Gaining weight.

Options
i have been consistently eating well and exercising for the last 7 months. i was losing slowly up until August but since then have steadily gained weight. in the last 3 months i have gained 11 pounds. what on earth is happening here? i've seen the Dr and he brushed me off, told me to log what i eat. i have been doing that and i don't think i'm eating enough to gain with my activity level. sigh. this is very frustrating!!!!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    let us view your diary. Also can you give us your numbers? I.E. Height, weight, activity level, exercise for the week, and any medical issues you may have.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I would go back or go to another doctor and request they test your thyroid levels. I have hypothyroidism and thyroid problems are so prominent with women. Don't let your doctor push you around. If you know you've been doing all you can to lose the weight and you're still gaining, I would definitely look into it.

Have you changed your exercising at all? Doing more strength training the last few months than you have in the past? If so, you could just be putting on muscle.

Just some ideas. Keep us posted and don't let that doctor push you away!
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the calories you earn/burn during exercise? If so, are you calculating them properly?
    (ie. do you use a HRM?)

Are you being 100% honest in your weighing/measuring?

Are you pregnant? ;)

I'm not one who is quick to run to the doctor because I've gained weight. Though, it's also fairly obvious to me
    when I do have a gain, why it happened.
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    okay, i made it public. i'm quite active (i have 4 kids and 3 are under 5). i run 3 miles a day 5 days a week and i do 45 minute circuit training with kettlebells 2 or 3 times a week.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You know what is weird... I haven't lost anything in like 2 weeks weight wise but I have dropped a lot of inches. I find that odd.
  • Pitterpatter
    Options
    the clothes that were too big a few months ago are now snug and uncomfortable.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    You know what is weird... I haven't lost anything in like 2 weeks weight wise but I have dropped a lot of inches. I find that odd.

Google the article "Why The Scale Lies"
    The number on the scale is only one indicator of weight loss.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Google the article "Why The Scale Lies"
    The number on the scale is only one indicator of weight loss.

ok sounds interesting. I'll read it.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    I only looked at yesterday's menu, but, it seems very diety and not very well rounded to me.
    I'd want to stab someone if that's all I ate in one day.
    Your menu is lacking in fruits/veg/dairy/healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive oil).
  • Pitterpatter
    Options
    i normally eat better than yesterday. Monday's are rough with the kids, lol.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging food on the weekends. So all your hard work is blown those 2 days. You need to track your food every day. Thats why you aren't losing anything.
  • Pitterpatter
    Options
    i don't eat any differently on the weekends (less actually). i don't have time on the weekends .
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i don't eat any differently on the weekends (less actually). i don't have time on the weekends .

Thats what you say. The fact you haven't lost any weight says otherwise. I log daily. I weight everything. I am as conservative as I can be in my estimates of calories burned etc. I don't "cheat".

You need to log every thing every day.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    4 things that I noticed right off the bat (I went back about a month)

1) I can't really tell how many calories deficit you have since you didn't give your height and weight, so I can't see if your goal is what it should be.

2) You're leaving a ton of calories on the table, that's not necessarily a good thing. I notice that you're at 11 lbs left. You can't afford a big deficit to begin with, your body won't support it, doubling or tripling that deficit isn't going to help you lose weight, it's just going to tell your body to reduce it's metabolic rate, canabalize muscle mass, and increase fat storage.

3) You're only giving yourself 1 and rarely 2 servings of veggies a day, thats way less than you should be.

4) you're not logging on the weekend. That's not going to be an easy way to do this. Until you're comfortable with eating every day, you need to be diligent about your logging.
  • Pitterpatter
    Options

Thats what you say. The fact you haven't lost any weight says otherwise. I log daily. I weight everything. I am as conservative as I can be in my estimates of calories burned etc. I don't "cheat".

You need to log every thing every day.

just b/c i don't log it doesn't mean i "cheat". i seriously doubt i've gained weight b/c i don't log the weekends food wise.
  • Pitterpatter
    Options
    4 things that I noticed right off the bat (I went back about a month)

1) I can't really tell how many calories deficit you have since you didn't give your height and weight, so I can't see if your goal is what it should be.

2) You're leaving a ton of calories on the table, that's not necessarily a good thing. I notice that you're at 11 lbs left. You can't afford a big deficit to begin with, your body won't support it, doubling or tripling that deficit isn't going to help you lose weight, it's just going to tell your body to reduce it's metabolic rate, canabalize muscle mass, and increase fat storage.

3) You're only giving yourself 1 and rarely 2 servings of veggies a day, thats way less than you should be.

4) you're not logging on the weekend. That's not going to be an easy way to do this. Until you're comfortable with eating every day, you need to be diligent about your logging.

thanks!!! i don't understand 2) though, lol.
  • Pitterpatter
    Options
    i can't figure out where to type in my height and weight. :blushing:
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    #2 is a lot of mumbo jumbo. Clearly, you're eating.
    Unless you like being far to heady and enjoy over-thinking things on a physiological level.

The less you have to lose, the slower it is to come off.
    Be patient, plan balanced meals (even when it seems like you're too busy) and stick with it.
    Maybe switch your diet/menu up for a little kick start.
    (Like I said originally, focus on geting more fruit/veg/dairy/good fats)
    You'll reach your goal.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This was posted by a buddy of mine and it really explains the calories you need to eat :wink: You are working out a lot and your body needs fuel to keep going :heart:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KarenBorter/view/get-your-head-right-49593
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    #2 is a lot of mumbo jumbo. Clearly, you're eating.
    Unless you like being far to heady and enjoy over-thinking things on a physiological level.

The less you have to lose, the slower it is to come off.
    Be patient, plan balanced meals (even when it seems like you're too busy) and stick with it.
    Maybe switch your diet/menu up for a little kick start.
    (Like I said originally, focus on geting more fruit/veg/dairy/good fats)
    You'll reach your goal.

pardon me?

you said "clearly, you're eating." But she's averaging 500 calories left on the table. Over and above her goal deficit.