Is it possible to lose 20 pounds in 5 months?

Options
I am going on Vacation in about 5 months.. is it possible to lose 20lbs in that amount of time.. Dieting/Exercising 5 days a week..?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    yes. eat at a 500 cal daily deficit and you will see that weight come off. 20 lbs in 5 months is very doable
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Depends what you do on the other 2 days of the week.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Depends what you do on the other 2 days of the week.

Very much this^^^^
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

In general - yes it is possible to lose 20 pounds in 5 months, as that is roughly 1 pound per week, assuming you need to lose that much.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight. Someone 5'4 200 lbs could do this with ease. Someone 5'7 135 lbs will have a much harder time.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    5'4 - 150lb .. errr
  • cmendoza13
    cmendoza13 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and was at 150. I started February 17th and am down 20 lbs, so yes, it is very doable as long as you commit to eating right and exercising diligently. Good luck!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it really depends on your starting stats. I dropped 20ish pounds in a little under four months, but I was 214 and 5'7 to start, so I had a ways to go, and that was taking it really slowly for me. At 60 pounds lighter and only three inches shorter, that'll be a lot harder for you.

Good news: If you blend a good amount of cardio with a reasonable deficit and resistance training, don't go ape**** on your rest days and keep at it consistently, regardless of the numbers, in five months you'll look great. Don't worry so much about what the scale says. Five months is plenty of time to get in shape and look damn good.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    5'4 - 150lb .. errr

At this height/weight it would be difficult, but possible, to lose so much. Also, I hope you were referring to the exercising when you mention 5 days a week. If you don't watch what you eat 2 days every week, you can undo everything you gained in the other 5 days.

I also see you already lost 24 pounds. Based on that experience you should know how fast you lose weight.
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    Yes that is very possible, do you have a formal plan (diet) that you are going to follow or simply the MyFitnessPal theory of "eat less, exercise more, lose weight"?

I've seen similar height/weight people do that in 3 months on more formal plans.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    The 24lbs is what i gained back in the past year and a half. :(
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    At 150 pounds, 20 pounds is 13% of your total body weight. Yes, it is possible to lose that much in 5 months but it will get progressively more difficult as you pass losing the first ten pounds. If you weighed almost 280 pounds like me, 20 pounds is only 7% of your body weight and is easier to lose in that period of time.

So, certainly, you can aim for it but don't beat yourself up if you don't make it.

(Yes, guys, I know. It's calories in calories out but it does get harder to lose weight as you get closer to goal and she's close to goal already by some standards.)
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I plan on eating less (not starving myself) exercising... yup!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's doable depending on your start weight. A friend in my weight loss group lost 20 pounds in 3 months. She is your height but weighs quite a bit more. She logged her food (kept under her daily MFP goals) and did cardio 3 days per week. She allowed herself one cheat day but didn't go crazy on that day.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    have a fitbit & i have a heart rate monitor also.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    5mo = ~20 weeks....

~1lb/week loss is perfectly doable and healthy.
    it will not be easy since you dont have much to lose, but if you put your mind (and body) to it you will succeed.

where are you going on vacation?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable. Go for it!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Taking my son to Disney world ... not losing weight "for vacation" per say.. Just something to help motivate me..
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    yes. eat at a 500 cal daily deficit and you will see that weight come off. 20 lbs in 5 months is very doable

qft