What is your jogging speed?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I trail run hilly/mountainous terrain and my pace is 10 min mile usually but sometimes I run/walk and then it's more like an 11 min mile. I can't emotionally run on flat ground. I hate it so much that I actually run more slowly.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Every body is different. I have short legs and so speed is not my goal. Getting up and doing it regularly without injury, and slowly building my time and distance, is what keeps me going. Looking forward to more outdoor runs as I get stronger. While I have started a running program at least a dozen times over the years, this is the longest I have stuck with it, and the big difference this time is running in socks on the treadmill instead of shoes. My brain and my soles are working it together this time!
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I run in intervals on a treadmil, typically jogging at 4.5 for 3-5 minutes and then walking at 3.5 for 3-5 minutes.

There's no shame in going slow. If you go too fast, you won't be able to sustain it long enough to make any progress. When I first started running last month I would walk at 3.2 and run at 4.0. My intervals were shorter, as was my overall time spent running.

Go at whatever pace you need to go at, and slowly work upwards as you become more comfortable. Honestly, I found that for me changing my speed from 4.0 to 4.5 wasn't that big of a deal for me. Changing my resting speed from 3.2 to 3.5, on the other hand, really kicked my butt at first.
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I "run" between 4 and 4.5 miles per hour. It's the only way I can go longer than just a couple of minutes. I can run over a mile if I run at those lower speeds, so that's what I do. Running is running, man, the speed doesn't matter unless you're trying to win a race, and I'm assuming you're just doing this for fitness. :)
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A few years back I started running and it used to take me an hour to do 5 km with a break at half way. My PB is around 27 mins now and I did my first full marathon last year. Don't worry how fast other people run. Do what you can and with some training and commitment, you can achieve much more than you ever thought.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started running about 8 months ago and have been working on building speed and distance slowly. My first complete mile running was 13.10 minutes.

My most recent 5k time was 33.20 and this week I ran my fastest mile at 10.24....but generally I'm around 11 - 11.30 minutes per mile for 3-4 miles. If I do longer distances (5-6 miles) I walk more, so I average between 13 & 14 minutes per mile.

Speed doesn't really matter, just make sure you're enjoying it and you'll get faster in no time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You will run faster if you're running from the cops.

Just sayin'.

Or a bear...

Depends, if the bear is their type, they'll slow down for the bear...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You get faster by doing it, same as you can lift heavier weights by doing that, too. I started with a screaming fast 2.5 MPH pace when I was starting out; my 1k pace is 8:15 minutes per mile, the last road 2k I did was 8:57 minutes/mile.

Treadmill tests? Still working on what the top speed is. The last one was 9:44 pace, and I'm still cranking the speed up.

Tl;dr: run to run faster. It'll come.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    you'll be a real runner when you start measuring your speed by minute/mile, not by mph.
    that's kind of unnecessarily pretentious. There's no definition to live up to in order to be considered a "real runner". Or, did i miss the "real runners' handbook"?

regarding the OP, it varies for me depending on where i am. when I'm home in Florida, I tend to settle into a 9:30-10min/mile pace (with distance varying from 9 - 14 miles at a time). When I run out in California when visiting my SO, my energy really kicks up and my pace increases significantly. My last trip out there had me averaging 8:30 min/mile for my 12 milers.
  • mollymcdonald0
    mollymcdonald0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I started c25k download it, its an app on your phone to help guide you! hope that helps good luck!
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am slow...slower than a turtle riding a wave of cold molasses slow, but I am determined that one day I will be a runner. So I was just wondering for comparison and goal-setting purposes, what is your typical jogging/running speed? I clocked in at a sad 4 mph this morning.

You are a runner already! I read on here the other day that running is actually the gait you use, not the speed you go.

For what its worth, I run anywhere between an 11 and 13 minute mile.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree about competing against yourself!
    Last time I completed the C25K, then made the mistake of looking up 'average' running speeds... set out on the trail and IMMEDIATELY injured myself trying to go that fast :( By the time I finished with therapists for my leg, I was over it and JUST started back 2 weeks ago (after about 2 years :(!)
    So, now I started trying to go 6 miles an hour on the run parts of C25K, but this week switched to 5 mph because it was just too much and my leg was already hurting again.
    I remember from last time, my speed was already increasing at a natural progression, but I just got in a hurry and ruined it for myself.
    THIS time, I'm trying to listen to my (46 yr old) body ;)
    Congratulations on starting!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I read this whole post wondering the same thing. Do I have a decent pace? So it seemes it's time to toot my own horn a bit - I run a 8:15 mile. That works out to 7.2mph. I've been frustrated with it lately, at the end of every run I've been trying to shave time and I come in within 10-20s of my previous time for a 2 mile run. For a guy that hates running - apparently (according to the group here) this is a pretty decent time. Yeah me!

I started out exactly like everyone here. Run - walk - run - walk. I never used one of the C25K approaches, though it sounds great. Just keep with it. I eventually did that often enough that one run I just gritted my teeth and decided "no walking this time". then every time after that I just pushed myself to try and beat last time. I don't keep a clock with me (though I should). I just start a stopwatch at my porch and stop it when I finish. It's kind of a mental thing "gotta get back to that stopwatch ASAP".
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    About a 10 minute mile
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    any jog is better than no jog :)

I rotate speeds on the treadmill using the 5K program normally (sometimes do hilly) speed 4.6 for 5min then walk a min then 5.3 for 3 min and rotate until the program ends.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was beating my self up pretty bad when someone sent me a pintrest that stated "I run. I am slower then a herd of turtles stomping through peanut butter but I run". Like my friend pointed out to me, I shouldn't beat my self up about my speed and be proud because I am doing something most people will not attempt in their life time.

This reminds me of another one I saw on Pinterest: "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch." And that's true and I keep repeating that to myself as I shuffle/jog along at 3mph. I'm still running faster than everyone who isn't doing anything. I also tell myself that this is my speed *TODAY*. It won't always be that way. I will get better the more I run. And I am doing better than yesterday. ;-)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am very, very slow...like I could probably walk as fast as I run. But I am determined to get stronger and better at it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Any running is better than no running in my opinion.

Gotta disagree. No running is DEFINITELY better than any running.

My running speed? 0mph. In other words, this girl don't run. Lifting = winning.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I trail run hilly/mountainous terrain and my pace is 10 min mile usually but sometimes I run/walk and then it's more like an 11 min mile. I can't emotionally run on flat ground. I hate it so much that I actually run more slowly.

^this is the truth - trial running is such an amazing experience

@LyndseyLovesT - to each their own - I will agree with you that lifting is much better than running and tons of ppl would be in much better shape if they invested an hour lifting instead of an hour walking burning 89calories chugging a 100calorie Gatorade when they are done thinking they made any difference at all. I think many many ppl need a combo of endurance running, and HIIT or SIT.

However, it is worth noting that for some of us running is a deep, special experience I look forward to all day - I love my gym time, I love the rewarding feeling it gives and how I can mold my body any way I want - but running is a special special form of escape for myself because you can even escape from yourself when your pushing your body to the limit - particularly when you run 5-6 miles THEN do HIIT.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I started running a few years ago I want to say my average pace was about 12:30/mi. I have run off and on since then with varied levels of dedication. In the spring of 2013 I did a half marathon, running in 10 minute increments with a one minute walk between for an average pace of around 11:20/mi. I've been running more regularly the past few months. Back in April and May I was aiming to run under 11 minute miles for 3 miles. I swiftly lost 8ish pounds due to stress in June and my speed jumped up pretty significantly. In late June I ran my fastest mile ever at 8:52. I never, ever thought I'd see an 8 at the front of my mile pace! I've been running somewhere around 10-10:20 minute miles the past couple weeks. I'm slower on a treadmill. Slower in the heat/humidity. And I'm short and not naturally all that athletic.

The more you stick with it, the faster you'll become. I have found that I stick with it really well for a while and get to the point of being able to run 3 miles in about 30 minutes and then for whatever reason I back off of running. I get bored doing the same thing, so I bounce between a lot of lifting and a lot of running but never a lot of both. But as soon as I stop running regularly I lose progress very quickly! Three miles has been hard for me even though I was running 8-13 miles fairly easily in 2013. It doesn't take long to lose progress! Right now I can run 2 miles around my 10mm pace and then I need to take a short walk break before finishing my last mile.

I'm at the point right now where I'm trying to decide if it is better for me to have an overall faster pace even taking 2 walk breaks into account, or if I feel more accomplished by not walking at all but going a little slower. I feel like I cheated when I do the first thing, but my overall time is almost definitely better with two walk breaks of about 45 seconds each.