Quick easy ways to get protein in?

Options
1235»

Replies

• 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I struggle getting my protein in and I'm not a good cook. Anyone have some quick, easy ways to get protein in?

Chicken and ground turkey. I use a griddler, like a big George Foreman grill. Place on grill, close lid. Done in a few.

And like I am sure has already been said, eggs, milk, cottage cheese, tuna and protein powder. I buy it by the 5 lb can, ON Whey Isolate for about 50 bucks at the Vitamin Shoppe. I like the cookies ad cream. Mixes great in water or milk.

Best of luck..........
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and if you have a little time to cook, chicken breasts.
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breasts are definitely easy to get some good protein. All I do is buy skinless, boneless chicken breast and sprinkle some pepper on it and throw it in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes. Once it's done, I cut it up and save it for lunch/dinner throughout the week.

As for Protein shakes, that's another great idea. I know Walmart has a big tub of Whey protein for around $18 in Vanilla or Chocolate flavors. I haven't gotten as far as making protein shakes yet but I'm going to soon. I plan on freezing some Strawberries and Bananas so I can use them for my shakes.

Good luck!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Bang for the buck you are going to get more protein out of a supplement (whey or whey isolate) than you will out of a "meat" source. a single chicken breast will cost you? then how much time and effort to cook it and eat it? ... a protein shake takes about 2 minutes... and you can do all kinds of recipes with it... Pudding, oatmeal, you can even add it to like an iced coffee...
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1. Cottage cheese
    2. Greek yogurt
    3. Protein shakes (get a blender bottle, easy to use, easy to clean, you don't need a blender)
    4. Canned tuna
    5. Canned salmon (you can find skinless and boneless)
    6. Canned chicken
    7. Precooked chickens at the supermarket
    8. Boca Burgers (you can nuke them)
    9. Sliced turkey at the deli counter

Also try adding some protein boosters to things, like add soy grits to cereal or yogurt or whatever, or peanut butter 2.
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/soy-grits-defatted.html
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    cheap whey protein? is like accepting the lowest contractor's bid to build your house... YOU are going to get what you pay for,,, DO some research on Protein supplements... try to source New Zealand products, they do not feed their cattle herd antibiotics, Steroids OR Hormones... OR you can source your protein from soy, or goats... which will also reduce the amount of "extras" found in other whey protein sources.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    HANDKÄSE!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkäse

This wonderful German cheese has 1 or 2% fat, and 30 grams of protein and 124 calories per 100 grams!

That's 4.13 calories per gram protein. This ratio beats the following foods:

Raw chicken (4.78)
    Cottage Cheese (7.92)
    Plain Yoghurt (20.3)
    Tuna (4.46)
    Quinoa (28.8)

And they come in little 50-gram rolls that are useful for bringing with you and snacking.

mainzer-mit-kuemmel.jpg
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1. Cottage cheese
    2. Greek yogurt
    3. Protein shakes (get a blender bottle, easy to use, easy to clean, you don't need a blender)
    4. Canned tuna
    5. Canned salmon (you can find skinless and boneless)
    6. Canned chicken
    7. Precooked chickens at the supermarket
    8. Boca Burgers (you can nuke them)
    9. Sliced turkey at the deli counter

Also try adding some protein boosters to things, like add soy grits to cereal or yogurt or whatever, or peanut butter 2.
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/soy-grits-defatted.html

I would also like to add a recommendation for TVP (textured vegetable protein). You can add it to soups, stews, and anything you can add ground beef to. So, things like tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce, hamburgers. It comes dehydrated, so you have to re-hydrate it or cook it with something that already has a lot of moisture that it can soak up.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Chicken is an easy protein fix. And really, for what you pay for a whole chicken to go home and cook it, you can get the same value with one already rotisseried at the grocery store. Boom. Chicken fix.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this too, as a vegetarian meat products are out for me and when I researched protein rich foods I was pretty disheartened to see it's all foods I have never liked. I've put a few on my next shopping list and am going to try and force myself to eat some, but I suspect I'm going to struggle to get it all via diet alone.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    eggs, or protein shakes are the easiest

Thanks! I thought about the protein shakes just not sure I want to spend $75 However often. Maybe I'll hard boil some eggs!
    depending on where you buy your protein it can actually be one of the cheapest sources of protein out there. hard boiled eggs are great though, very convenient to make and take on the go

There are different types of protein. I use whey isolate for post-workout and whey concentrate for meal replacement. (may have gotten that backwards) That $75 bucks easily lasts me six months or more. It's probably about the same as what I spend on eggs, milk and cottage cheese in a month. Do you have a gym membership? If that's worth the monthly cost this is even more valuable.
  • wvuchica43
    wvuchica43 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't have to be expensive. Shop around and look for whey isolate. You get the most protein for your calories.

I also eat mini babybel cheese. 50 calories and 6g protein. You don't have to be a chef to make chicken ahead of time. I also cook large batches at a time.

Easy recipe: 1 jar salsa (like for chips); 3-4 chicken breasts--Add both to the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hrs. Once it's done shred the chicken and mix. Save in a tupperware to eat throughout the week. Great over rice or as taco filling. I also eat some over toast and some cheese on top.

For grilled chicken or oven cooked chicken I cut the chicken breast in smaller pieces and season with just garlic salt and a little sprinkle of spanish sazon (red powders) to give it some additional color. Just go easy on how you sprinkle so it's not salty...mix in a shake or two of soy sauce and vinegar....let it sit a few minutes to marinade and cook in the oven or grill.

It really isn't hard to cook chicken...and if you don't have any intolence to eggs...it is one of the best foods to eat too.

Mental note of the salsa recipe!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    32 oz. Plain Nonfat Greek yogurt. Yeah, that should do the trick.