Using Dumbells/Weights while on treadmill

Options
13»

Replies

• skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm actually surprised at the responses because I see this daily at my gym, people doing tricep kick backs with light weight 5/8/10 DB while walking on the treadmill, or as someone mentioned doing curls while walking, and as of recently, I've seen someone use the stairmaster with a 35lb plate overhead..I never thought to do it, but I of course didn't think anything was hazardous as a result of it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me some info on whether or not using weights and/or dumbells ( 10-12lbs ) while on treadmill is a good idea?

Forgive me is this is redundant or ignorant but Im new and any info would really help me out ~

Thanks so much!

Sorry to say that but it sounds ridiculous... Do either cardio or weight lifting and not both at the same time.
  • plodster
    plodster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused as to why you want to make excercising so complicated...? I don't think this will speed any thing up but possibly land you in hospital when you fall of the tredmill. By all means crack on but you do best to do the cardio interchanging between hills and speed which will work your legs and then do weights after? good luck any way.:ohwell:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Everyone discouraging you is just jealous of your awesomeness! It's definitely possible and the heavier the weights the better! It'll also help you resist the urge to hold on when the treadmill is going too fast to keep up. #winwin

If you're going to add in the jump rope, definitely incorporate some double unders for that extra challenge!

ETA: spelling

I would hope you don't encourage lilbee to talk down to people this way. The OP was just asking a question and seems intent on learning. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Everyone discouraging you is just jealous of your awesomeness! It's definitely possible and the heavier the weights the better! It'll also help you resist the urge to hold on when the treadmill is going too fast to keep up. #winwin

If you're going to add in the jump rope, definitely incorporate some double unders for that extra challenge!

Jealous? No. I actually care about helping people, and walking with hand-held weights causes injuries and does nothing for fitness. The advice YOU are giving her, is actually harmful. :noway:

better stop with the pocket books and clutches then. who knew that women were risking injury every day.

btw, walking on a treadmil carries a risk of injuries

The OP was advising to go with as heavy a weight as possible on the treadmill. How does that compare to purses?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Jealous? No. I actually care about helping people, and walking with hand-held weights causes injuries and does nothing for fitness. The advice YOU are giving her, is actually harmful. :noway:

I think your sarcasm meter is broken.

Oops. Your right, I missed the sarcasm. :blushing:
  • julbutcher
    julbutcher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It was a good question and good for you for asking before going ahead and doing something that might be harmful. We are here to support each other. Your response the the mean replies was very good. Good luck with your weight loss. This really is a good program.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm actually surprised at the responses because I see this daily at my gym, people doing tricep kick backs with light weight 5/8/10 DB while walking on the treadmill, or as someone mentioned doing curls while walking, and as of recently, I've seen someone use the stairmaster with a 35lb plate overhead..I never thought to do it, but I of course didn't think anything was hazardous as a result of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... I'm already having trouble, carrying a load of laundry safely up the stairs in my house without tripping over my feet! I can't even imagine, having a 35 lbs plate above my head.... I'd rather pick up 2 good size dumbbells and step-up on a stationary (!!!!!) bench for a good glute workout!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

There's a couple of things:

- Injury - When wrist and ankle weights came in in the 80's, the repetitive motion injuries that can happen with walking and running skyrocketed. They mess with the essential biomechanics of each activity and add a whole lot of extra force because they are at the end of a pendulum. So, they're forcing you to use bad form and get yourself injured.

- Value - Even if you were doing tri-kickbacks at a quick walk, you'd get more value at running, stopping the treadmill and then doing tri kickbacks. You'd be able to add more weight on the kickback and use more intensity and better form with both exercises. This means that you'd provide better stimulation for your cardio system and muscles in the same amount of time.

You'll see people doing all kinds of things in a gym. Doesn't necessarily mean they're a good idea.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... I'm already having trouble, carrying a load of laundry safely up the stairs in my house without tripping over my feet! I can't even imagine, having a 35 lbs plate above my head.... I'd rather pick up 2 good size dumbbells and step-up on a stationary (!!!!!) bench for a good glute workout!

I was going to say, I can't imagine a gym would actually allow that! Can you imagine if he lost his balance??
  • skeo
    Options

- Injury - When wrist and ankle weights came in in the 80's, the repetitive motion injuries that can happen with walking and running skyrocketed. They mess with the essential biomechanics of each activity and add a whole lot of extra force because they are at the end of a pendulum. So, they're forcing you to use bad form and get yourself injured.

- Value - Even if you were doing tri-kickbacks at a quick walk, you'd get more value at running, stopping the treadmill and then doing tri kickbacks. You'd be able to add more weight on the kickback and use more intensity and better form with both exercises. This means that you'd provide better stimulation for your cardio system and muscles in the same amount of time.

You'll see people doing all kinds of things in a gym. Doesn't necessarily mean they're a good idea.

I agree, I see so much random a** stuff at my gym, that I literally have no words. And I knew about the ankle weights and the waist trimmers and all of the hocus pocus stuff, and I ask myself, what do they expect to achieve with these little nuisances, I have bad knees so the idea of even adding extra weight or pull on my joints pains me, and I want to go up to these people and shake them and say "save your joints!!!" :noway:
  • skeo
    Options

I was going to say, I can't imagine a gym would actually allow that! Can you imagine if he lost his balance??

that's what I'm saying, but she thinks that it works the core even more by "forcing" your body to stay up right. :huh:
  • ashleyd1210
    ashleyd1210 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If the reason for this is to strength train while doing cardio, then as others have said (some kindly, some not so kindly) I would suggest not doing so. However, if you are trying to cut down time at the gym or hate cardio (like i do! :), try doing cardio between sets and shorten your time on the treadmill. I like doing jumping jacks, jump rope, jog in place between my lifting sets. I hate hate hate cardio and I have found this the best way to get cardio in without dreading it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

better stop with the pocket books and clutches then. who knew that women were risking injury every day.

btw, walking on a treadmil carries a risk of injuries

The OP was advising to go with as heavy a weight as possible on the treadmill. How does that compare to purses?

lol i guess i only read like the first 5 words

still doesn't change my answer much though. if 10 punds is really the max she can hold in her hands then she may be seating herself up for some kind of shoulder or lower back injury.

for most people i wouldn't think it would be that dangerous, assuming you didn't drop the weight and you didn't over fatigue yourself too much.

i would defeinetly suggest a weighted vest if this is really ones choosen route.

i guess the other thing didn't bother checking out is if she is walking or running, thats going to make a difference.

i can personally attest that plyo with a weighted vest on is essentially dangerous but that is well mitigated with proper form
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

the usefulness of the method is certianly up for debate, but i'd argue that injuries resulting from the activity is more from over use.

if you put on a vest and try do a 5 K, its a bit much.

these things have thier places but they are probably far more useful for atheletes then someone looking to lose wieght
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the cutting attitudes some people have. I almost took it to heart and felt discouraged then I realized they don't know me and I AM extremely glad I asked. I suppose they simply forgot they were new at this once too, all good. My question has been interpreted in some odd ways lol

I simply thought - Im walking on the treadmill and my arms weren't really doing anything, maybe I could up the " bang for your buck with some light weights. I NOW know this is not a good idea. I wasn't concerned with time or being complicated, or interested in mobile dead lifting etc LOL

Anyways - Thanks to all your advice,

Sarah
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the two pages of responses so sorry if this was said:

When I was over 300 pounds and found it physically impossible to actually run, I took a class offered at my gym. They had us walking on treadmills and over the course of the hour we would change speed, incline, etc. and then also add things with weights or resistance bands.

Now, I'm incredibly uncoordinated. I have tibial torsion and I tend to trip on everything. But I never lost balance or control. I found it a beneficial way to increase my heart rate when I was unable to walk any faster or at a higher incline because it was too hard on my joints at the time. Now I prefer to jog separately, but it was great at the moment.