Does running destroy your knees?

Options
1235»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1) Running doesn't ruin your knees; but being stupid about running will.
    2) Cheetahs are actually not the apex predators some would think (they are daily out-competed, have to kill fast, and move on before stronger animals get in). They can sprint very fast for very short distances, and if they miss their kill, they are in trouble because they have used so much energy. Its all give and take in the evolutionary arms race.
    3)If humans weren't meant to run, we would have the muscle structure of the other primates, instead of a muscle structure that more closely matches a horse. We evolved to run. We sweat, antelope don't. They have a heat transfer problem. We can take more than one breath per stride, they can't. On a hot day, it takes persistence hunters 3-5 hours (at about a 9-10 minute mile) to run a deer to death. Is it all that weird that marathons are so popular?

edited for clarity

And being stupid about heavy squatting will ruin your knees faster and more effectively.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever experience pain in my knees while running is when I've done it on a treadmill. I don't know what that means, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I was also about 20 pounds heavier than I am now so that may have been a factor. Once the winter comes, I'm gonna try the treadmill again and see how it goes.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about your knees then start out your walks/runs on trails. They have far less impact on your knees and actually can give you a much harder workout than the street. Plus that whole scenery thing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    long distance running is not good for you

Care to back up that load of twaddle with some science?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    long distance running is not good for you

Care to back up that load of twaddle with some science?

We cleared that up about 15 posts down.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    w/e