Machines in gyms

Options
Tomm88
Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
Ok call me out on this if you disagree but i think machines in gyms are the worst thing for people looking to get better bodies and generally be healthier. I see so many people in gyms come in, sit on machines, get confortable and push the lightest weight possible, training shouldnt be comfortable, I really believe if the general population did more barbell or even dumbell training the world would be a fitter place. Machines dont work any stabilizing muscles and more importantly they dont work on posture like barbell movements do. anyway thats my opinion if you disagree let me know. I'm not to offend anyone with this by the way, i know some people can get sensitive with this stuff:p

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ok call me out on this if you disagree but i think machines in gyms are the worst thing for people looking to get better bodies and generally be healthier. I see so many people in gyms come in, sit on machines, get confortable and push the lightest weight possible, training shouldnt be comfortable, I really believe if the general population did more barbell or even dumbell training the world would be a fitter place. Machines dont work any stabilizing muscles and more importantly they dont work on posture like barbell movements do. anyway thats my opinion if you disagree let me know. I'm not to offend anyone with this by the way, i know some people can get sensitive with this stuff:p
    People also do this with free weights.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think you're overstating the case a bit there. I don't think machines should form the core of anyone's workout unless they have physical limitations of some kind. I find them very useful, however, for doing negatives, for example, when I don't have a spotter, and I wouldn't want to be without a leg curl machine. Also, during my last injury rehabilitation I found them invaluable. It's a matter of maximizing what you can do and sometimes that takes a mix of tools.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I do some machines and some free because I find both useful. :flowerforyou:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of good uses for machines.
    However a good number of people that use them don't really understand the basic concepts of how to best achieve their goals - and that certainly includes me in the past.

It's not helped that personal trainers either through ignorance, job preservation or not wanting to intimidate their clients often inappropriately get people using them.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you're paying so much attention to what everyone else is doing in the gym, then maybe you're not working hard enough. I'm not trying to offend on this, but when I'm pushing myself really hard in the gym, I barely notice if there's another person there, much less how much they're lifting.
  • Tomm88
    Options
    You see it alot these days that machines are the core of someones workout plan and i mean i get it! a leg press is way easier than squatting, I do believe though if you build a body using mostly machines and very little free weights it can lead to a disfuntional body, or atleast muscular imbalances.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You see it alot these days that machines are the core of someones workout plan and i mean i get it! a leg press is way easier than squatting, I do believe though if you build a body using mostly machines and very little free weights it can lead to a disfuntional body, or atleast muscular imbalances.
    What do you consider a dysfunctional body caused by working out on machines?
  • Tomm88
    Options
    @Galatea_Stone no offence taken you have a point but i'm progressing on lifts week to week month to month so what i'm doing must be working in a way. I do take longer rest periods than some thats just part of my programme so ye i can look at the floor or look around:).
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What do you consider a dysfunctional body caused by working out on machines?

Even more important why would anyone even care what he believes I know I sure don't.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You have a point, but I think you're missing the big picture.

Machines give someone a starting point to take responsibility for their own fitness goals. If what you're doing on a machine is more comfortable and gets you doing resistance training, then by all means do it. It's not for everyone just like SS or SL5x5 isn't for everyone. That's the point. Machines are, in a lot of cases, the catalyst for change. It's important what you do long term, yes, but overall it's more important that you start doing SOMETHING, to move toward your goals.

Telling a morbidly obese person that they need to be in the gym squatting plates in order to be 'fit' is just as bad. You've tried to get them to run before they've even started walking. They may even get injured.

There's also a lot of stigma around free weights ESPECIALLY for (a lot of) women. Hell, the dudes at my gym whipping around 110 dumbells and 'Broing out" in the free weight area is enough to make _me_ want to start working out at home and I've been lifting for years. It's intimidating at times.

So, if working on a machine gets you in the gym and doing something to better your life, so be it. While it may not be for you, it is a good launching pad to get someone in the habit of weightlifting. Especially if they have a lot of fat to lose or a lot of muscle to gain.
  • Tomm88
    Options
    @crusadersam you don't need to man keep doing what you're doing!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I was at a particular gym last year, the trainer actually had a program along with my doctor, I had to lift low amounts of weight, to help burn off specific areas, kind of a cardio-ish workout in machines plus actual cardio.

As to back exercises I could not lift high amounts nor squat as low since I had broken my back and shoulder a year before. So, on machines.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    help burn off specific areas,
    I hope you don't mean to burn off fat from specific areas.

If you do, I'd make sure you don't take further advice from the doctor or the trainer as the body doesn't work like that.

If you're talking about improving the muscle in certain areas, then that sort of thing is exactly what machines are for - targeting a single or a few muscles rather than working the whole body.
  • Tomm88
    Options
    As to back exercises I could not lift high amounts nor squat as low since I had broken my back and shoulder a year before. So, on machines.
    [/quote]

Ye that's something different if you have injuries of that level! sorry to hear about your back and shoulder by the way!
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Constant Resistance Equipment (AKA free weights): weight plates attached to machines that have no special attachments or adjustments that would alter their resistance. A five pound dumbbell or a barbell with 20 lbs on it or a stack of weight plates weighing 200lbs on it will remain the same weight (constant) throughout the ROM of a lift. There is alteration of tension on muscles due to lever systems (physics). Positive aspect= works with the body's lever system. Strength curver for particular joints and muscles involved in exercise being done. Muscle tension at greatest angle= most appropriate and most effective used as a lever during work for the individual.

+ easier to calibrate, easier to use as a motivational tool, easier to manipulate in programs

Variable Resistance Equipment (some sort of adjustment, attachment, or special medium which alters the resistive equipment). Not really idealistic for bodybuilders/powerlifters. it can be effective for people who simply desire to work out a couple times per week for general fitness. Great for circuit style training. Just not as effective/efficient as constant resistance equipment.

Accommodating Variable Resistance: uses some sort of adjusting gear, mechanism, air, or fluid to control the speed of movement. Great for rehabilitation or specific movement because of weak muscles/pain.

Negatives: no eccentric or negative work, progress is difficult, motivation is difficult, significant strength gains are limited.

Free weights: Free weights adapt to the lifter and particular body type. Free weights are not attached to anything else and require balance. Assistive muscles are used a great deal more. People develop more body awareness. Usually greater gains

Negative: possibility of dropping a weight, take longer to load=longer workouts, require a lot of handling (weights), need for spotters.

Machines: problem of weight falling is not really a factor, facilitate faster workouts, easy to use, great for circuit training

Negative: person has to adapt to a machine. Machines manufactured to fit average body type. too much muscle isolation (less synergist work), require little balance less effective on assistive muscles, lower body workouts are not as thorough.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    No issue with spotters or dropping weights for free weights for me as I use an appropriate rack/cage.

But, I've got my own setup.

In a gym, the issue can be more waiting for someone else to get out of the rack so you can use it :).
  • louisekerry86
    Options
    I started using the machines back in January, before that I'd never done any lifting or anything before. I only very recently moved to free weights. I mean in the last few days. I'd say the machines were good for getting me to this point, I use the free weights in all my workouts now. I do use the leg press but I do 60 squats every day as well and only use the leg press once a week.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like the machines. They give me something to do while I'm waiting for a bar. I guess I could stand there tapping my toes and glaring... or use the dumbells. But I like the machines. lol
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I disagree completely. Machines are a great way for beginners to get into working out. The weight room is incredibly intimidating, especially for females who are new to the gym. If every girl that came to the gym was forced to use free weights only, I guarantee you that a lot of us would quit right away. The machines are a good way to ease into it more and they help to build your confidence when you are just starting out in trying to lose weight. Without those machines, I would have given up a long time ago. I also disagree when you say working out shouldn't be comfortable. For some people, that is really the only way for them to work out for a long period of time. Now of course, people should push themselves and up the resistance when they feel it getting way too easy, but you also don't have to kill yourself at the gym to get a good workout.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's just another tool, at the end of the day.

It's not my bag, but who cares? If someone's doing something, enjoying it, and getting some improvement out of it - surely that's a good thing, no? I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and say they can't do it. Whatever gets you moving and more active is good in my book.