How to get rid of sweet tooth

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
I have a huge sweet tooth and I'm beginning to wonder if I should just get rid of all the junk in the house and try and quit "cold turkey". I can't have "just one cookie" or "just a bite or two of cake" and be happy. I tend to keep going until I feel sick. I don't do this with other foods (meals, salty foods, etc)...just sweets. I want to stop. :(

Replies

• KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had to do this with processed wheat, rice, potato and processed corn. I have a 34 yr history of being unable to portion control them. They are my trigger foods. I finally just stopped eating them. I make my own wraps/crepes from chickpea flour, I make summer squash pizza crust. I eat bean and lentil chips. Quinoa instead of rice, Shirataki instead of pasta. Hominy and sweet potato instead of white potato. This has been the most successful decision I have made for my health. When I get blowback from people about my decision I remind them that we don't tell someone with COPD to portion control his cigarettes.
  • livvy22890
    livvy22890 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have an awful sweet tooth! I totally understand. Instead of going cold-turkey, I replaced my sugary snacks with healthier, sweet options: fruit leather, almonds dusted in dark chocolate, low-cal greek yogurt pops - you get the picture.

Sure, I was having a sweet fix but it wasn't ruining what I was trying to do. I found that I'm only super addicted to sugary snacks that are bad for me. When I'm eating something that isn't awful but still sweet I can remind myself why I'm having a chocolate covered pretzel instead of a bag of mini snickers and why I only want to have a few instead of all. Perhaps its the conscious choice that I'm making? I don't know.

Hopefully that helps!
  • dekadai
    dekadai Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have lots of fruit in my lunch bag. Every time I start craving processed sugar I eat some fruit. It's worked so far. Still indulging in the occasional ice cream though, but not as often.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    ......have the dentist pull it?
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do too! I went and got kroger fruit bars with no sugar added. I also got popcorn called "boom chicka pop" lightly sweetened. 37 calories per cup so not too shabby on the portion and it satisfies my craving. I have also eliminated all the trigger foods in my house. My hubby has some candy stashed, out of sight, out of mind.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Sorry, couldn't resist my knee-jerk response to your topic question! However, I do empathize with you. I marvel that ppl can be satisfied with one chocolate chip cookie, for instance. What has worked for me is to eliminate all sweets for awhile and then add a really good, high percentage chocolate (80-85%) so that I don't feel completely deprived. Once you have not had sugary foods for awhile, the 80% chocolate will taste sweet, but doesn't trigger the 'I need more' response.....at least for me.

I wish you well with finding the solution that works for you!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just one cookie or a couple bites of a cake definitely won't satisfy your sweet tooth. Why can't you work in a couple cookies or a piece of cake into your daily intake? I have a huge sweet tooth, but I always work some kind of sweets in my day. Some of my usual "healthy" sweets are greek yogurt, fiber one 90 cal cinnamon bar, cinnamon hazelnut protein cereal, fruit, dark chocolate. But I usually work in some kind of real sweets like cookies, cake, and ice cream. If not daily, at least multiple days during the week. I personally think moderation is key, this is a lifestyle change not a diet. I would not be a happy person if I deprived myself of sweets. So this way I'm happy and I'm still losing weight, win win.
  • WitchesGuildMaster
    Options
    "One cookie"? "One bite of cake"? GOOD GRIEF. If I want cookies I eat the whole bag in one sitting! And I don't even skimp on the milk either. And yes, I MAKE it fit.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I acknowledged that there are certain foods I only ate to stimulate the pleasure centers in my brain, and that they are foods with zero nutritional value. And then I forced myself to admit that I don't have a high enough calorie allotment to meet my daily nutritional needs when I eat those foods. Most important, I started categorizing foods as either making me less hungry after eating them or making me more hungry. And I got rid of the ones that make me more hungry. Because it ain't natural, ya'll! Food shouldn't make you hungry!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Overindulging in certain foods is one thing, eating until you are physically ill is another. You say this only happens with sweets and not other foods - have sweets always been a comfort food for you? Sometimes our emotional connections to certain foods can get in the way of our success with weight loss. If you find yourself turning to sweets for emotional eating - stress, sadness, boredom, etc - then the solution might be to work with someone who can help you change that behavior and figure out why you are eating to the point where you feel sick. No shame in figuring out why you're standing in front of the cupboard and working to change that so you can still enjoy your sweets without going overboard, lots of MFPers have been in that situation and been successful after getting the root causes under control.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hard candies do it for me, they last a long time so I feel like i'm getting a lot of sweets and they are low calorie. Sugar free hard candies are even lower calorie (3 at 35 calories and that would last me an entire day for sure) -- my favorites are butterscotch, life savers, and cinnamon discs.. but others are mints, tic tacs, or jolly ranchers.

another trick is jello with a small amount of cool whip, pretty tasty. Yogurt is a good one, as well as popsicles. I like weight watchers strawberry yogurt pops too!

I don't keep cake or cookies in the house, it makes it harder to get the stuff you crave -- if you have to drive to a store to get it you have more time to talk yourself out of eating it rather than if it was sitting in your kitchen a few feet away all day.

I know it's frowned upon, but sometimes a diet dr. pepper really keeps me from reaching for a cookie or ice cream. It doesn't make me crave more at all like some people claim it does. I don't drink it that often because the carbonation is almost too much for me since I stopped drinking it daily. lol
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Probably best to get rid of most of the sweet foods, leave 1 type in small size for sometimes snacking since it literally impossible to complete cut out sweet in the long term. I'm the type of eat a bit of everything that I have so it's bad to have so many sweet foods in the house.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am a fat-craver, not a sugar-craver. But I cannot even imagine eating enough of ANYTHING to feel overfull. I only know what it feels like to be COMFORTABLY full. If you don't know to quit eating when you reach that point then, yes definitely you need to quit eating sweets completely!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i have one too. as bad as you describe. i have almost beaten it by staying away. and replacing it with sweet raw vegetables like pod peas and bell peppers and cherry tomatoes (luckily i have always loved them) the longer i go without them the less i want them. but when i buy them... i have to admit i ate a pound of taffy last week because i made a mistake of buying more than i needed. . i think twice before buying large quantities of anything i would want to eat all at once. i can protion out a lot of things in individual bags... but not sweets.

i dont drink diet soda or eat diet candies...

i have occasional treats but i buy only one serving.

just say no.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    When mine got really bad one time I went cold turkey but only for 7 days (that was the plan) and I did a great job of sticking to that and then by the end of the 7 days I felt like I could control how much I ate and I could have even my favorite treat in the house and not just eat it because it was there and must be eaten. I may need to do this again sometime soon. lol
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I used to love sweets and sugar until 1 day in my teen years I broke out with acne, and I believed it was caused by the sugar.. So I tried eating less and less sugar, and eventually I got put off of it... These days the only sugars I eat are natural fruit sugars and Xylitol.. In the end, this decision was for the best because it allowed me to focus better in class (I have ADD) and I rarely find myself craving sugar, and I also hardly ever have 'sugar crashes' simply because i don't eat it often.
  • illbeing
    illbeing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there, I'm still trying to deal with my terrible sweet tooth. But it does get easier!
    I used to drink about 5 cups of tea a day, each with two teaspoons of sugar in it, I always hated the taste of artificial sweeteners but I shopped around and eventually found one that actually tastes nice in my tea (Canderel sweetener tablets) I made the switch and that's one sweet problem solved. I'm no longer drinking 10 teaspoons of sugar in a day.
    I think the key is to find your biggest sugar problem areas and address them one at a time, try to replace each thing with something that can satisfy the sweet tooth to some extent.
    `
    Drinking things that taste sweet with no sugar is the best thing I can recommend. Every time I had a sweet craving I drank a can of Pepsi Max, it has no sugar in it and yet it tastes really sweet (how do they do that?) it helps so much.
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough carbs with your meals? Sometimes I find if I eat less carbs at lunch or dinner it makes me crave sweet food more afterwards.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on an apple and log it in my diary.