Gastric Sleeve???

Options
2»

Replies

• hotann
    hotann Posts: 2
    Options
    HI Vanessa, I was sleeved on Aug 8th; congrats on the weight loss. When I talked with my dr. about the fluids he said he would be happy with 40 oz right now becuase it is so soon after surgery. I do get 40 and sometimes I can get the recommended 60 oz is but I have to start at 7am and I'm usually drinking up to the time I lay down for the night.

Take it slow, you'll figure it out.

Best of luck!
  • sandra22466
    Options
    Hi all! recently had Gastric Sleeve and new here, could sure use friends :flowerforyou: please add me.
  • turneral0925
    Options
    HI I'M April was sleeved on 8/29/14. Honestly not hungry, but fighting the temptation to eat even though I know there will
    consequences ...lost 7 lbs..but really frustrated! Suggestions?
  • sistersoe
    sistersoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi, I was sleeved on Friday 9/5/14, I'm getting better everyday as far as the pain...I am head hungry and I can't tell if my stomach is growling or gurgling from the new shaped stomach. What are you eating and drinking? It would be great to have someone new on the bench to share this journey. I'm off work for at least two weeks, I check in daily. I also log in my food diary. I bought some protein shots (sort of like those energy things) and when I'm opened and tasted it OMG that was awful, reminded me of some nasty barium drink before a gastric scan. I tossed those right into the garbage can. Today I ordered Syntrax Nector unflavored off Amazon to try. I know my protein intake in this phase is too low. I beef up skim milk by adding non-fat dry milk, then make up a Carnation Essential no sugar breakfast drink. I'm drinking hot bullion, jello, greek yogart, pudding and that's about it besides Crystal light and a cup of coffee in the morning. Any suggestions is welcomed. Add me and we can chug along.:glasses:
  • Staceyholland66
    Options
    I had my sleeve done 8/25/14. I'm pretty sick of soup and protein shakes! Oh well, only a few more days until mashed potatoes! I'm having a hard time getting all the water down. Any ideas? I don't like crystal light or mio really just because they are super bad for you. Also tried Kroger flavored water. Yuck!! I love regular water, but can't gulp it fast enough to get down the large quanities.
  • rainydayinmay
    Options
    I'm about to get sleeved. Two weeks from today actually. I did so much research, I was dealing with it awesomely but now that I'm at this point, my head is just freaking me out a bit. I'm not scared or nervous about one particular thing, just starting to get overwhelmed I guess. My surgeons office said they would set me up with a "buddy" who has been through it, but that is yet to happen (that was 6 weeks ago) so I would love to connect. Any ideas or advice would be great. I'm really struggling developing a stomach for protein drinks. I know I'll have to...
  • SuddenlySlimmerSusan
    Options
    Good luck to all the new surgery people. I am 10 months post op with my sleeve. I have lost 150lbs, and I have 60 - 80 left to go.

The first couple months after the surgery are the hardest - there are only limited foods you can eat - you are learning new habits as far as eating, drinking, taking vitamins, etc. I found My Fitness Pal difficult to use during those first weeks, because the quantity of food was so small (1/8th of cup), and sometimes I would do things like order a cup of vegetable beef soup and eat all the meat out of it, with a little bit of the other things. (How do you track that, you are getting all the protein, but only 1/4 cup of the soup.) By month three I had kind of hit a sweet spot, I had my food routines down. I started using my fitness pal to keep track of calories, grams of protein, and grams of carbs. (I aim for 900 calories, 75 g protein minimum, and 90 grams carbs max per day - but follow your nutritionists guidelines.)

My suggestions: after week 4 (on my surgeon's plan) eat lots of fish and shrimp. Fabulous protein, low in calories, easy for your new tender stomach to digest. Also, don't weigh yourself more often than once per week (at most). Daily weight fluctuations due to fluid retention, etc. will make you crazy. Exercise - ideally by finding activities that you enjoy and sticking with them. For me it is Aquaaerobics, swimming and bike riding. You might like Zumba, Yoga or walking. Try out different classes - if you like it you are more likely to do it and keep doing it for the long term.

Protein Drinks - after surgery I discovered I hated thick protein drinks, and overly sweet ones (I find the artificial sweetener flavor overpowering). After much trial and error I discovered Syntrax Nectar - only 100 calories for 23g of protein if you mix with water. The cappuccino flavor is my go to flavor - I have had it every day for the last 8 months. (Can be heated to 120 degrees in the microwave - very nice in the winter.) I also like the lemonade and fuzzy navel flavors. I also drink decaf soy latte's for a protein treat some days - but My Fitness Pal keeps me honest because those have more calories. (170 for a hot 16oz Soy Latte, 130 for an iced 16oz Soy Latte - sugar free syrups are a nice treat too!). Skim milk lattes (for those who can drink milk) are even higher in protein, and lower in calories.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was sleeved on 9/18/14 and have just "graduated" to some soft foods --- eggs, soft cheeses, and fish (after three weeks). Each surgeon / program is different as you can tell from what people post, so I would strongly recommend getting a list of what foods you can have at each stage from your particular coordinator. For instance, I cannot yet have milk or milk products or foods like mashed potatoes. I am very happy with my progress so far and feel great --- but honestly, I do miss certain foods and I do feel hungry from time to time. Knowing that eventually, I can have "regular" foods again (especially healthier versions) keeps me sane. I still use Unjury unflavored protein powder and mix it with water and Crystal Light. Certain flavors are too sweet now after surgery which is strange but alot of people post that. Unjury has a sample pack that you can order also. I hope that helps. Good luck!! :)
  • ktpie76
    ktpie76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is my group! Im a year out, give or take. Best decision ever! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100820-gastric-sleeve-before-during-and-after