Toxic Friend

Options

Replies

• Firemansam79
    Firemansam79 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The truth hurts.... But it sounds like with this guy he wont feel it.

You need to tell him like it is. Make sure you make a point that you concider him your best friend. I wouldn't dance around the subject at hand either, be firm and straight forward. Make sure its about how you feel around him, and not how he is. Finish with you are there for him if he needs you.

Before he has a chance to even say whatever, walk away. But be prepared to not hear from him for a while or ever.

I've severed some ties. All have been great moves. Remember to forgive yourself for walking away, its not your problem and you tried like hell.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Failing that... how old are you? Can you speak to his parents in confidence? other than that i dont think there is anything else you can do...

26, he's two weeks younger than me. I think the parents are a dead end, they seem to be the least social people I've ever met, even if I say "hello" to them they seem to grunt and walk past, lovely family that.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have been there, and it is a difficult situation. I personally understand what depression is like, but when someone refuses to do any of the work it takes to improve their situation, it becomes a " misery loves company" type of thing. People who insist on constantly being negative trigger my own issues, and although I am willing to do just about anything for a friend, my own mental/ physical health always comes first. You can help someone, but it is pointless if they aren't willing to help themselves.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    I've severed some ties. All have been great moves. Remember to forgive yourself for walking away, its not your problem and you tried like hell.

Yeah, I've just got to remember that. I've been the best possible friend I could be to Dave but unfortunately it's 99% me and 1% him most of the time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - he needs to be willing to seek help. You can't fix him by yourself. However, maybe you can takes steps to make it easier for him to get help.

You said he is too stubborn to speak with a doctor himself. What if you looked into different therapists in your area and received information from them on ways they can help and their pricing. You could take this information and just leave it at his house the next time you're there for a visit.

Thank you for the ideas, but I have attempted this before and he always has an answer to go against it.

Hell, when he said he didn't want to see a doctor about his infected toe I suggested he ring NHS Direct (a british telephone service where you can get certain prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy without seeing a doctor) and he wouldn't do it.

Call NHS and talk to them about your concerns about his mental health. They will be able to help him. Tell them all of it, his refusal to get treatment even for his toe, and how he's not getting treatment for depression. He needs help, and it's not the kind of help you can give him, but you can alert people who can help him about what's going on.

They can and do take calls about people who are concerned about other people's mental health, he doesn't have to call them himself to get help, although it's better if he talks to them.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    dlrp_pooh_eeyore_030106.gif
    What would Pooh do?

Nah, but seriously, it people are constantly bringing you down, and never do anything to bring you up, you have to ask yourself what the relationship is really worth. Sometimes the best things for us are the most difficult things to do.

In Eyeore's defense, he does have a nail stuck up his butt. So his depression is understandable. Lol.
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - he needs to be willing to seek help. You can't fix him by yourself. However, maybe you can takes steps to make it easier for him to get help.

You said he is too stubborn to speak with a doctor himself. What if you looked into different therapists in your area and received information from them on ways they can help and their pricing. You could take this information and just leave it at his house the next time you're there for a visit.

Thank you for the ideas, but I have attempted this before and he always has an answer to go against it.

Hell, when he said he didn't want to see a doctor about his infected toe I suggested he ring NHS Direct (a british telephone service where you can get certain prescriptions faxed to the pharmacy without seeing a doctor) and he wouldn't do it.

You've done what you can. You've worked hard to get yourself healthy, don't let somebody take that away from you. Let him know how you feel, that you will always be there for him when he decides to take control of his life, and walk away.
  • lewispwest
    Options

Call NHS and talk to them about your concerns about his mental health. They will be able to help him. Tell them all of it, his refusal to get treatment even for his toe, and how he's not getting treatment for depression. He needs help, and it's not the kind of help you can give him, but you can alert people who can help him about what's going on.

They can and do take calls about people who are concerned about other people's mental health, he doesn't have to call them himself to get help, although it's better if he talks to them.

The thing is I'm virtually certain he's been to counselling/therapy before but then just gave it up for one reason or another, along with the medication.

At one point I was given a mild anti-depressant to help me sleep and he was telling me not to take them which indicated to me that he'd stopped taking his, hence when I actually got put on them to level my mood I never told him :/
  • lewispwest
    Options

You've done what you can. You've worked hard to get yourself healthy, don't let somebody take that away from you. Let him know how you feel, that you will always be there for him when he decides to take control of his life, and walk away.

Agreed, thank you. I've been at some terrifically low points in my life, especially in the last few years, and never projected them on to any one else. Yes I have taken a while to get them sorted but I have started now and am making great progress in fixing my life and like you say I can't have a self destructive person take that away from me.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Given what the OPs said and what I know about clinical depression, it's very possible that this guy is not able to make that decision because the depression is too far gone. I really don't think it's good advice to just leave him without any contact with people who can help him. I understand if the OP is feeling out of his depth, but NHS direct do take calls from peopel concerned with other people's mental health - he can call NHS direct and tell them all his concerns about this friend and they should be able to help his friend, even if he wants to step back from the friendship for a while. But with severe depression, the person can't always make a decision to get treatment like that, which is why mental health professionals will sometimes decide to intervene even if someone's refusing treatment, if they judge that person is not in a fit mental state to make decisions like that for themselves.

Whether such intervention is necessary would be the call of NHS direct- but if it is and no-one knows how ill this guy is, then no-one can help him.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

The thing is I'm virtually certain he's been to counselling/therapy before but then just gave it up for one reason or another, along with the medication.

At one point I was given a mild anti-depressant to help me sleep and he was telling me not to take them which indicated to me that he'd stopped taking his, hence when I actually got put on them to level my mood I never told him :/

You can still discuss this with NHS direct though... refusal to take medication can be a symptom of the illness... whoever treated him before may not be aware he's doing this. It does sound like he needs more help - I don't think you can help him beyond letting people know what's going on. And to be honest, that's all I'm saying you should do, i.e. just let them know what's going on.
  • Firemansam79
    Firemansam79 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've just got to remember that. I've been the best possible friend I could be to Dave but unfortunately it's 99% me and 1% him most of the time.

Then it's time for a separation or divorce.... Why do I act like this is a Marriage? Because you should be married to your best friend, not literally, but those friendships should be like a marriage, 50/50 or at least a point either way.

Before I married my wife, a friend of mine asked me who my best friend was. Not thinking about it I say my buddies name. He said then your getting married to the wrong person. It made me chuckle, so I thought I would share. lol
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Also, just to add, if you call NHS direct and they sya there's nothing that can be done - then you can leave the situation knowing tht you did all that you could.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Also, just to add, if you call NHS direct and they sya there's nothing that can be done - then you can leave the situation knowing tht you did all that you could.

Yeah okay, just wanted to avoid feeling responsible for him when he has family that should be doing that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Real friendship isn't about being completely selfless all of the time. No relationship can be successful if it's entirely one-sided.

Successful relationships are reciprocal. There may not be equal 50-50 give all of the time - sometimes one person will give more than another to help the other through a tough time, but it shouldn't be that way always.

You are not responsible for his (or anybody's) happiness.

You are responsible for yours.

If helping him brings you happiness and you enjoy it, keep doing it.

If it's emotionally draining, taking up a ton of your energy and time, and is a soul suck, you should taper off.

I have allowed a number of toxic relationships to exist in my past. I will never do it again. Even if the person is related to me. I won't cut people off - I'm not cold. But I will limit how much of myself I am willing to invest in someone who is incapable of helping himself or herself.

Hope that perspective helps. And I hope your friend will get some help.

I have a similar 'toxic' friend... and this is brilliant advice, thank you.
  • lewispwest
    Options

Then it's time for a separation or divorce.... Why do I act like this is a Marriage? Because you should be married to your best friend, not literally, but those friendships should be like a marriage, 50/50 or at least a point either way.

Before I married my wife, a friend of mine asked me who my best friend was. Not thinking about it I say my buddies name. He said then your getting married to the wrong person. It made me chuckle, so I thought I would share. lol

Funny you should say that, I lived with a friend for a good few years (he went funny near the end because I bought my own place and he had to move in with his sister) and whenever I talk about him it does sound like a divorce!

Yeah, I went on holiday with Dave for four days just to Amsterdam and I wanted to throttle him by day three so I agree with your marriage analogy!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Yeah okay, just wanted to avoid feeling responsible for him when he has family that should be doing that.

Do they know what's going on? I agree it is their responsibility not yours. And really your responsibility ends in letting others who can help know what's going on.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Real friendship isn't about being completely selfless all of the time. No relationship can be successful if it's entirely one-sided.

Successful relationships are reciprocal. There may not be equal 50-50 give all of the time - sometimes one person will give more than another to help the other through a tough time, but it shouldn't be that way always.

You are not responsible for his (or anybody's) happiness.

You are responsible for yours.

If helping him brings you happiness and you enjoy it, keep doing it.

If it's emotionally draining, taking up a ton of your energy and time, and is a soul suck, you should taper off.

I have allowed a number of toxic relationships to exist in my past. I will never do it again. Even if the person is related to me. I won't cut people off - I'm not cold. But I will limit how much of myself I am willing to invest in someone who is incapable of helping himself or herself.

Hope that perspective helps. And I hope your friend will get some help.

I have a similar 'toxic' friend... and this is brilliant advice, thank you.

Agreed.
  • lewispwest
    Options

Do they know what's going on? I agree it is their responsibility not yours. And really your responsibility ends in letting others who can help know what's going on.

I couldn't possibly say, I don't think they like me a great deal after I took Dave to get his first tattoo (I found out later they absolutely despise tattoos) and I got the blame for it despite him being 21 years old. To be honest they should know if they live with him, just from walking in there yesterday it's immediately apparent.
  • media2law
    media2law Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been there too with my friends. I spent the better part of 2013 trying to encourage a group of friends to take the path of health and fitness. Now, I am no where near the end of my journey but I would hear them say they needed someone to help motivate them to get moving and make healthy food choices. So I was that girl. Always sending out encouragement, offering to go to fitness classes, bringing healthy snacks for them to try. When the resistance outweighed the participation and when the complaining began to carry over to my life I decided to break ties. I am ashamed to say that it got so bad that I stopped working out and eating healthy because I didn't want to get too far ahead on my journey and make them think I left them behind. That resulted in a 30 pound weight gain over the winter that only now I starting to fall off because I have re-dedicated myself to my journey. The moral to my story? As much as you may love your friend and want what is best for him you cannot change him or make him want it for himself. You have to be true to your journey. The saying goes: "if you can't change the people aroind you then CHANGE the people around you." Good luck!