Eating too much fat?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong. The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain.

This is so wrong it's almost funny.
    Why don't you share your extensive knowledge of physiology with me.

Go ahead and use the big words. I'll try to keep up.

I am more interested in your evidence that the brain only uses sugar.
    Go to a library. Pick up a book on Physiology. Read.

You'll learn all you want to know about how the brain uses glucose and how when the body runs out - like if you were starving - it will send messages out to the rest of the body and things will start being converted. The liver and gluconeogensis are particularly fascinating. To me, anyway.

If you're looking for Internet stuff, you'll need to do it on your own. Google. :)

Listen. I realize you mean glucose, but calling it "sugar" isn't exactly helpful. If you find one single scholarly source that says "sugar" my bad.
    Glucose is a sugar.

If you just want to fight on the Internet, I'll concede that you're always right and much smarter than me and we need never get into it again. I have no interest in that silliness.

If you genuinely have an interest in these things - and why everyone doesn't, I don't know because it's fascinating! - the library has textbooks available to read for free! You don't even have to pay for a class and $500 for the textbook set. I hear they're going for about $500 now, I don't know.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    when you eat at a deficit, you lose weight.

what %s of macros you eat, depends on two things (in this order)
    1 - doctors orders for you (not something you read on the internet - advice based off of actual test results from a real takes your insurance doctor)
    2 - what works for you (example, more protein makes you full)

eta - if you have a medical reason to worry about your macros, you will end up talking to a nutritionalist (at least if you have a halfway decent/intelligent doctor). you want to talk to someone who can both understand your condition/test results AND give you nutrition advice... a pcp is not this person, but is a good place to start for tests and referrals. you can usually get a nutritionalist covered by insurance, and those meetings can be done over the phone too!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong. The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain.

You'll learn all you want to know about how the brain uses glucose and how when the body runs out - like if you were starving - it will send messages out to the rest of the body and things will start being converted. The liver and gluconeogensis are particularly fascinating. To me, anyway.

If you're looking for Internet stuff, you'll need to do it on your own. Google. :)

Listen. I realize you mean glucose, but calling it "sugar" isn't exactly helpful. If you find one single scholarly source that says "sugar" my bad.
    Glucose is a sugar.

If you just want to fight on the Internet, I'll concede that you're always right and much smarter than me and we need never get into it again. I have no interest in that silliness.

If you genuinely have an interest in these things - and why everyone doesn't, I don't know because it's fascinating! - the library has textbooks available to read for free! You don't even have to pay for a class and $500 for the textbook set. I hear they're going for about $500 now, I don't know.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

Fight on the internet? No. I just hate to see people try to correct misinformation with really wobbly terminology that could easily confuse somebody without more education. If you are as well studied as you are trying to portray yourself, you know that glucose is a type of sugar that differs from other sugars in significant ways and those differences are critical when talking about the brain.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

Glucose is ONE TYPE of sugar. There's also sucrose, lactose and a whole bunch of other OSE's that the brain DOES NOT use, so it's perfectly fair to point out that your statement lacked precision in a similar way to the statement of the brains' using fat, no the organ itself does not use fatty acids as a direct fuel source, but given that lipids are readily converted by the body into usable fuel, it is in fact *using* fat as a fuel.

Thanks, but I used to teach the class, I got all my textbooks for free that way.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

Glucose is ONE TYPE of sugar. There's also sucrose, lactose and a whole bunch of other OSE's that the brain DOES NOT use, so it's perfectly fair to point out that your statement lacked precision in a similar way to the statement of the brains' using fat, no the organ itself does not use fatty acids as a direct fuel source, but given that lipids are readily converted by the body into usable fuel, it is in fact *using* fat as a fuel.

Thanks, but I used to teach the class, I got all my textbooks for free that way.

Meanie.

Everyone should know what s/he meant because textbooks.
  • Kalikel
    Options

No need to use big words. I'll break it down for you.

* The person who said your brain needs fat was wrong.

This is obviously false. It is like claiming muscles don't need protein, because they use glucose for energy. While your brain is not powered by fat, it doesn't negate the fact that it requires it.

* The brain uses sugar. That's all it can use. Sugar is what fuels the brain.

Sugar is not the same thing as glucose. Sugar has dietary implications (aka, you're implying that you need to eat some sugar to power the brain). This is false. The brain runs on glucose (and/or ketones). In the absence of a dietary source of glucose the body can manufacture glucose from other sources, as well as run many parts on ketones. There is absolutely no requirement for dietary sugar for powering your brain.

If you doubt this, please explain to me how much glucose is stored in the human body, how much is used each day by the brain, and how people who fast for extended periods of time don't drop dead when the glucose stores run out (which will happen in under a week).
    Glucose is a sugar. I neither said, nor implied that one must by what is labeled "sugar" in the store and proceed to eat the granules or die, lol.

We use a lot of broad terms around here, like calorie, protein, fat, etc.

I'm not going to fight about it, nor attempt to demonstrate my knowledge as some sort of proof of...anything. It's silly.

If you're ever in Florida and want to discuss physiology, I'd be happy to do that. It's fun for me. I love it. I mean that. :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

Well he is "technically" correct. I suppose it serves as a substitute to actually correct for some people.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Down with glucose!!!!!

Just kidding. OP, as another person mentioned dietary fat is a necessary macronutrient. Stay under your calorie goal and you will lose weight. That being said, getting as much protein and fat as possible may help with satiety. Good luck OP!
  • Kalikel
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

On a college level? Where did you teach? I understand if you don't want to say. But if you do, cool.

Did you major in A&P?

Do I know you?

They weren't pointing out a lack of precision. They said I was wrong. So wrong as to be funny.

May not have been as detailed as possible, but not wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

On a college level? Where did you teach? I understand if you don't want to say. But if you do, cool.

Did you major in A&P?

Do I know you?

gets-the-hose-again-gif1.gif
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is real.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Most of us are not professional nutritionists or doctors but we can share our experiences and what has worked or not worked for us. Without entering into metabolic pathway and philosophical discussions on how our body reacts to food types, ratios and food combinations. Whether "low fat foods" are loaded with stabilisers, sweeteners (natural and artificial) etc....

Top level - having a higher fat % and lower sodium as you have in general principles described - this is fine and if you find supportive of your goals and you have increased energy and vibrancy for life - then keep doing what is working.

My general rule for a product is that if it looks like it was cooked up in a laboratory with numbers and names that look like another language then these are less natural and personally I would consider limiting these.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. But, we both know that is not relevant. You have no intention of actually completing this discussion. You're just attempting to move the forum to a time and place where you expect no one to be there. Why? You have a forum here. Enlighten us. No more references to books or future times/places. You're so well versed in this subject area; you can easily summarize it in a clear and precise manner for everyone here.

Or you could admit you were laughably wrong. That works too.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Glucose is a sugar.

Fight on the internet? No. I just hate to see people try to correct misinformation with really wobbly terminology that could easily confuse somebody without more education. If you are as well studied as you are trying to portray yourself, you know that glucose is a type of sugar that differs from other sugars in significant ways and those differences are critical when talking about the brain.
    I don't think it's critical to get deep down into detailed stuff. You might. I don't. We discuss all kinds of things here with very Broad terms and that's cool. If you want to be uber-detailed in all your responses because you think it's critical, go for it.

I do not say that I'm "well studied" or well-read. I have said this many times: The only people who consider me well-read are people who aren't. That's the truth. I've argued this endlessly with friends. The definition of "well-read" seems to vary as much as the definition of "clean eating."

I am not what I'd consider "well-read."
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I live in Florida. But, we both know that is not relevant. You have no intention of actually completing this discussion. You're just attempting to move the forum to a time and place where you expect no one to be there. Why? You have a forum here. Enlighten us. No more references to books or future times/places. You're so well versed in this subject area; you can easily summarize it in a clear and precise manner for everyone here.

Or you could admit you were laughably wrong. That works too.
    No, I totally meant it. I said I did! And if you want to, I'd be delighted. Happy, happy. If you want to be human about it and not argue. You're not that far from me. If you really want to, we should do that in the fall. It's too hot out for me now. I'm hibernating. Plus, the chance of rain is 99% and 100% when I go out.

But I'm not debating. I'm sorry I pointed out to that person that another poster was wrong about the brain needing fat. Didn't realize people would be so upset.

I'm sorry you didn't like the term "sugar" instead of the more specific "glucose" or even more specific things.

I was actually trying to be a little helpful, not get everyone into a fury.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options

You need to step back and stop this garbage. Glucose is one of the fuels to the brain. Preferred fuel for brain is Beta hydroxy butarate.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    OP fat can be too much if it comes with high carbs and high fat. I eat 80% of my cals from fat every day but I keep the carbs low. You need to decide what macros fits for you.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    So, you're standing by your statement about the brain not needing fat? That was the part that was indefensible. The sugar/glucose thing you could have tried to explain away (not logically, considering this whole thread is about what the OP is eating, but you could have pretended you weren't speaking about food). The brain absolutely requires fat. Further, there are fats that can't be adequately manufactured by the body and must be eaten. No matter how you slice it, your statement was laughably wrong.

Edit: Here is a link supporting my claims. Since, you know, I am not laughably wrong.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20329590/