Pushy Spelling/Grammar People

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Shiz dawg nomsayin yall just don't no what u be tockin bout. when peepz be ritin it rong u gotzta tell dey azz fo dey be thinkin dey no what demz sayin foo and daz fo real yo.

Ok, that totally made my head hurt. I read it 4 times at least.
    Translation please?
    I didn't understand the last part.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    Shiz dawg nomsayin yall just don't no what u be tockin bout. when peepz be ritin it rong u gotzta tell dey azz fo dey be thinkin dey no what demz sayin foo and daz fo real yo.

Translation please?

Shoot, dog (friend), know what I'm saying, you all just don't know what you're talking about. When people are writing it wrong, you've got to tell their tushes that they're thinking that they know what they're saying, fool. And that's for real.

Never said it made sense, but there's your translation as near as I can determine. I'm gonna go take about 12 ibuprofen now.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxoxmDpACzOG0gRWv_lZX4lN_SYMbFOoOOgXEu1sprUW_2m8jK
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've corrected people a couple of times in forums, but not often. The whole lose vs. loose thing that seems to be rampant on MFP really bugs me. If I was making such an error, I'd want to know about it so I don't continue to look like an idiot. If I'm reading a post and it's REALLY bad, I just move on. There's no point in trying to correct it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting people to know simple spelling and grammar. We're all adults - there's no reason to not know the difference between there, their, and they're unless you have a learning disability or English isn't your first language. This is elementary school stuff.

I think it's amazing how the educational system has failed so many people.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just annoys me when people have to post a rant about how it is "lose" not "loose". You normally see a few of those posts a day. Okay, we get it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxoxmDpACzOG0gRWv_lZX4lN_SYMbFOoOOgXEu1sprUW_2m8jK

YES! Ha, I did this the other day when someone on a different site typed the word "gerundal." I knew that was wrong, but I had to Google it to make sure I was right about it being "gerundial" before I corrected it. Their response was, "you know, I never thought that extra 'i' added anything to that word." See? Some people are good sports about being corrected. I wasn't a b*tch about it, so there's no reason to get defensive. To be honest, I wouldn't expect anyone on MFP to ever use such a word.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

I do not often correct anyone's grammar, but as a veteran English teacher, I admire fine writing and am greatly affected by poor use of language. I can't help but associate it with either a poor education or lazy thinking. I am not a freak.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If I can understand and make out what you're trying to say, I don't correct it. That's just the way of the internet.

If I am reviewing an official document or letter for work though, you bet I'm going to correct dangling modifiers, run-on sentences, general wordiness, and comma splices. I find it funny that a lot of the folks I work with (Ph.D.s mostly) ask me to review something and I come back to them with a document covered in red pen marks. If you want me to boost your ego and tell you your writing is beyond genius, then don't bring it to me. :grumble:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Strictly my opinion:
    For an increasingly large portion of society, the internet and texting are the primary methods of receiving and giving written information. If we choose simply to accept* that folks aren't to spell correctly, punctuate clearly, or use correct grammar within these media, we're indicating that spelling, punctuation, and grammar are not important enough to consider, to preserve, or to teach.

*'To simply accept' would be an example of a split infinitive; I mention it here because folks in this thread indicated they were not clear on the subject, and I thought they might want the information.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Dis thred dun bather me at all.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The only thing that REALLY bothers me is when people do not know the difference between your and you're. Or if they are too lazy to add an apostrophe and an 'e'. It drives me CRAZY.
  • hookilau
    Options

Translation please?

Shoot, dog (friend), know what I'm saying, you all just don't know what you're talking about. When people are writing it wrong, you've got to tell their tushes that they're thinking that they know what they're saying, fool. And that's for real.

Never said it made sense, but there's your translation as near as I can determine. I'm gonna go take about 12 ibuprofen now.

:laugh:
  • hookilau
    Options
    Not being able to get the idea out of my head, I just realized why blatant spelling & grammatical errors irritate me so.

When I was 6 yrs old, back in the '70's, they taught us to read phonetically. My mom, having been brought up in another country could not understand why I kept misspelling words.

My mom used to help me with my homework. It made her very upset to see such deplorable spelling & I recall having to write words multiple times, to drill into my little peanut head that I was waaay off base.

This meant that when I went to school with my homework, the teacher kept marking my spelling wrong as she was looking for the phonetic spelling.

This could only mean that I was willfully obtuse. Ahh, the joys of an immigrant childhood being between the devil & the deep blue sea.

I took me forever convince my mom that it was just the way they were teaching us to read & that proper spelling would come later. I even showed her the title of the page 'Phonetics'....let's just say it went bad quickly & we never discussed it again :huh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

I do not often correct anyone's grammar, but as a veteran English teacher, I admire fine writing and am greatly affected by poor use of language. I can't help but associate it with either a poor education or lazy thinking. I am not a freak.

You may have misunderstood my post (unclear due to lack of tone in the written word). I'm not referring to anyone as a freak. I appreciate good writing as much as the next gender unspecified individual. I also find it difficult to not make certain assumptions about someone's education and overall intelligence based on their writing.

I'm really talking about the people who self-identify as 'grammar freaks' or 'grammar Nazis' or some other term for being enthusiastic about grammar. In my experience they have a cursory understanding of a few basic rules of the English language, and demonstrate this whenever possible in order to elevate themselves. One would expect someone truly passionate about grammar to also apply some of the more advanced rules.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I don't usually bother to correct a person when their grammar or spelling is less than stellar. I do make quiet judgement on them, though.

I think it's a shame our literary skills have diminished with the introduction of Texting, Instagrams and such.

It's so much more clever to pepper our conversations with OMG's, LOL's, DILLIGAF's and "I can't even", instead of speaking and/or writing with correct grammar in mind.
  • magic8ballkr
    Options
    I've only ever corrected incorrect spelling or grammar with close friends, and even then I tend to do it when there's a bit of banter going on.

Saying that, it really bugs me. I have friends to whom English is a second language and they can write it better than most people I know who speak English as a first language, and if I'm honest I don't think it's excusable. Unfortunately, I'm on of those people who will make a judgement on a person because of it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I don't usually bother to correct a person when their grammar or spelling is less than stellar. I do make quiet judgement on them, though.

I think it's a shame our literary skills have diminished with the introduction of Texting, Instagrams and such.

It's so much more clever to pepper our conversations with OMG's, LOL's, DILLIGAF's and "I can't even", instead of speaking and/or writing with correct grammar in mind.

I think there is a balance to be struck. Language is an evolving construct by it's nature. Changes to language that make it more expressive and/or accessible are generally positive. I do hope, however, that today's acronym culture becomes an offshoot of language, constrained to brief electronic communication, rather than being incorporated wholesale. I think the first time I read book where a character is described as 'LOLing', I will throw it against a wall, stamp on it, feed it through an industrial shredder and then set fire to the remains.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    nm
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't correct people. I make mistakes myself. Usually because I'm rushed or distracted. However, there are at least three grammar issues that make me cringe: then/than, could OF, and the lack of periods within a paragraph. The interchanging of 'then' and 'than' changes the meaning of the sentence. The use of 'could of' is just wrong and doesn't make sense. It's 'could have' or the contraction 'could've'. The lack of periods makes the whole written work very difficult to understand.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    and i thought it was funny when I received a computer error yesterday that told me I would "loose some other version". There was an error in my error. hehe.

I mentally correct stuff but some of it I attribute to bad typing. As for judging, it depends on how the overall post cost across as to whether I think the person is on the barely literate side/low intelligence or just made a mistake.