Hard Boiled Eggs

Options

Replies

• anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Just tried a recipe this past weekend where you cook them in the oven (in a muffin pan to keep from rolling)--325 for 30 mins, then an ice bath to cool them down. Peeled perfectly every time.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I make them all at once, usually after they sit in the fridge for a day, they get super easy to crack.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just boil the water with a teaspoon of BAKING SODA, add eggs and cook for about 9 minutes. Remove from water, run under cold water to stop the cooking process.

If shells don't come off easily, I just roll them on the counter and rinse them in water. Someone else mentioned that it's definitely very difficult to peel very fresh eggs!!
  • qwicherbytchin
    Options
    This will sound weird...and I didn't think it would work, but I tried it anyway. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water when you boil them. Since I started doing that, I've not had a single issue peeling eggs.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Ugg! Peeling eggs is one of my pet peeves.

I viewed some videos demonstrating egg peeling multiple eggs in 10 seconds. I have tried it and it works! Basically, after cooking the eggs, place eggs back in the pan with a little water, cover, and shake the pan like mad. The shells fall off.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upB6iNChSz0

This works for me too, and the fresh egg thing. The fresher the eggs, the worse they are to peel.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Don't use fresh eggs you bought in the store the same day, wait until they have been in the fridge for a week.

This.

Boil water, drop in eggs, cover pot, remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Dump out hot water, add a little cold water, put lid back on pot and set back in sink, shake the living crap out of the pot.

The eggs banging against each other obliterates the shells. Then you can just rinse them clean.
  • whatsallthisthen
    whatsallthisthen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So I've tried both the baking soda and salt tips (from small to higher volumes) with little impact on peelability.

You know what does make a difference?

The eggs can't be too fresh. The older an egg is the easier it is to peel.

I will buy an extra carton of eggs and leave them the fridge a week or so then boil them, like magic they are easy to peel. Or, leave them on the counter a couple of days(this is fine, seriously. ) and they will be similarly easy to peel.

Try it!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Don't use fresh eggs you bought in the store the same day, wait until they have been in the fridge for a week.

This is my solution too. Make sure the eggs have been in the fridge for a while. The leaving them on the counter for a couple days method works on the same principle-- the membrane of the egg inside the shell needs to dry out a little to be easily separated from the rest of the egg. :)

I'd never heard of adding salt to the water. I'm going to try this next time I make hard-boiled eggs as I would like to make some but don't have "old eggs" in the house!
  • AsarumHealthRetreats
    Options
    Try this trick for easy peeling hard boiled eggs!

When you take the eggs off the stove, immediately empty the hot water and run cold water over them. Allow them to sit in cool water for a couple of minutes. It is supposed to make the inner skin shrink back from the shell, allowing for easier peeling. I gently smash and roll the egg on the sink so the shell cracks around it into little pieces, then it easily pulls off. Good luck!

(I use the cold water after boiling trick, then put the eggs with peels on in the fridge and peel as I use them.)
  • greenaznpanda
    greenaznpanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From personal experience (I used to have two boiled eggs every morning):
    1. older the egg, the easier to peel.
    2. adding baking soda to the water makes peeling much easier.
    3. crack the egg then soaking it in cold water to cool it down before peeling also works (I usually do this in conjunction with the baking soda).
  • Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OK, what am I doing wrong? I can't peel an egg without it falling apart. I've heard to let them cool before you peel them, I've heard to peel them when warm... Different times to cook them for...

I'm looking for a quick easy snack, eggs seem to be good for this... So, what do you do?

Salt in the water works, but if you "shock" the eggs after boiling in ice water, they will peel like magic.
  • Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    double post. sorry
  • Joleen106
    Joleen106 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been cracking eggs into muffin pans and baking them for 15min at 350. They last a few days and if you want warm them in microwave for 30-40 seconds.
    I hate peeling hard boiled eggs :)
  • myfuture_22
    Options
    boil water in kettle
    put them on the hottest stove element for exactly 16 minutes + boiled water
    take them off, drain the hot water. rinse them with cold water twice. the second time, crack the eggs and peel them and use the water in the pot to take little bits of shell off.

perfect every time.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    OK, what am I doing wrong? I can't peel an egg without it falling apart. I've heard to let them cool before you peel them, I've heard to peel them when warm... Different times to cook them for...

I'm looking for a quick easy snack, eggs seem to be good for this... So, what do you do?
    You are most likely using too fresh eggs. Older eggs peel easier. Try putting 1tsp baking soda in the water as they cook. It makes fresh eggs peel much easier.

Cindy

Didnt see above post by greenaznpanda. They are right...
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Put the eggs in water and bring to a rolling boil. Cover and turn off for 10 to 15 min's. I leave for 15 min's on old electric stove. Then put them into ice water for at least 5 to 10 min's. And I concur on using eggs that are a little older.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My hens only lay fresh eggs :cry:

I'm never gonna get easy peel HB eggs :sad:
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My hens only lay fresh eggs :cry:

I'm never gonna get easy peel HB eggs :sad:

Now you've made me jealous. :tongue:

I put the eggs in the pot with water, bring to a boil. Shut off the heat as soon as it starts to boil and take the eggs off the element and let them sit, covered, for about 10 minutes. Then I drain the water and add cold, cold water to the pot and let them sit for half an hour.

This method usually works for me unless, like others have said, the eggs are too fresh.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I boil mine for 15 minutes and then immediately submerge in ice water. Leave the eggs in ice water for an hour. When ready to peel first roll the egg to crack the shell and it will pry itself loose then dispose of shell. They are perfect every time and easy to do/