What's worse? Obese children or children with

2»

Replies

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    There isn't a correct answer. They're both horrible. I have family members that have obese children and a cousin who is a recovering anorexic. Working in healthcare - I see them both. I see family members bring children who are 100# overweight McDonald's after they've already had their calorie restricted foods. Yes, I am well aware hospital food is not as palatable as McDonalds - but come on people - take some responsibility for your children and take a stand. You know your child is overweight - and no, it's not cute. There is a fine line where you tip to the other side and go to the other side of eating disorders. Telling your very healthy, not overweight child he or she could "lose a few" or he/she needs to not eat something because it will make her fat and don't you want to look as good as "so and so" can so harm a child for life. Anorexia and bulemia are horrible eating disorders that truly waste people away to nothing and unless they get the psychological help and therapy - they will die.

On a side note: NEVER let them be Dallas Cowboys fans....:smile:

My whole family grew up Dallas Cowboys fans.

I never stood a chance. :sad:

Born and bred Texas girl, here...and until Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, I was a total fan. Since then, it's been a complete downhill spiral. He had to go buy them and screw everything up. :grumble: :angry: :noway: :grumble: :angry: :noway:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member

[/quote]

Come to the Seahawks.....:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

SSSwirlClouds.jpg
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Obesity is an eating disorder. Whether it is under eating or over eating, they are both as bad as each other.

General over eating is not an eating disorder. Binge eating, or BED, is an eating disorder, but that's because it is a psychological issue. Obesity can be caused by a lack of education of healthy food choices, portion control, or just laziness. It's not always a mental health issue whereas an ED is.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member

Come to the Seahawks.....:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

SSSwirlClouds.jpg
    [/quote]

I'm thinking I might move out that way, so I guess I'd better, or I'll get run out of town!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Technically speaking aren't both disorded eating? Obese kids eat to feel better about themselves while ED kids don't..
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Technically speaking aren't both disorded eating? Obese kids eat to feel better about themselves while ED kids don't..

An eating disorder and disordered eating are two different things. An actual eating disorder is a control disorder closely related to OCD, which is why it is so hard to treat.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    That's not strictly true. Obese kids might be obese because of their environment and the foods available to them, as well as parental models. For instance, why is obesity prevalent in the American South? Because these people have a mental illness or because that area has a high degree of rural poverty and a fattening regional diet?