What is your jogging speed?

Options

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I trail run hilly/mountainous terrain and my pace is 10 min mile usually but sometimes I run/walk and then it's more like an 11 min mile. I can't emotionally run on flat ground. I hate it so much that I actually run more slowly.

^this is the truth - trial running is such an amazing experience

I don't trail run as often as I'd like but love it when I do! It's exhilarating and being in the woods and in nature makes it such a great experience!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    It’s important to remember that you are up and running, just do your best and try and push yourself a little further and a little fast each time.

With that being said, for me there are a lot of variables that come into play; such as time of day, running surface, distance and so on. I live on a 2.5 mile long peninsula that can have a pretty strong wind that changes direction on a dime, which if I’m running on the beach as most of my spring – fall runs are, the winds and the sand have a big impact on my speed and distance.
    Like many people I start out a little slower and get faster as I warm up. On the beach I can have anywhere between 4.0 -5.0 mph while on the road surface I can have anywhere from 5.5-7.0 mph.

Just remember you don’t have to be faster than the lion, bear, or zombie that’s chasing you; you just need to be faster than the person next to you. ;-)
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I average out at 6.5mph when doing anything up to 6 miles. After that, I tend to slow to 6mph. When I do short runs (5k) I tend to run at 7mph
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    my speed for longer distances is turtle slow until I am warmed up When I sprint I am pretty fast.

I would not worry about speed comparisons you have to start somewhere pretty soon you will be a cheetah
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 5.25 mph and 6ish mph for me. I am probably faster than that in cool weather, but if the temperature is much over 60 degrees F, I get slower and slower. I run once or twice a week-- much of my exercise is from gardening and biking in the summer and I find running kind of miserable when it is hot outside.

It definitely helps to work at it and do it regularly. I was running more often in the winter and spring and was probably in better cardiovascular shape then than I am presently. I'm more concerned with getting stronger right now than getting faster. :)
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    yeah^ Actually just to be straight up it is better to start off as a turtle anyway to build up your ligaments and get your muscles ready for the motion - your risking an injury if you go b@lls to the w@ll flying right outta da gate, rather move at a steady gait and slowly, incrementally increase the distance prior to the speed. Get that one mile to turn into 1.2 miles etc. and once you are knocking out 3 miles, even super slow - your ganna be able to increase your speed without even acknowledgment of it.

I highly highly highly recommend starting SLOOOOW- an injury would set you back much further then training responsibly.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Gotta disagree. No running is DEFINITELY better than any running.

My running speed? 0mph. In other words, this girl don't run. Lifting = winning.

Horses for courses. Lifting bores me to tears.

I run, my cross training is cycling and rowing. I do some resistance training, but in practice the running and rowing do enough for muscle balance in my legs and core. Of course if my running and cycling were restricted to indoors in a gym, the complementary effects wouldn't be as significant, so resistance training would become more important.

I don't do indoors...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    99 miles per hour baby, is how fast that I like to go....

tumblr_n0avujJcDu1qghliho6_400.gif
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm usually between 5.5 - 6 mph depending on how I feel and how far I'm running.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    9.5-12 km/h (5.9-7.5 miles/hour). That's 6 min 19 sec/km - 5 min/km for real runners.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    9.5-12 km/h (5.9-7.5 miles/hour). That's 6 min 19 sec/km - 5 min/km for real runners.

real runners? where do i sign up to be a real runner, i think i'm a fake one.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My forever pace is 12 min/mile. I can bust out a sub 11 min/mile 5k, and a sub 10 min/mile single mile.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i've been running for about three years and training for a triathlon all year. my next tri has a 10k so i'm running an hour at a time these days. i still run 11:30 minute miles. i've been known to crank out an eleven minute mile or a bit less in a 5k, but i have to really focus on running fast. i've considered trying HIIT and other ways to increase my speed, but i kinda like running slow. i get to see what's going on around me :) i might try increasing my speed over the winter, but not while i'm also training for a race.

also, i run on a lakefront path and i see TONS of people running slower than me. and of course, many are running faster. i think if you're getting out there and getting exercise, you should be proud of yourself!! keep at it!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

STOP IT
  • eb30
    eb30 Posts: 1
    Options
    Honeslty I wouldn't worry about pace I would worry about the amount of minutes you are running. The Coach to 5k aps are great even if you are never going to actully run 3.1 miles. They have you run for a few min then walk and build you up with time. After you can run for say 30 min straight then work on your pace.

Just remember KEEPING YOUR FEET MOVING IS KEY .....NOT HOW FAST YOU FINISH THE RACE !!!
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    6 - 7 miles / hour (or a 10 min / mile), and I normally run anywhere between 1 - 2 hrs / day, 4 - 5 days / week, it has taken me 4 years to get me to this point, I started out by doing 30 second sprints on the treadmill, and now you will never catch me on one of those (LOL).

Just remember it doesn't matter how long you've been running, how far you've run, how fast you've run, if this is your first run or if this is your 100th run, (there's no such thing as a "real runner" or a "wannabe runner") if you run, then you're a runner.

If you take 2 people and one person ran a 6 min / mile and the other person ran a 12 min / mile, you both ran a mile, and that is awesome :D

Keep up the good work, and just keep running.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    It really depends on the run I'm doing, how I feel etc. it really varies. The last 5k I did I was at a 9:30 minute mile pace. Sometimes if I'm really feeling it (and I have music playing) when I do a loop in my neighborhood I can do it at an 8:45/9 minute mile pace.

In all honesty though it doesn't matter what any one else does. It only matters what YOU do.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    Any running is better than no running in my opinion.

Gotta disagree. No running is DEFINITELY better than any running.

My running speed? 0mph. In other words, this girl don't run. Lifting = winning.

For you maybe.

I run. I bike. I lift. To me that's a win-win-win.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    you'll be a real runner when you start measuring your speed by minute/mile, not by mph.

Interesting.

I had no idea that there were real runners and fake runners. So what you're saying is that if I see someone running in my neighborhood and I ask them what's their pace and they say "7 mph!" even though I see them running they're not actually running?
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options

real runners? where do i sign up to be a real runner, i think i'm a fake one.

*kicks stones* Guess I'm a fake runner too.