Putting on too much bodyfat, not nearly enough muscle...

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1) if you aren't weighing your food, you're eating more than you think.
    2) if you aren't getting enough protein, and you're burning a lot of calories, you could be losing muscle.
    3) you can put on water weight while eating in a deficit. It goes away.
    4) you're only 21. It's doubtful you've done that much damage to your metabolic function, if any at all. I'm twice your age, and I went through chemo, which absolutely destroys metabolic function, and I needed 2600 calories to gain on my first real bulk. I maintain on 2100, weigh 127 pounds, and am 5'7".
    5) if you're not in a progressive-loading strength training program, you're not going to gain any appreciable muscle.

Saying all of that, put these things in order, and you should see results.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ... moving quickly through the exercises,...

Why are you trying to do this?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What is your TDEE? If you're not eating above that then you're not gaining any muscle. And you're also not gaining any fat. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, what you are gaining is water weight.

My tdee is hard to gage because I lost so much weight (70 lbs) so it's going to be a lot less than that of a person who has been 133 lbs all her life, isn't that right?

For somebody who was 133 to start with, the lowest it would be (not including gym time) is 1700. With gym time added 3 times a week its something like 1900+ . Weight loss can cut a persons needed intake by several hundred calories, if I am not misinformed?

:huh: I have never heard this before...
  • rosesandsuch
    rosesandsuch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your body fat percentage measured? Most methods are not that reliable, and can be affected by hydration levels in your body, i.e. you can easily get a false high or false low reading from them.

If it's one of the accurate ones (e.g. DEXA) and you used the same method both times, and your weight only changed by 3lb while your body composition worsened, then the cause would either be cycling between undereating and overeating (e.g. being in a cycle of excessive restriction and binge eating), or not doing enough exercise. Or both. note: cardio is not good for protecting lean mass - doing hours of cardio while undereating is likely to worsen your body composition. Fat gain won't be from this, but it often causes rebound binge eating which causes fat gain.

If it's one that uses an electric current then ignore it and choose another method

if it's callipers and not done by the same person each time, or not done by someone who knows how to use them accurately, then find someone who is reliable at using them and have the same person measure you each time.

I can proudly say I no longer eat restrictively (though when I did it was because I had no idea eating so little was bad for you!) and very rarely overindulge on junk. I do, as everybody does, but not as frequently. At the gym I do an hour of cardio MAX, usually only twice a week, sometimes three if I am hiking or doing some other fun outdoor activity (though it's probably over an hour on those days!)
  • rosesandsuch
    Options

I didn't mean to get it over with, I just mean going too slowly instead of keeping a steady pace!
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I didn't mean to get it over with, I just mean going too slowly instead of keeping a steady pace!

If you're lifting heavy weights you need to rest in between sets.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What is your TDEE? If you're not eating above that then you're not gaining any muscle. And you're also not gaining any fat. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, what you are gaining is water weight.

My tdee is hard to gage because I lost so much weight (70 lbs) so it's going to be a lot less than that of a person who has been 133 lbs all her life, isn't that right?

For somebody who was 133 to start with, the lowest it would be (not including gym time) is 1700. With gym time added 3 times a week its something like 1900+ . Weight loss can cut a persons needed intake by several hundred calories, if I am not misinformed?

Yeah, I haven't heard that either.

If you truly want to bulk, then you need to figure out your TDEE. The online calculators are a good place to start, but the only way you're going to figure it out is by trial and error. My TDEE was actually 200 calories higher than all the calculators. You need to maintain your weight for at least a month, I'd say, to be sure that your TDEE is correct. Once you've figured that out, you can increase your calories by 200-400 and do a proper bulk.

I'll just leave these here, cuz they're full of awesome:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/building-muscle.php

http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Yeah, I haven't heard that either.

If you truly want to bulk, then you need to figure out your TDEE. The online calculators are a good place to start, but the only way you're going to figure it out is by trial and error. My TDEE was actually 200 calories higher than all the calculators. You need to maintain your weight for at least a month, I'd say, to be sure that your TDEE is correct. Once you've figured that out, you can increase your calories by 200-400 and do a proper bulk.

This^^

When you lose/gain weight, you will need to recalculate your TDEE. So say you weighed 133 this morning, you plug 133 lbs. into the calculator and follow the calories it gives for about 6 weeks, and recalculate then if progress stalls or your are losing/gaining too much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My weight has only gone up by 3 pounds but I feel so bloated and gross.

Congrats! You know you're really into fitness when body dysmorphic sets in. Keep up the good work.

Rude and completely unhelpful.

I didn't think that was rude at all, and in fact it's very helpful. The point being, 3lbs isn't going to have all kinds of dramatic effects that you are describing, even if it were 3lbs of pure fat. Increased calories will increase your weight (more water retention, more food in digestive system) so that's to be expected. Read the link above guide about bulking, it's got pretty much everything in there. If you pick a path (ie: bulking) then you have to be prepared for the consequences (weight gain and fat gain). If you're not, you're going to have a bad time (and probably make zero progress).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm the same weight but shorter and cut on 1700 cals so I don't think 1530 is bulking for you unless you've done some serious damage to your metabolism.

I know I have. It's taken me a long time to get up to this many calories because I ****ed up my initial weight loss several years ago eating too little. I had no idea it was bad at the time, but once I did I slowly began reintroducing calories with no issues along the way. I told her this information, I've been UP to 1,500 for a while actually, the weight gain is relatively recent/unexplained.

Your weight is probably maintaining at this calorie level because you've done it for so long. I'm pretty sure if you gradually increase it you will still maintain. No way you gained fat at 1500 :). Probably just glycogen.

Your metabolism will catch up quicker than you think - you haven't F'd it up.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The general idea is that if someone drops weight unhealthily and loses a lot of LBM, their maintenance calories at the end will be lower than expected. This is versus someone who has always been the same weight, because they haven't lost all the muscle. It could made a decent difference, I don't know about several hundred calories though. Maybe in extreme cases of VLCD and associated metabolic slowdown? Just another reason to lose weight slowly and lift lots of weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm the same weight but shorter and cut on 1700 cals so I don't think 1530 is bulking for you unless you've done some serious damage to your metabolism.

I know I have. It's taken me a long time to get up to this many calories because I ****ed up my initial weight loss several years ago eating too little. I had no idea it was bad at the time, but once I did I slowly began reintroducing calories with no issues along the way. I told her this information, I've been UP to 1,500 for a while actually, the weight gain is relatively recent/unexplained.

how long have you been lifting?

because people see a lot of retention when they start lifting- water and the "poofy" feeling.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

There is some truth to this (I've seen research that suggests this) but not by hundreds of calories.

Also, this change is reversible, the studies in question were done on people who did regular ways of dieting - no mention of strength training to maintain LBM while cutting or to increase it (via bulking cycles after dieting)... so my advice to you would be to get in the gym and lift heavy weights. Maybe do a bulk cycle then a cut cycle. You should be able to get your lean body mass back, and if there's any adaptive thermogenesis going on a bulk cycle will take care of that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The general idea is that if someone drops weight unhealthily and loses a lot of LBM, their maintenance calories at the end will be lower than expected. This is versus someone who has always been the same weight, because they haven't lost all the muscle. It could made a decent difference, I don't know about several hundred calories though. Maybe in extreme cases of VLCD and associated metabolic slowdown? Just another reason to lose weight slowly and lift lots of weights.

Yes, that's true if there's muscle loss.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    For reference, I'm a 5'7" 133-136 (fluctuating) lb female, 21 years old.

My most recent scan said my body fat went up several percentage points and my muscle mass increased to pretty much nothing.

OP, unless you're actively losing muscle at the same time as you're gaining fat, it's pretty much impossible to have your body fat percentage go up several points while only gaining 3 pounds. In all likelihood, it's just measurement error -- calipers and body fat scales can be pretty unreliable. Here's what I mean (just making up percentages, btw, I have no idea where you actually are)...

If you're 133 pounds and, say, 20% body fat, you have 26.6 pounds of fat.

If you gain 3 pounds of fat, that would make you 136 pounds with 29.6 pounds of fat, or 21.7% fat.

Maybe I'm just picking on semantics, but that's not several percentage points, and it's not likely that you just gained 3 pounds of pure fat anyway.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this?

1500 calories - that's all you're eating? Are you weighing and measuring everything?

I agree with someone else who said, you are restoring your glycogen stores...I'm only 112 pounds and I retain 3-5 pounds of water on any given workout day that I lift - that's like 5% of my weight - it happens to the best of us.

I'd keep on doing what you're doing and don't obsess over the scale.

Edited: it takes a woman, under the best of circumstances and eating over maintenance, approximately 8-12 weeks to gain ONE pound of muscle. And that's under the best of circumstances. You're not eating over maintenance, so you're not going to gain muscle, but you might be able to drop more body fat (slowly) and get more "toned" (hate using that word).
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

1500 calories - that's all you're eating? Are you weighing and measuring everything?

I agree with someone else who said, you are restoring your glycogen stores...I'm only 112 pounds and I retain 3-5 pounds of water on any given workout day that I lift - that's like 5% of my weight - it happens to the best of us.

Edited: it takes a woman, under the best of circumstances and eating over maintenance, approximately 8-12 weeks to gain ONE pound of muscle. And that's under the best of circumstances. You're not eating over maintenance, so you're not going to gain muscle, but you might be able to drop more body fat (slowly) and get more "toned" (hate using that word).

^I like you. And I concur
  • rosesandsuch
    Options

Congrats! You know you're really into fitness when body dysmorphic sets in. Keep up the good work.

Rude and completely unhelpful.

I didn't think that was rude at all, and in fact it's very helpful. The point being, 3lbs isn't going to have all kinds of dramatic effects that you are describing, even if it were 3lbs of pure fat. Increased calories will increase your weight (more water retention, more food in digestive system) so that's to be expected. Read the link above guide about bulking, it's got pretty much everything in there. If you pick a path (ie: bulking) then you have to be prepared for the consequences (weight gain and fat gain). If you're not, you're going to have a bad time (and probably make zero progress).

The sarcasm in the statement was unessecary. I know 3lbs isn't really a big deal, all I said was I FELT bad. Additionally, the person had zero constructive feedback to offer unlike many other posters. When you have lost as much weight as I have it is difficult to get used to the idea that you actually have to gain again at some point.
  • rosesandsuch
    Options

More recently I began measuring again! It's helping!
  • rosesandsuch
    Options
    For reference, I'm a 5'7" 133-136 (fluctuating) lb female, 21 years old.

Been eating 1,530+ calories as opposed to my regular 13-1400, adjusted my macros to what my trainer specified, and I am pretty sure I am just getting fat. My body feels softer, my face looks fuller, my boobs got bigger (a sure sign!) and my clothes still fit but feel "off"... For the first time in at least a year!!

My most recent scan said my body fat went up several percentage points and my muscle mass increased to pretty much nothing. When I voiced my concerns my trainer said gaining body fat is inevitable with building muscle mass, and my problem was probably that I wasn't lifting heavy enough or moving quickly through the exercises, which makes sense.

My question is, is there a way I can limit how much more fat I'm gonna put on during this process? My weight has only gone up by 3 pounds but I feel so bloated and gross. I asked if I should have begun cutting more first but she insisted bulking is the best way to start for me since I am not overweight/overfat and will make cutting easier and faster for me.

Also, how can I push myself to move faster/work harder in the gym? I always start on a good note but I find myself getting distracted or slowing down by the end?? Any little motivational tips (besides the obvious "you won't put on as much bodyfat if you work hard!") would be super great .:sad:

UPDATE: I spoke to my trainer who stated she knows 1500 is not enough to put on muscle. (I figured as much)

She wants me to work on form and pushing myself before adding more calories to ensure I put muscle on properly!