Pushy Spelling/Grammar People

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My grandfather was a Typesetter for a newspaper back in th 40's, 50's and 60's. The Daily Breeze. He was the one that set the standard for me.

I can overlook it when a person makes a grammatical error or a mispelling, but, when it is Newsprint or an Advertisement, I think it's ridiculous. Someone is not doing their job.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    This thread is "rediculous".

Also.. I want to stab people who type "rediculous".
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Poor grammar or spelling often makes me twitch, but I rarely point it out.

Sometimes I do point it out... particularly when:

The writer is being judgmental, rude, disrespectful - or otherwise an *kitten*
    The writer's words are such that their misuse caused me to laugh, or find their statement incredibly ironic

Usually, though, I twitch a bit and then let it go.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how the only image you have with which to present yourself online is through a bunch of words, it behooves you to display the education you got in third grade, by spelling and arranging those words in an intelligent and proper manner. It is my knee jerk reaction to assume someone who cannot spell "lose" or "loose" correctly is a dumb@ss. I can overlook a typo or two, but when it's consistent, I lose all patience with you entirely, and yes, I will set you straight if it's bad enough. If I have to suffer through your trainwreck of a post, you must suffer my corrections.

46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

edited for an ironic typo, lol
  • serenityseeking71
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

You have hit the nail on the head. :-)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't correct people. I make mistakes myself. Usually because I'm rushed or distracted. However, there are at least three grammar issues that make me cringe: then/than, could OF, and the lack of periods within a paragraph. The interchanging of 'then' and 'than' changes the meaning of the sentence. The use of 'could of' is just wrong and doesn't make sense. It's 'could have' or the contraction 'could've'. The lack of periods makes the whole written work very difficult to understand.

Oh, Lawd YES, "could of" makes me crazy. *twitch*.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I create a lots of typo's and grammer erors in the forums. I do it on purpise so other's can feel a cense of purpose and fulfilment.

Its my mision. I have always liked helping other's, especially those who feel a void in they're life.

Jus one ole mans opinion.................

FIFY :laugh:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't usually bother to correct a person when their grammar or spelling is less than stellar. I do make quiet judgement on them, though.

I think it's a shame our literary skills have diminished with the introduction of Texting, Instagrams and such.

It's so much more clever to pepper our conversations with OMG's, LOL's, DILLIGAF's and "I can't even", instead of speaking and/or writing with correct grammar in mind.

It is a shame. Our language is beautiful and it's in the process of being decimated. It's incredibly frustrating to watch. Maybe that's why someones inner "grammar police" strikes?

The way I see it, how a person chooses to communicate shows others what that person thinks, not only about themselves but about their audience. If someone chooses to communicate in a sub-par, lazy manner then they shouldn't be surprised that others may respond negatively to it. It can be seen as insulting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does it tick you off when someone corrects your spelling and or structure in an online forum? Or, do you EVER see it as helpful? What do you think motivates a "grammar Nazi"?
    I don't even get the urge when the entire post is barely English. But, occasionally, an otherwise intelligent and well-stated post makes me wonder if the writer would like to have the error pointed out. I know I would.
    I'm a professional grammar Nazi, but I rarely correct people online unless there's a very good reason or they anger me.

However, I have a lot of grammar Nazi friends and it isn't unusual for one of us to make a typo and we always call each other out, but that's just joking around.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I try not to do it online. As an English teacher, I deal with enough of that crap on a daily basis. For that matter, no one really gives a s**t online, so it is pointless to even try. However, I think that people should be thankful when someone corrects their spelling and/or grammar. Hopefully, they won't make the same mistake again. Why wouldn't someone want to appear intelligent in written communication?
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't be a sad banana, OP!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am an editor. I'm trained to notice errors.

I think there is a difference between a typo and a true error. (One comes from being sloppy. The other comes from a lack of knowledge.)

But when I'm off the clock, I would never consider correcting someone. Even on the clock, I'm considerate about how I offer feedback. I find the aggressive attempts at humiliation I see online to be far more offensive than typos or errors.

For the record, I can't deal with the abbreviations in texts, even when they're clever. To me, if someone is so busy that he or she has to abbreviate to the point of cavespeak, maybe it would be best to tell me about it later.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how the only image you have with which to present yourself online is through a bunch of words, it behooves you to display the education you got in third grade, by spelling and arranging those words in an intelligent and proper manner. It is my knee jerk reaction to assume someone who cannot spell "lose" or "loose" correctly is a dumb@ss. I can overlook a typo or two, but when it's consistent, I lose all patience with you entirely, and yes, I will set you straight if it's bad enough. If I have to suffer through your trainwreck of a post, you must suffer my corrections.

46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

edited for an ironic typo, lol

The guide description for a tv show I was watching the other day used "loose" when it should have used "lose." It irritated me to the nth degree.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If you are with a smelly person, do you tell them that they smell? On one hand you may hurt their feelings and that's not ideal. On the other hand, they may not even know they smell and so by telling them you will actually improve their life because they will take not and remedy the problem. That odorous stench may have been hindering their romantic life and possibly even professional life, since everyone avoids the smelly individual. Do you choose to be passive and polite or risk being rude with the chance of being helpful?

I once told a very nice lady that she smelled because she kept getting fired from her jobs because her bosses told her she had BO. She didn't believe she actually smelled because she bathed daily and she said she thought she was being bullied.

I told her the truth which was she didn't smell like BO, she smelled like cat pee. She used to leave her clean clothes lying around and her cat would pee on them when she wasn't looking. She didn't notice when she was dressing because her whole apartment smelled like cat pee anyway because the cat just peed all over the place with wild abandon. All she had to do was hang her clothes in the closet so her cat couldn't get to them but she never did. Then she lost another job. I wish I hadn't said anything since it didn't do any good anyway.

:noway: :laugh: :blushing:
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hate punctuation with a passion....far too many rules!!!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is most self confessed grammar freaks are really just freaks about a few basic rules.

I rarely see people correcting split infinitives or hanging prepositions, or other more advanced/controversial rules. I rarely see someone point out an incorrectly used semicolon.

I conclude that they are not grammar freaks. Merely people who want to discredit an argument by criticizing grammar and/or get off on feeling superior to others.

I like to always split infinitives and hang my prepositions up.

I also don't consider these to be incorrect.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    yup I hate that

it's very hard
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My grandfather was a Typesetter for a newspaper back in th 40's, 50's and 60's. The Daily Breeze. He was the one that set the standard for me.

I can overlook it when a person makes a grammatical error or a mispelling, but, when it is Newsprint or an Advertisement, I think it's ridiculous. Someone is not doing their job.

I agree completely.

A text from a friend with errors like "much better then..." or "I need to stop at Aldi's" is annoying and seems careless.
    A professionally printed sign at the supermarket "Tomato's 1.69/lb" or "chipolte peppers" makes me feel disgusted. More than one person clearly did not do their job.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I like to always split infinitives and hang my prepositions up.

I also don't consider these to be incorrect.

And that's why I added 'controversial' - I knew someone would say this. :laugh:

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I shall not put" - in the words of (probably someone other than) Sir. Winston Churchill.

Even so, with all these alleged grammar enthusiasts on the internet, you'd expect at least some of them to fall into the anti- split infinitives and hanging preposition camps. Or at least have an opinion on the matter.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. Correct me when I'm wrong - I like to know, and it's better than looking like an illiterate knob.