"Is it even worth it ?"

Options
13»

Replies

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed that driving up a hill was that much work.

+1

Doesn't the car, like...do the work for you? What am I missing, here?

Well, I suppose there 'might' be some energy expenditure if you are driving a stick... maybe enough for a couple tic tac's or a lifesaver!

Wait! I drive a stick! ...How do I document this? :D
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    If driving to and from your walking place is too strenuous, perhaps try something smaller and at home. Log your food, all of it, every day, and consider adding some nutrition rather than quite so many sweets and junk foods. As others have suggested, walk from home, go somewhere closer. Exercise is good but it isn't going to outrun your dietary habits.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed that driving up a hill was that much work.

+1

Doesn't the car, like...do the work for you? What am I missing, here?

This was my thought too...I also get driving anxiety, but I don't think I'd classify it as "exercise" lol
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I cycled to the summit of Jenkin Road four times yesterday. Twice up the front, twice from the other side.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it or search on Youtube.

That was in the middle of a 60 mile cycle ride to and from watching the Tour de France.

I'm still wondering what the hell possessed me...

Way to go carlosjenno! I know exactly the road. Love me some TDF:smile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Each person will designate what it is worth. hat is a personal choice and what makes you either go up the hill, or sit home.

I've always been one to take the challenge. I know where what I am doing will get me, but I ALWAYS want to see what is on the next ridge.

I'm driving baby!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing driving up and down hills is something that frightens you (I actually have this a bit, I'm afraid the car will roll uncontrollably hahah - very unexplained I have no idea why I'm like this).

If you enjoy the view of going around the lake enough to make you exercise and put up with the fear of driving up hill (I'm guessing on a narrow road as well?) then yes it's worth it.

However, if you would be more likely to bike ride elsewhere even with a worse view, I'd do that instead. The point is to exercise and ENJOY it so you will keep doing it! :smile:
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If it causes you that much stress, driving up there is not worth it for you.
    If you are already there, however, you might as well make the most of it. Exercise relieves stress you know...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You driving one of these? I'm totally at a loss here.

flintstones.jpg

That's what I was gonna ask! I'm glad I read comments before posting. :bigsmile:
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    [...] you feel like you spent so much energy driving the 20 minutes up to the lake (ears popping and all). Also having a slight anxiety episode (ie omg omg omg omg -heart pounding- omg omg omg) while in the car takes a lot out of you as well.

I drive 2 hours to work, one way, 5 days a week. This includes up hills, down backroads, across major highways, and through a large city with lots of public transpo and pedestrians. Yes, it takes a tremendous toll on me physically and mentally. Because my daily commute sucks that much, it actually motivates me to get outside and exercise when and wherever I can.

How much energy are you really spending on your pathetic 20 minute trip to the lake? Please. Cry me an ocean.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    178653.jpg
    I... um... if this were an issue, I think I would drive to the foot of the big scary hill, and then walk up it to the pretty lake. Yeah, that sounds good to me.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This nerdfighter/muggle loves herself some running around lakes.

But if you're an anxious driver, maybe have someone else take the wheel?

Or just take a Tardis. Or Apparate there. Have Gandalf send a giant bird to carry you? So many options!

How did I miss this?! :laugh:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    exactly - very well put!
    If it causes you that much stress, driving up there is not worth it for you.
    If you are already there, however, you might as well make the most of it. Exercise relieves stress you know...
  • makwich
    makwich Posts: 4
    Options
    If you all can't understand what the OP is asking (I couldn't either at first, but I figured it out), then ask for clarification or keep your mouth shut. The occasional joke is one thing; outright insulting someone is just uncalled for.
    To the OP, if you get that anxious, it's probably not worth it. Stick closer to home or save the trip for once a week or month or so.