one... freaking... pound...

Options
I'm going out on a mental and emotional limb, here... please be kind, and please take heed of my disclaimer before you respond. If you have no response, then I won't be one bit offended if you just pass on by, though a quick "I don't know" will be more than appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: I have a history of eating disorders (anorexia, specifically). My BMR is 1,706, my Harris-Benedict formulated total caloric needs comes out to 2,346 (based on "light" exercise). My threshhold is set at 1780 per day, and I'm usually well below that. Answers that involve "it's all about the calories" or "just eat less" are big triggers for me. If your only answer to "why can't I lose weight" is to expound philosophically on the physics of thermodynamics and that the ONLY formula for losing weight is calories in < calories out, you will do me more harm than good. Please stop reading right here, click your "back" arrow, and move on.

Still with me? Good... thank you for that.

Over the last two months I've been tracking everything, rounding up if I have to estimate, and every single day after I click the "Complete this entry" button, I get the message of "If every day were like today, you'd weigh... <10-12 pounds less> in 5 weeks." One month ago I added exercise into the equation, 3-5 days a week, doing a round of circuit first (alternating whole body and abs each day), then half an hour of cardio (treadmill walking). On cardio, I get my heart rate up in the 130 neighborhood and am sweating by the time I'm done. While 2.5 mph may be a leisurely stroll for some of you, it's faster than my normal pace and I've started incorporating a slight incline. Each week I either increase the speed or the incline.

I follow a low-carb eating plan. I avoid breads, pastas, excessive amounts of anything with high natural sugars, sugar itself, potatoes, corn, and rice. The only reason I'm at 3-5 days a week at the gym instead of 5-7 is because **** happens, to be blunt. Last week I was at the gym Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Wednesday I got in an accident and was dealing with that till 11pm, Friday and Saturday were spent at a local convention, walking around for a good part of the day, plus family activities after that. Sunday was my day to relax with my husband and son.

I weighed myself one month ago before starting the gym. I decided not to weigh myself until one month later so that I could get a better picture of long-term effects. This morning was my weigh-in.

One. Freaking. Pound. That's all I've lost. Just one, stinking, fardling pound. Logic would say that even water weight loss would have me losing more than that. Something else is wrong, but I have no idea as to what.

Despite the severely depressing report from the scale, I actually have noticed some other effects. Last night I tried on a pair of reference jeans, and based on that I have probably lost about an inch in my waist (I forgot to get measurements beforehand... my bad). I have more energy and don't want to nap at lunch anymore. I can keep up with my husband when we go places or do yard work. I'm not giving up the gym... I enjoy it too much.

So if you're still with me, what I need is advice on what ELSE could be going wrong. What OTHER alternatives could have a factor and are getting in the way of what should otherwise be some decent weight loss. If it matters to anyone, in 2009 I had an emergency hysterectomy and lost an ovary due to complications from childbirth. I haven't shown any signs of menopause yet. I have arthritis in my left knee (thanks to an injury as a teenager) and have NSAID medication for it, just not something I take on a regular basis. Beyond that, ask me anything. As soon as I click "Post Topic", I'm making an appointment with an Endocrinologist even though prior bloodwork has all shown to be in the "normal" range.

Anyone that can offer real help, please know that I'm already grateful that you've gotten this far. And as I said before, if you can't help, I won't be offended if you just move on.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Starting or changing your workouts can cause water weight gain. I've carried around 4 or 5 pounds of it at least before. And the funny thing about exercise water weight is that it stays with you until you quit exercising for a few days. Not that I'm suggesting you do that. It's just water.

Another possibility is that you were eating too little before or your carbs were lower than they are now and you've regained some glycogen stores from that.

Either way, if the jeans say you're losing weight and the scale says you aren't, why wouldn't you believe your jeans? They're what you want to look good in.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Do you think you might have built muscle as you lost fat? That would explain the jeans, the energy levels, and the stinking scale, right?
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    Harris-Benedict equation is a good guideline, but all of our bodies are different in their ACTUAL calorie expenditure so it sounds like you may need to revisit your calorie needs. This isn't simply an "eat less" or "exercise more" response, it is a thoughtful response based on the information you are giving that you perhaps need to reduce your calorie level if you want to lose more weight. I am assuming that you have weight to lose and remain in a healthy BMI with my response here. If you are close to the lower end of a healthy BMI then your body may be telling you that you are at a good level and no further weight loss is to be desired.

Also, if you are only using a number on a scale to dictate your success that is also a very inaccurate measure, because you are not taking into account that you MAY have lost 5 pounds of fat and GAINED 4 pounds of muscle, which would be very desirable. Do you have a hand-held body fat analyzer or have you ever had your body fat percentage accurately measured by a professional? This would be my advice, that if you haven't done that yet you DO it. That is a better indicator if you are working out 5 days a week at the gym.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You're pretty inconsistent with your calories. Some days you are way over your goal, some days you are way under your goal. You should be aiming to be close to your goal everyday.

It also seems like you are not weighing your food. The only way to know exactly how much you are eating is to weigh everything on a food scale. They are pretty cheap, you should really invest in one.

Basically, weight loss is about Calories In vs Calories Out. You aren't being accurate with the calories in part. I suspect you are eating a lot more than you think you are. Don't worry, that is the case with most people starting out. It doesn't mean you've failed. You just need to be honest with yourself.

Try weighing your food and getting close to your goal every day for a while and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, then you need to look at the calories out side of the equation. Maybe your BMR/TDEE aren't what you think they are. I know that long term eating disorders can mess with your metabolism. However, don't mess with this side of the equation until you've fixed the other side (the calories in side).

This thread is a great place to get information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Scales never tell the whole story, over the past 90 days I have gained 2.5 pounds.

I weighed in on 5/4 @ 209 5/7 @ 218 (yea you read that right) 5/9 - 6/27 @ 213.4 and this morning at 212.

I got a new t-shirt for my birthday 2 weeks ago, its an XL, I haven't been in an XL since 7th grade. Although my weight hasn't gone down in 90 days I have noticed body composition changes. I have lost 4.5 lbs of body fat, gained 1.5 pounds of muscle and am retaining 4 pounds of water more than I was 90 days ago.

My point? The scale lies. If you are feeling stronger and faster and your jeans are fitting better then you are doing it right. No worries, no stress, keep doing what you know is right.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Starting or changing your workouts can cause water weight gain. I've carried around 4 or 5 pounds of it at least before. And the funny thing about exercise water weight is that it stays with you until you quit exercising for a few days. Not that I'm suggesting you do that. It's just water.

Another possibility is that you were eating too little before or your carbs were lower than they are now and you've regained some glycogen stores from that.

Either way, if the jeans say you're losing weight and the scale says you aren't, why wouldn't you believe your jeans? They're what you want to look good in.

^^^^^^^
    Absolutely this....when I started a new workout program, scale didn't move for me until around the 5th week....now its consistent and going down 1 pound per week. But like you my jeans were definitely looser, while scale didn't move.

Hang on!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you think you might have built muscle as you lost fat? That would explain the jeans, the energy levels, and the stinking scale, right?

Both of you have hit on the one thing that's got me somewhat encouraged that I'm doing some good here. I do have a lot of fat to lose, and I'm just concerned that while building muscle IS a good thing, something's impeding the fat/weight loss that should come with it.
  • meridianova
    Options
    This isn't simply an "eat less" or "exercise more" response, it is a thoughtful response based on the information you are giving that you perhaps need to reduce your calorie level if you want to lose more weight. I am assuming that you have weight to lose and remain in a healthy BMI with my response here. If you are close to the lower end of a healthy BMI then your body may be telling you that you are at a good level and no further weight loss is to be desired.

I'm not anywhere near a healthy BMI, something that a not-so-nice doctor made clear to point out to me when I went to him for help. I'm starting in a place where nearly everyone else I see on every other message board boasts about having lost 10-15 pounds by now, often by doing LESS than I'm doing.
    Also, if you are only using a number on a scale to dictate your success that is also a very inaccurate measure, because you are not taking into account that you MAY have lost 5 pounds of fat and GAINED 4 pounds of muscle, which would be very desirable. Do you have a hand-held body fat analyzer or have you ever had your body fat percentage accurately measured by a professional?

While it's possible I've gained muscle, it's far more likely that I've gained muscle TONE instead. In my mind, 4lbs of muscle is a lot to put on in a month and my circuit training has been in the 30-45lb range. I don't have a fat analyzer, but I do have a mirror :wink:. Most of my problem is all in my torso, but I certainly wouldn't complain to see my thighs trim down.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    What if your TDEE is more like 1800? How can you be sure it's as high as you think?

If you have logged super accurately for the past month it should be really simple to accurately calculate your true TDEE. Just add all the calories then divide by however many days.

EtA: total calories minus 3500 since you did lose a pound, divided by total days equals average daily TDEE
  • meridianova
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You're pretty inconsistent with your calories. Some days you are way over your goal, some days you are way under your goal. You should be aiming to be close to your goal everyday.

It also seems like you are not weighing your food. The only way to know exactly how much you are eating is to weigh everything on a food scale. They are pretty cheap, you should really invest in one.

Basically, weight loss is about Calories In vs Calories Out. You aren't being accurate with the calories in part. I suspect you are eating a lot more than you think you are. Don't worry, that is the case with most people starting out. It doesn't mean you've failed. You just need to be honest with yourself.

Try weighing your food and getting close to your goal every day for a while and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, then you need to look at the calories out side of the equation. Maybe your BMR/TDEE aren't what you think they are. I know that long term eating disorders can mess with your metabolism. However, don't mess with this side of the equation until you've fixed the other side (the calories in side).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you for giving me the answer I specifically indicated I DID. NOT. WANT. I measure, I weigh, I count, I enter my foods based on the pre-entered options in MFP. Telling me that I need to be honest with myself is nothing more than a tactful way of saying I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing, that I'm nothing more than a glutton with overwhelming fatlogic who tries to justify that a family size bag of Cheetos and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew really is one serving of each.

You should have just moved on, as I indicated in my disclaimer. I would have been far less offended.
  • meridianova
    Options
    What if your TDEE is more like 1800? How can you be sure it's as high as you think?

I used this website, http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/, to determine my BMR and then used their multiplier of "Light Exercise (1-3 days per week)", even though I go to the gym more often than that in order to be on the safe side. But that's actually one of the things I plan to talk to the doctor about, seeing if there's a way to accurately determine where my metabolism REALLY is. If I was horribly off and eating 500 - 600 calories a day MORE than I'm burning, I guarantee you I'd see pretty immediate weight gain. My body is good like that.
    If you have logged super accurately for the past month it should be really simple to accurately calculate your true TDEE. Just add all the calories then divide by however many days.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Doing an average caloric intake per day isn't going to show me what my expenditure is. I could go for 5 days eating nothing, but my body is still burning calories just in the fact that I'm alive and moving. That doesn't mean my expenditure is zero just because my intake is zero. Can you clarify this for me?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Thank you for giving me the answer I specifically indicated I DID. NOT. WANT. I measure, I weigh, I count, I enter my foods based on the pre-entered options in MFP. Telling me that I need to be honest with myself is nothing more than a tactful way of saying I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing, that I'm nothing more than a glutton with overwhelming fatlogic who tries to justify that a family size bag of Cheetos and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew really is one serving of each.

You should have just moved on, as I indicated in my disclaimer. I would have been far less offended.

Way to read far more into what I wrote than what I actually said. I said nothing about being fat, lazy, or stupid. Reread what I wrote, I was being supportive.

Don't bother fighting with me. I won't post again on this thread. I won't continue to offer support or advice to someone who spits in my face.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Despite the severely depressing report from the scale, I actually have noticed some other effects. Last night I tried on a pair of reference jeans, and based on that I have probably lost about an inch in my waist (I forgot to get measurements beforehand... my bad). I have more energy and don't want to nap at lunch anymore. I can keep up with my husband when we go places or do yard work. I'm not giving up the gym... I enjoy it too much.

Based on this paragraph it sounds like you're doing just fine.
    It took me 2 months before I started losing weight on the scale, but my measurements started changing way earlier. I've since decided to not care so much about what the scale says, I mostly use it to watch my water weight fluxuations because I find them facinating.

Please start measuring yourself and taking progress pictures. I think that will help you so so much more then just going off what the scale says, because it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job taking care of your bosy and I would hate for the *kitten* hole scale to ruin your progress.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has a lot more to do with what you are doing in the kitchen than any exercise you are doing.

Your logging may not be accurate, even with logging everything. Here are some things that really stood out to me:

-Using entries with the word "generic" in them
    -Entries with a amount description of "1 Serving"
    -Solid foods being measured in cups, slices, and measurements like small/medium/large. Also broad generalized entries (ex. a half of a chicken).
    -Some days look like they were not completed. It's hard to tell on that one please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been mentioned already, but it can't be said enough...get a food scale and weigh all solids. Make sure that you are using the correct food entries. With the things that I listed it's very likely that you are eating more than you think. Hopefully someone posts the link to the post about how to accurately log. I can't find it.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Doing an average caloric intake per day isn't going to show me what my expenditure is. I could go for 5 days eating nothing, but my body is still burning calories just in the fact that I'm alive and moving. That doesn't mean my expenditure is zero just because my intake is zero. Can you clarify this for me?

Let say your total intake for a month was 60,000 calories (2000/day). You lost 1lbs - 3500 calories
    60,000+3,500=63,500
    63.500/30days=2117 cal/day - your TDEE

ETA: this is just the math for TDEE when accurately logging for long time. I wouldn't suggest this for you for now due to possible water weight/muscle gain
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I used this website, http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/, to determine my BMR and then used their multiplier of "Light Exercise (1-3 days per week)", even though I go to the gym more often than that in order to be on the safe side. But that's actually one of the things I plan to talk to the doctor about, seeing if there's a way to accurately determine where my metabolism REALLY is. If I was horribly off and eating 500 - 600 calories a day MORE than I'm burning, I guarantee you I'd see pretty immediate weight gain. My body is good like that.

Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • meridianova
    Options
    Please start measuring yourself and taking progress pictures. I think that will help you so so much more then just going off what the scale says, because it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job taking care of your bosy and I would hate for the *kitten* hole scale to ruin your progress.

Thank you. It occurred to me as I was posting that yeah, measurements would be a good idea too. Though historically, that's usually depressed me more than the scale has :smile:.

Though this brings up another question... is a 1" waistline reduction (and I'm estimating here, just based on how that particular pair of jeans fit last time) an acceptable, expected improvement for a month, or is that low too?
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options

Both of you have hit on the one thing that's got me somewhat encouraged that I'm doing some good here. I do have a lot of fat to lose, and I'm just concerned that while building muscle IS a good thing, something's impeding the fat/weight loss that should come with it.

Might you take your measurements now so that you have another way to track progress besides weight?
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    I am in the "I don't know" category... I just wanted to say don't give up. Remember that the ultimate goal is to feel better and live healthier, and you are doing exactly that. Congratulations on those jeans fitting better!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    While it's possible I've gained muscle, it's far more likely that I've gained muscle TONE instead. In my mind, 4lbs of muscle is a lot to put on in a month and my circuit training has been in the 30-45lb range. I don't have a fat analyzer, but I do have a mirror :wink:. Most of my problem is all in my torso, but I certainly wouldn't complain to see my thighs trim down.

You don't tone muscle, you gain muscle. Making muscles bigger is what makes you look "toned"
    Though this brings up another question... is a 1" waistline reduction (and I'm estimating here, just based on how that particular pair of jeans fit last time) an acceptable, expected improvement for a month, or is that low too?

1'' is a respectable reduction. It could even be more since you estimated based on how your jeans fit. Depending on how much you have to lose, it can take a while for whole inches to disappear.