Machines in gyms

Options

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's just another tool, at the end of the day.

It's not my bag, but who cares? If someone's doing something, enjoying it, and getting some improvement out of it - surely that's a good thing, no? I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and say they can't do it. Whatever gets you moving and more active is good in my book.

This makes sense to this lifting beginner. I am starting to incorporate some free weights, use machines mostly, but have a history of joint issues, am obese and don't want to injure myself! Taking it slowly and increasing the resistance regularly as the reps get easier.
    Starting to love it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You see it alot these days that machines are the core of someones workout plan and i mean i get it! a leg press is way easier than squatting, I do believe though if you build a body using mostly machines and very little free weights it can lead to a disfuntional body, or atleast muscular imbalances.
    My local gym is full of young lads who only ever seem to do 12 different varieties of bicep curls using free weights. Now that's a good way to get muscular imbalance!!

A lot of the time it not the equipment you are using but how you are using it. I would argue that for complete beginners it's more likely they get a balanced routine using a circuit of the machines rather than picking up a barbell when they haven't got a Scooby Doo what to do with it.

Without talking to everyone you have no idea what those people's goals, experience, capabilities and restrictions are. You might look down your nose at me using the leg press machine without realising that I can't squat (well I can but I actually don't enjoy being in crippling pain and losing the ability to walk....).

Personally I like variety so I use dumbbells, barbells, machines and body weight exercises.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Personally I like variety so I use dumbbells, barbells, machines and body weight exercises.

Ditto!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ok call me out on this if you disagree but i think machines in gyms are the worst thing for people looking to get better bodies and generally be healthier.

Actually the worst thing for people would be not doing anything.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload is the name of the game. You can cash that out a bunch of different ways.

Just like:

- All barbell routines do not need to be 5x5

- All weighted routines do not need to use barbells.

- All progressive resistance routines do no need to use weights.

There's a fair bit of group-think on the internet. But really there's a whole slew of ways to train.

Do something you enjoy and that is progressive - you'll benefit more from it at the end of the day.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ok call me out on this if you disagree but i think machines in gyms are the worst thing for people looking to get better bodies and generally be healthier.

Actually the worst thing for people would be not doing anything.

Yep. I tend to stick to free weights but doing something is better than nothing.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    help burn off specific areas,
    I hope you don't mean to burn off fat from specific areas.

If you do, I'd make sure you don't take further advice from the doctor or the trainer as the body doesn't work like that.

If you're talking about improving the muscle in certain areas, then that sort of thing is exactly what machines are for - targeting a single or a few muscles rather than working the whole body.

No, I meant to build up the muscle in it and trigger the overall burn.

I had started at the gym picking up the weights and pushing really high amounts of weight, but instead of decreasing sizes on my limbs & bum (I'm very large), my limbs were turning really hard to the touch and remained the same size and weight (even after water weight was lost) and fat/muscle percentage was still over 50%.

TL;DR I was working out in a level 200 when I was meant to start in a 20 :frown:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload is the name of the game. You can cash that out a bunch of different ways.

Just like:

- All barbell routines do not need to be 5x5

- All weighted routines do not need to use barbells.

- All progressive resistance routines do no need to use weights.

There's a fair bit of group-think on the internet. But really there's a whole slew of ways to train.

Do something you enjoy and that is progressive - you'll benefit more from it at the end of the day.

i'm pretty sure you're wrong about this. i learnt it on the MFP forums that anything more than 5 reps is cardio and no amount of lifting counts if it didn't involve a barbell.

also if i ever do core work (that's not a squat or deadlift, of course) i'm a total loser. i love it here. i learn so many thingeses.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    also if i ever do core work (that's not a squat or deadlift, of course) i'm a total loser. i love it here. i learn so many thingeses.

Ha ha: core work! What a loser!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

double loser since he does his crunches in the squat rack.

i like using pretty much everything at my gym since it's expensive and I want to make sure i get my money's worth.

machines are good for people who are building up a basic foundation of strength. they also can be very good for people who are new to working out and need to have some "wins" at the start of their workout life in order to keep motivation. not everyone is OK with "failing" at something the first time they try it. I think that's especially true for women who are already skittish abouy wiorking out in the weight room and looking stupid.

i know people who find it hard holdind a bar behind their back because of shoulder flexibiliy or people who find the empty barbell too heavy for bench pressing. those people can instead hop on the leg press and chest press and start developing some strength along with some cofidence.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah so, I started strength-training by using machines, b/c I wasn't strong enough to lift a 45lb bar. Not all of the machines at the gym are useless, especially for an untrained, beginner.

I do agree that using a barbell is probably better for many movements...once you have graduated to that level. Using a barbell to squat vs. using the leg press requires more balance and core strength. I still use the leg press one day a week, b/c I like it.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

machinese are good for people who are building up a basic foundation of strength. they also can be very good for people who are new to working out and need to have some "wins" at the start of their workout life in order to keep motivation. not everyone is OK with "failing" at something the first time they try it. I think that's especially true for women who are already skittish abouy wiorking out in the weight room and looking stupid.

i know people who find it hard holdind a bar behind their back because of shoulder flexibiliy or people who find the empty barbell too heavy for bench pressing. those people can instead hop on the leg press and chest press and start developing some strength along with some cofidence.

They are also good for rehab. I am in week 4 of a mandatory 12-week rehab schedule. From there, I get to return to the gym. Three years ago, I progressed from body weight to machines to free weights and in 8 weeks, I get to do it all over again.

As you spend your time looking around at others while you rest between sets, maybe you can drop the judgment and focus on the one thing you can influence - you. Go team.

Edited because I seemed to forgotten how to spell.
  • jimmmer
    Options

He's obviously the reason I can't get in there to do my curls...
  • DavPul
    Options

you couldn't wait five more minutes before sounding the lunk alarm?!?!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

machinese are good for people who are building up a basic foundation of strength. they also can be very good for people who are new to working out and need to have some "wins" at the start of their workout life in order to keep motivation. not everyone is OK with "failing" at something the first time they try it. I think that's especially true for women who are already skittish abouy wiorking out in the weight room and looking stupid.

They are also good for rehab. I am in week 4 of a mandatory 12-week rehab schedule. From there, I get to return to the gym. Three years ago, I progressed from body weight to machines to free weights and in 8 weeks, I get to do it all over again.

As you spend your time looking around at others while you rest between sets, maybe you can drop the judgment and focus on the one thing you can influence - you. Go team.

Edited because I seemed to forgotten how to spell.

Probably because you use machines.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I think everybody should hula hoop, do resistance exercises with therapy bands, run, and belly dance. It's the ONLY thing that works really.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think everybody should hula hoop, do resistance exercises with therapy bands, run, and belly dance. It's the ONLY thing that works really.

I suddenly have the urge to see many on my FL belly dancing. I truly do.
  • DavPul
    Options

only if you eat 80/10/10.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I support machines in the same way I support Planet Fitness. Anything to keep a squat rack free.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

You forgot the mini trampoline! :noway: