Can a fat person do martial arts/self defense?

Options
Hi there.

I'm fat and 40 and have spent most of my life tree-hugging.
Recent years and life events have given me reason to learn self-defense.
I am adept with firearms, but I would like to learn how to defend myself without a weapon as well.

My adult son is involved in Tae Kwon Do. I went to one of his belt advancements and I noticed that everyone there was very fit.

What kind of response could I expect if I were to sign up for something similar?
Do I need to be physically fit *before* taking this type of class?

I don't want to join my son's TKD, but I don't know if there are other types of combat/defense programs out there.

I need some opinions here. Should I just concentrate on losing the fat first? Would these types of classes welcome a fat middle-aged person or would I end up being the class handicap?

I'm not very strong either. I mean physically. Mentally I can take on the world. So maybe I should start lifting weights before thinking about self defense?

I just don't know.....

Opinions, comments please :):flowerforyou:

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My self defense mechanism: Collapse to the ground. If they can drag me off, they can have me.

Seriously though, I would just check with the person heading up the program. Are you fit enough to make it through the class? I'm sure some of them are physically intense. I don't see any reason though (other than you being healthy enough) for them to turn you down.

Also, the answer is to always lift weights. :wink: It will only help you with martial arts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes

/thread
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    They say that Aikido is pretty indiscriminate regarding size and weight, not particularly cardio intense, more technique focused.

Good luck, I hear they cost a pretty penny.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My entire family is in tae kwon do. My husband, 5 year old daughter and I are yellow belts, my son is a green belt and my brother is an orange belt (WTF style).

We are not very fit, aside from my son. My husband and brother even less so.

The thing is, the more you participate and practice, the more fit you become.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You might want to also look into stuff like boxing/wrestling - but yes, I am sure there are a lot of martial arts you could get into. This is going to come off as cruel but it's really not mean that way, just to prove a point though, sumo wrestlers! So chin up and good luck!
  • delgoodwin
    delgoodwin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    of course you can, most MA are all about leverage. it will help you with your balance and because you are over weight it will be a great workout because even the easy moves and stance's will make you work. Find a school or teacher that is not looking to make you a fighting machine.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    In my Krav Maga classes, there are people of all levels of fitness. One of the toughest students is a middle-aged woman so overweight she doesn't do the jumping jacks or push-ups because of potential joint damage. And yet she kicks *kitten* and it would be a bad day for the attacker who picks her as a target.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    You don't have to be, they'll make you, don't worry. I do tkd, and one of my teachers is obese, very obese.
    I have been overweight very long but have always done this, for years. So, no, you really don't have to be superfit. No one there will judge you, everyone is pretty nice, they don't care about your weight. They are at their classes to do martial arts, not to look at other people and how physically fit they are. If you can't keep up, they'll notice and help you/slow down.
    You could try karate, or haikido (did i spell it right?). I think haikido uses things like sticks and stuff, so i guess you can learn to fend off knives?

If you want to lift weights, do so, if you don't want to, you don't need to. People that do tkd are fit because it's pretty intense.

They will welcome you with open arms! Why wouldn't they?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My uncle started TKD with his two 8 year old children. He started at 325lbs and is down to about 300 now. He doesn't really track his calories but tries to make healthy choices. He said it can be tough at times but he has kept his own and its amazing to watch him during the demonstrations. You can do it. You just may have to work harder than someone that is already fit.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I think there is a type of martial art that focuses more on using the other persons body and energy against them so you dont expend as much. I could be wrong though, the only martial art I know personally is drunken, pissed off redneck.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My father is an 8th degree black belt in Shotokan karate and Jiu-jitsu and he's owned a dojo since 1972. Overweight people are definitely welcome. Don't imagine for one minute that those "fit" people at your son's school were all fit when they walked in the door. Many of them probably became that way through months and years of dedication and training. I was very active in my dad's dojo in my mid- to late-20's and I was never so fit, strong and flexible as I was at that time. Of course, I was there every night after work Mon-Thurs and on Saturday mornings training hard for competition.

If you're truly interested in Taekwando as a means of getting fit, I say "Go for it!" We're much more motivated to exercise when we're doing something we really enjoy. Keep in mind that it's probably going to be hard at first but don't give up and it'll get both easier and more challenging as you progress.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think there is a type of martial art that focuses more on using the other persons body and energy against them so you dont expend as much. I could be wrong though, the only martial art I know personally is drunken, pissed off redneck.
    You're probably thinking of judo, aikido or jiu-jitsu. They all focus on throws, grappling and immobilization techniques.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I go to Kickboxing and there is people there that are all shapes and sizes. I have seen a few people when they started out and seeing them now - wow...they have done amazing!! The place I go to it is a very intense workout but they always tell you to go at your own pace...take breaks when needed and so on. When I first started it was very hard to keep up but I have been going for 5 months now and have to say I'm doing pretty good - much better than when I started. Just as long as you know your limit - don't push yourself too far and take water breaks when needed, you will get fit and lose weight with time. Kickboxing is also good for self defense.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You're probably thinking of judo, aikido or jiu-jitsu. They all focus on throws, grappling and immobilization techniques.

Me and the BF do aikido, and it's very effective! You don't need a lot of strength to do a joint lock. ;)

"I'm sorry, you're coming at me.. do you wish to go this way? Here, let me get out of your path. Oh would you look at that, you're on the floor with your arm twisted up and around, tsk tsk, how did that happen." ^_^
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been doing kick boxing when I was 50 heavier then I am now. You may have to work up to executing some of the moves but Sure you can do it!
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    I have been taking martial arts classes for four years. At my heaviest, I was 263 at 5'8". I am down to about 220 and will be testing for my black belt sometime in the next couple months. If you enjoy it and are motivated to practice, you can totally succeed. I LOVE it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Guessing you don't like watching old kung fu movies :tongue: The answer is yes. Good example:

Sammo Hung. He is trained in Kung Fu, Karate, and Hapkido
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    One of my instructors was considerably overweight.

He was also 10x faster than me and a senior in two separate arts. I doubt I'll ever be half the martial artist he was.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Can a fat person do martial arts/self defense?

c.gif
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Turtles do alright as ninjas. They're not skinny and they get pizza!!

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-17.jpg