Does this App really work for you?

Replies

• feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    It does the math for me. I'm quite happy with it so far. :)
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    369 days logged and 104 pounds lost. I work this app.....and I work it well!
  • vklass
    vklass Posts: 12 Member
    The biggest help that it offers, for me anyway, is provide a database I can look back on. Like right now i'm in a plateau, if I wasn't tracking everything I could easily think my efforts were pointless and there was nothing else I could do, because I exercise about 7 times a week and eat so many veggies and portion control.

But, further looking at my data with friends from the site we determined although I have 7 cardio sessions I haven't been doing enough weight training. And my counting can be adjusted too.

I would not be able to troubleshoot my body without that information.

Get some friends, try to be consistent with it and see if it works for you.

You can add me if you'd like, although I'm not always appropriate :P
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Love the app - but its only as useful as I make it. Its not a magic wand.
  • LizLilabad
    LizLilabad Posts: 7 Member
    The app works great for me, love the bar code option!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Yes, the app is clean, easy to use, portable (duh, it's an app, but I mean in terms of having it on 6 different devices) and has the right types of graphs etc so I can see what a day/week/month looks like.
  • cyndiee1
    cyndiee1 Posts: 24
    I think a lot of people tweak their goals from the default settings as everyone is different in what works for them. Some people use the TDEE Calculator for what they believe to be a better calorie goal and they turn off adjustment for exercise as the TDEE value takes that into account.
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Others focus on changing the carbs/protein/fats ratio to match their method of eating. The app is very flexible and can work, but it may take some adjustment for it to be personalized for you.
  • I have a friend who lost nearly a 100lbs using this app, so now I am trying it. I've only been on it 14 days. I see why she lost the weight. It doesn't feel like a diet I eat what I want with proper portions. I try to put my food choices in before I eat, this helps. I try to eat all foods and not to deny myself unless I make the choice not to eat it. I am finding out its about good choices and moving a little everyday or whenever I can. Not crazy or hard exercising, because if its not fun you will stop doing it. I ride a stationary bike on my patio at night when everything is still as fast as I want or as slow only 20 min. I have not weighted but I can tell a difference in my body and my digestive system. I change the sodium to fiber. I am tracking my fiber. I need fiber. I have a 100 big ones to lose. My motto is "keep chipping away a little at a time", don't get upset if a mistake is made just start by chipping away. Good Luck ! I hope you meet your goal and keep it off. Have a losing day!:wink: :.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    It's all about the users dedication. If you half-*kitten* it you're going to get half-assed results.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    The app is a tool, it doesn't do anything other than take what you put it and output the data in a way that you can use in whatever way you decide to use.

If you choose not to use the data to make better decisions then that's your fault and not the apps.

QFT
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Yes, it's the only thing that works for me. About five years ago I was slimmer of the year from using this format (not on this site in particular that time but a pretty much identical one from before this one existed or was as good). Obviously everyone is different but admitting to myself and logging what I eat is the only thing that works for me, once I stopped using it I slowly slipped into eating more and more until I lost the habit of counting calories or caring and sadly that out me right back where I started, and then some. S now I'm back and intend to always use the site even when I reach my goal and maintaining, that was my mistake before
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Yes. I get lots of noodz.
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    I started using MFP several years ago, learned what to eat, dropped 27 lbs., have kept within 5 lbs. of my target, gained muscle, became educated and more efficient about my conditioning, saw a number of minor health problems disappear and look and feel better than I ever did before. (Came back to lose a few and track macros).

It works if you do.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    For me, I use it for a while, but see no results. I am honest in my calculations and exercise. Not sure if I need to change something up or not.

Just reaching for a solution - use a scale and weigh everything. It is more accurate than volume measures.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Personally, I hate the app. It worked for awhile then it got wonky. They said they fixed some bugs so I downloaded it again. It worked fine for awhile then it stopped working again. I love the website though. 100x easier for me to log on the website than the app.
  • reneebeardshaw
    reneebeardshaw Posts: 5 Member
    This keeps me honest with my self. I set a goal as to how many calories, carbs, fiber and protein I need. When I log everything, it keeps me on track for the day. I know where I have room to play or if I am in the danger zone. I really pay attention to what I eat and make decisions based on what I am logging. So the short answer- yes it works for me :-)
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Yes. I get lots of noodz.

I vote this the best response so far.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I have used this app and I wondered if you have found success. I haven't found much as I would have hoped. Any suggestions?
    The app doesn't do the work for you. It's just a tool

Have a look at this thread this will give you the information on the best way to use mfp

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • siminske
    siminske Posts: 35 Member
    I have lost 48 pounds since March 4th, and I feel and look great. It really works,
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Absolutely works! You have to be committed to using it and making accurate recordings of your food and exercise. :)