one... freaking... pound...

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I think you were extremely rude to SingRunTing. I know this is "your post" and you expect to be able to dictate what people should and should not be allowed to say to you, but waving around the eating disorder card does not give you a free pass to act like a C U Next Tuesday.

Try more water, more vegetables, and less trips to In and Out Burger and see if that makes a difference.

You. I like you :flowerforyou:
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat... Measure and keep track... Take pics too... Keep up your hard work... It will happen!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale .... who cares what that number says ? I know I sure don't.

I am in maintenance now .. but when I was playing the game, all I cared about was my body fat % and mostly how much abdominal fat I had. This was my downfall.

I lost focus and just cared about hitting that magical number ... in my case abs of 34.5 inches. So I got there .. and I was looking like a circus clown. I was at 7% body fat and skinny as hell. I was just too skinny and my face was caved in.

So .. now I am gaining fat .. and if I could say one thing, disregard the numbers .... and just go by what you feel like and look like in the mirror. That is truly the answer .. and I wish I would have paid more attention to it when I was in my deficit phase.

I have been gaining body fat ... and I am happier now. So .. ignore the scale, it truly only will tell you "HOW MUCH ALL OF YOU WEIGHS" ... and really if you look at the big picture that information is really pretty useless.

Sadly ... many people never seem to get this and are fixated at that number on the scale. Stop now .. you will be happier for it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself one month ago before starting the gym. I decided not to weigh myself until one month later so that I could get a better picture of long-term effects.

That's part of the problem right there, IMO. There is to much variability in all of this to draw strong conclusions from only two data points.

The food you eat is plus-minus 20% calories (no matter how diligently you weigh it)
    The scale you are on is plus-minus 2-5% (ie 3-7 pounds on 150 lbs!)
    The exercise burns you enter are plus-minus as much as 75%, depending on how you calculate them.
    The amount of water you carry around depends on more things than science currently knows about.

Bottom line - you need a LOT more than two data points to figure out what is actually happening. Personally, I would weight every day, same time, same routine, and track that way. I understand that's a problem for some people, but however often you do it, you're going to need a lot more data than what you have.

Cheers, and good luck!

Normally I would recommend weighing more often as well. It's helpful to see the overall trend, but with past ED issues this isn't necessarily a good idea.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Have you considered sticking to the Atkins induction / Duke Lifestyle carbohydrate limit of 20 grams a day for a period ? Currently you run quite a bit higher than that.

I started out back at the beginning of May doing exactly that. I've upped my macros a little but still stay in ketosis.
    On the BMR front it's worth pointing out that the published equations only catch 70% of people within +/-10% of their prediction and the other 30% are outside that. I'm 16% below prediction from a measured value. http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator/ has two methods and if you use the lean mass formula it pops out a shade under 1600 depending on your exact values (edit - corrected height to 5'-3" and BMR prediction based on lean mass is 1430 - 1490).

Interesting. I expected some margin of error, but I didn't know they could vary that much.
  • meridianova
    Options
    My BS meter shot through the roof when I read this. Your posts here paint a very pretty picture but your diary paints a very different picture.

I think you were extremely rude to SingRunTing. I know this is "your post" and you expect to be able to dictate what people should and should not be allowed to say to you, but waving around the eating disorder card does not give you a free pass to act like a C U Next Tuesday.

Try more water, more vegetables, and less trips to In and Out Burger and see if that makes a difference.

First of all, if you're not familiar with In-n-Out, they're not your typical burger joint. Their meat is delivered fresh daily and isn't frozen, their veggies and toppings are prepared on site from partnership farms run by former employees. Their fries are made from fresh potatoes on site, cooked immediately.

They're the closest thing you're going to get to a homemade burger that isn't made in your home. They also treat their employees far better than any other fast food joint. If I'm going to indulge in something within my macros, that's going to be it.

Regarding your other point... you're right. I was rude. But let's be honest... if you put "NO TRESPASSING" signs all over your property, along with a few "BEWARE OF DOG" signs because you've got a giant rottweiler with a taste for denim, and someone goes skipping through your back yard thinking those signs are just decoration, nobody should be surprised when that person gets their legs bitten off.

If someone makes it clear to you that they are so allergic to peanuts that they'll have a reaction just being in the same room with them, do you go waving a peanut butter sandwich in their face?

If someone tells you that they're a horrible arachnophobic, do you ask them to pet-sit your tarantula?

I could not have been more clear from the very beginning as to what kind of advice I needed and, more importantly, what I didn't need. Every single post I've seen where people constantly repeat "it's all about the calories" makes me feel like I'm being kicked in the stomach. I've gone days on end not eating because medical professionals have told me "losing weight is easy... just eat less." I said please, I said thank you, I couldn't have been more polite in my original post. Few things annoy me more than explicitly stating something and then having that something blatantly ignored. Especially when it's things that I have absolutely pointed out as emotional and psychological triggers.

So yes, I was rude. I was also warranted, and I am certainly not apologetic.
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    To me this seems like a success story. Just keep doing what you are doing already and try to set aside your expectations. As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder I think nothing sabotages my progress as much as setting weight loss time lines for myself.

You lost a lb, you lost an inch. That is progress and it is *great*. Don't hold yourself accountable to some arbitrary goal because if you fail to meet that goal you end up doing unhealthy things to yourself to patch up the emotional pain. Believe me if you eat healthy and exercise you will lose plenty in the long term.

Looking at your diary the only thing I might change is using more fruits and vegetables to try to get closer to your daily calorie goal. As counter-intuitive as it might seem consistently eating too little calories can grind your weight loss to a halt for quite a while and harm your metabolism.
  • meridianova
    Options
    To me this seems like a success story. Just keep doing what you are doing already and try to set aside your expectations. As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder I think nothing sabotages my progress as much as setting weight loss time lines for myself.

You lost a lb, you lost an inch. That is progress and it is *great*. Don't hold yourself accountable to some arbitrary goal because if you fail to meet that goal you end up doing unhealthy things to yourself to patch up the emotional pain. Believe me if you eat healthy and exercise you will lose plenty in the long term.

Looking at your diary the only thing I might change is using more fruits and vegetables to try to get closer to your daily calorie goal. As counter-intuitive as it might seem consistently eating too little calories can grind your weight loss to a halt for quite a while and harm your metabolism.

Thank you for this. I still think something may be medically wrong. Even though you're absolutely right, I shouldn't hold myself to other people's success, it bothers me that I can't enjoy the same benchmarks they do... or even that I did years ago.

With low-carbing, fruits and vegetables are "expensive", so they're naturally limited to specific measurements. I love fruits and veggies and would go overboard on the natural sugar content.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Regarding your other point... you're right. I was rude. But let's be honest... if you put "NO TRESPASSING" signs all over your property, along with a few "BEWARE OF DOG" signs because you've got a giant rottweiler with a taste for denim, and someone goes skipping through your back yard thinking those signs are just decoration, nobody should be surprised when that person gets their legs bitten off.

If someone makes it clear to you that they are so allergic to peanuts that they'll have a reaction just being in the same room with them, do you go waving a peanut butter sandwich in their face?

If someone tells you that they're a horrible arachnophobic, do you ask them to pet-sit your tarantula?

I could not have been more clear from the very beginning as to what kind of advice I needed and, more importantly, what I didn't need. Every single post I've seen where people constantly repeat "it's all about the calories" makes me feel like I'm being kicked in the stomach. I've gone days on end not eating because medical professionals have told me "losing weight is easy... just eat less." I said please, I said thank you, I couldn't have been more polite in my original post. Few things annoy me more than explicitly stating something and then having that something blatantly ignored. Especially when it's things that I have absolutely pointed out as emotional and psychological triggers.

So yes, I was rude. I was also warranted, and I am certainly not apologetic.

To quote the basics of Dog Bite Law in the Western World:
    One thing that all English-speaking jurisdictions have in common is the old British "one bite rule." This ancient law shields a dog owner or harborer from liability, civilly and criminally, until he has a certain degree of knowledge that his dog is dangerous or vicious. When he has this knowledge, however, criminal laws may impose serious consequences on the dog owner or harborer, such as jail time or a fine, animal control laws may impose euthanasia or conditions for retaining the dog, and the civil justice system makes the owner or harborer strictly liable for all losses and damages resulting from the bite. In fact, a person's knowledge that his dog is a "biter" also exposes him to the possibility of having to pay punitive damages.

Yes, dogs bite people. But the dog and the owner are then legally responsible for the real-world repercussions of those actions.

If your dog attacked someone, you would be held responsible for your animal's actions. If you had a peanut allergy and curb-stomped Mr. Peanut due to legume-based trauma, you would be responsible for your actions. If you were an arachnophobe and used an unabridged copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to obliterate your friend's brand new tarantula, you would still be held accountable.

Yes, you are in recovery. As someone else working to repair their relationship with food, I applaud you, but I do not think that gives you license to lash out at people who are only trying to help.
  • meridianova
    Options
    If your dog attacked someone, you would be held responsible for your animal's actions. If you had a peanut allergy and curb-stomped Mr. Peanut due to legume-based trauma, you would be responsible for your actions. If you were an arachnophobe and used an unabridged copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to obliterate your friend's brand new tarantula, you would still be held accountable.

Yes, you are in recovery. As someone else working to repair their relationship with food, I applaud you, but I do not think that gives you license to lash out at people who are only trying to help.

st0rmagedd0n, you make a very good point. There is a measure of responsibility owned by everyone for their actions, whether that's 100% or 1%. I didn't say I was blameless, and part of me taking responsibility for my actions is that 99% of the time I don't post at all. I exit the thread and move to something else that isn't going to trigger me. However, in any situation where people are forewarned of potential actions or reactions, it is also their responsibility not to provoke the reaction.

If you have a dog that you know bites people, you put up signs saying "Beware of Dog". You make it known from the start that this is a dog that strangers should avoid. If someone does not heed those warnings, then the responsibility for their dog bites rests with them. Had I not put up that first disclaimer, at the very beginning, and then gone off on SingRunTing for mentioning "it's all about the calories", then yes I would be wholly responsible and apologetic because she couldn't have known that was a trigger of mine. Except I made it known and even specifically said "if this is the extent of your advice, please move on." In a rule of law, warnings make a difference.

In Arizona, the monsoons cause flash flooding on certain areas where the roads dip down into ravines. They're clearly marked as flash flood zones and people are warned to stay out of them. Yet every year, it's guaranteed that someone will think "oh, that's not so bad, my car can get through that," and they end up stuck or their car gets washed down the ravine. So several cities have instituted a "Stupid Law" (yes, that's really the name for it). Anyone who enters a flooded-out section of road and gets stranded gets fined, cited, and is responsible for paying all the costs for emergency crews to rescue them and retrieve their vehicle.

Am I proud of my reaction? No. I wish my gut didn't twist every time I see someone harping about the algebra of caloric intake. I wish that people's knee-jerk reaction to me saying "caloric deficits don't work on me" wasn't to immediately infer that I'm somehow to blame (not logging, logging incorrectly, underestimating portions, or other general types of being stupid about what I eat). I wish that all the standard rules and guidelines really did work on me, because I'm tired of chasing answers. For years I've been trying to cling to the "one diet doesn't fit all" understanding so that I don't fall into the habits my brain wants to re-impose just to be in line with the generally accepted knowledge. The posts about the calculations for TDEE may have provided a clue, but if that's correct and my metabolism is that slow, something really is horribly wrong with me.
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like a success story. One pound and one inch in one month is great. As difficult as that is to see because I know you want to see more in less time, it is great. Unfortunately prior eating disorders and increasing age (I'm not calling you old because you are not, but an increase from when you were younger), slow metabolism. The hysterectomy and ovary removal will have slowed your metabolism as well, even if your blood levels are in normal range. Your ovaries produce hormones that regulate many metabolic processes within your body. They are involved in everything from bone density, muscle mass, and fat cell inflation. You have several things going against you and you are still coming out on top. So congratulations on loosing 1 lb and approximately 1 in. Keep up the hard work. Please do see your doctor about your hormone levels because if its not normal then you have a clear answer that your doc can help you with.

As a side note, bone density tends to be the most effected metabolic process after an ovary removal and the best things you can do for that is weight training, eat onions, and talk to your doc about calcium and vitamin D supplements as well. I know that the onion thing is newer research it has to do with a particular chemical in the onion, if you want more info I can try to copy from my nursing assessment textbook.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

st0rmagedd0n, you make a very good point. There is a measure of responsibility owned by everyone for their actions, whether that's 100% or 1%. I didn't say I was blameless, and part of me taking responsibility for my actions is that 99% of the time I don't post at all. I exit the thread and move to something else that isn't going to trigger me. However, in any situation where people are forewarned of potential actions or reactions, it is also their responsibility not to provoke the reaction.

If you have a dog that you know bites people, you put up signs saying "Beware of Dog". You make it known from the start that this is a dog that strangers should avoid. If someone does not heed those warnings, then the responsibility for their dog bites rests with them. Had I not put up that first disclaimer, at the very beginning, and then gone off on SingRunTing for mentioning "it's all about the calories", then yes I would be wholly responsible and apologetic because she couldn't have known that was a trigger of mine. Except I made it known and even specifically said "if this is the extent of your advice, please move on." In a rule of law, warnings make a difference.

In Arizona, the monsoons cause flash flooding on certain areas where the roads dip down into ravines. They're clearly marked as flash flood zones and people are warned to stay out of them. Yet every year, it's guaranteed that someone will think "oh, that's not so bad, my car can get through that," and they end up stuck or their car gets washed down the ravine. So several cities have instituted a "Stupid Law" (yes, that's really the name for it). Anyone who enters a flooded-out section of road and gets stranded gets fined, cited, and is responsible for paying all the costs for emergency crews to rescue them and retrieve their vehicle.

Am I proud of my reaction? No. I wish my gut didn't twist every time I see someone harping about the algebra of caloric intake. I wish that people's knee-jerk reaction to me saying "caloric deficits don't work on me" wasn't to immediately infer that I'm somehow to blame (not logging, logging incorrectly, underestimating portions, or other general types of being stupid about what I eat). I wish that all the standard rules and guidelines really did work on me, because I'm tired of chasing answers. For years I've been trying to cling to the "one diet doesn't fit all" understanding so that I don't fall into the habits my brain wants to re-impose just to be in line with the generally accepted knowledge. The posts about the calculations for TDEE may have provided a clue, but if that's correct and my metabolism is that slow, something really is horribly wrong with me.

Give me a break.
    This so a public forum. You are not a moderator here, so you don't get to make the rules and dictate how people should answer you when you post a thread asking for advice. It doesn't work that way.
    You are rude. And controlling. And you project. And the fact that you are unapologetic and actually kind of proud of your attitude to the other posters here speaks volumes to your character.

You're also in denial about your 'whole unprocessed food' diet.

I'm out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Moving back to your original subject...

Sara wrote:
    Give it a few more weeks and look to the trend at that point - tweak accordingly then.

I'm also agreeing with this because of weight variation that can occur at any point due to chnages in exercise or water retention for other reasons.

Here is an example from my own data. As can be seen in the graph below, I "gained" weight over the last weeks even though I kept or reduced my calories. What is going on is that I changed my workout routine and increased intensity of training - the response was water retention, thus the apparent weight gain.

This last week, I'm getting a little more used to the change and we can see some loss.

8fJpISc.png

Weight loss is not linear...
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options

With low-carbing, fruits and vegetables are "expensive", so they're naturally limited to specific measurements. I love fruits and veggies and would go overboard on the natural sugar content.

It depends on what kind of low carb dieting you are doing. I do a very low glycemic index diet based on the Insulin Resistance diet. I don't eat refined grains, white bread/sugar etc. However sugars from milk, a moderate amount of fruit consumed with protein and carbs from vegetables do not impact your blood sugar like refined carbs and sugar do. There are ample studies to show that sticking with an extremely low carb diet slows your metabolism and your progress. Here is a good article about the differences:

http://www.today.com/health/low-fat-low-carb-or-low-glycemic-study-shows-which-853265
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to test your cortisol levels. It has to be done between 7:00 and 8:00 am to be accurate. It might be too high. I'm going through the same thing. I've been at this for a couple of years and I haven't lost more that about 5 pounds.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My friend just had her RMR tested, you could always do that to get a more accurate view of your calorie needs. Perhaps you really do have a lower daily energy requirement than the calculators are saying.

Also make sure you aren't double counting your exercise calories (ie, including them in the MFP/TDEE calculations and then also adding them to your diary). I can't tell if they are or not by what MFP gives you.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yikes this thread has gone downhill!

OP, I think that losing an inch and 1 pound is very good progress for a month, especially having started a new exercise routine. Keep on plugging and I think you will see greater progress. You may have weighed yourself at a time when your hormones were fluctuating and you were retaining extra water (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you say you'd had an emergency hysterectomy in the past? I believe our hormones can still fluctuate even without some of the necessary organs). Next time you feel it's appropriate to weigh yourself, perhaps do it at a different time during the month just in case.

Also, it is very possible that your BMR is lower than average due to past eating disorder behavior. I have read many times that this can happen. As AllyssaLoflin mentioned, the hormonal effects of having had a hysterectomy and an ovary removed may have a similar metabolism-slowing effect. I think you mentioned having a blood test for something soon-- hopefully that will reveal whether hormonal issues could have something to do with this. It sounds like you would really benefit from working with a specialist doctor on the metabolism/weight loss thing due to all of the above, plus it might give you some peace of mind to know more about your specific metabolism from medical tests.
  • meridianova
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like a success story. One pound and one inch in one month is great. As difficult as that is to see because I know you want to see more in less time, it is great. Unfortunately prior eating disorders and increasing age (I'm not calling you old because you are not

That's ok. My license says I'm 41, but I still get carded so I take that as a win.
    but an increase from when you were younger), slow metabolism. The hysterectomy and ovary removal will have slowed your metabolism as well, even if your blood levels are in normal range. Your ovaries produce hormones that regulate many metabolic processes within your body. They are involved in everything from bone density, muscle mass, and fat cell inflation. You have several things going against you and you are still coming out on top. So congratulations on loosing 1 lb and approximately 1 in. Keep up the hard work. Please do see your doctor about your hormone levels because if its not normal then you have a clear answer that your doc can help you with.

Thank you for this info. It's one of the things I wasn't sure about but also wasn't sure how to research. When I've brought this up to GP or OB/GYN doctors in the past, they've dismissed it. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks so I'll be sure to mention this to her.
    As a side note, bone density tends to be the most effected metabolic process after an ovary removal and the best things you can do for that is weight training, eat onions, and talk to your doc about calcium and vitamin D supplements as well. I know that the onion thing is newer research it has to do with a particular chemical in the onion, if you want more info I can try to copy from my nursing assessment textbook.

I often use onions when I'm cooking so I'll keep this in mind. I go back and forth with the vitamins but I'll certainly ask about the supplements. There have been a few times when I notice my hair fall is heavier than normal, and getting back onto a standard multi usually stops it.

And... thank you. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for, something that was willing to explore other factors and help me form the right questions to ask the doctor.
  • meridianova
    Options
    Here is an example from my own data. As can be seen in the graph below, I "gained" weight over the last weeks even though I kept or reduced my calories. What is going on is that I changed my workout routine and increased intensity of training - the response was water retention, thus the apparent weight gain.

This last week, I'm getting a little more used to the change and we can see some loss.

8fJpISc.png

Weight loss is not linear...

Where did you get that graph made? That's amazing! I love it! The reports available here aren't bad, but they aren't great for comprehensive tracking like this.
  • meridianova
    Options
    Ask your doctor to test your cortisol levels. It has to be done between 7:00 and 8:00 am to be accurate. It might be too high. I'm going through the same thing. I've been at this for a couple of years and I haven't lost more that about 5 pounds.

My endocrinologist appointment is at 11am. Is there a home method for testing cortisol, or is that strictly lab work?