Can a fat person do martial arts/self defense?

Options
2»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Anyone can become trained in self-defense.

To do it as more of an art form, taking it further than just self-defense, may depend on some factors related to fitness and body health (not weight). You may have to work your way up, and make sure you have good form. But, the same is true for most physical arts and sports.
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You should totally do it! I used to do TKD with my whole family, including my mother who at the time was in her mid 40's (and has always been heavier than me.) We did it so long that we became instructors at the school (: And we all got in great shape. Now I have been kind of overweight for as long as I can remember, but at the time I was doing TKD I was stronger and slimmer for sure.

It's a great exercise to choose and no, you don't have to be in shape before you start. It will strengthen you, be a great workout, build your confidence and you get to learn some really cool forms and self-defense moves. Go for it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can a fat person do martial arts/self defense?

c.gif

my fat guy can defend himself against both of your fat guys

1236337872_fat_guy_shooting_his_gun.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Recent years and life events have given me reason to learn self-defense.
    I am adept with firearms, but I would like to learn how to defend myself without a weapon as well.
    That sucks, and contrary to what the ne'er do wells would want everyone to believe, guns aren't the answer to all self defense issues.
    What kind of response could I expect if I were to sign up for something similar?
    Do I need to be physically fit *before* taking this type of class?
    Support. Or, find a place that is supportive. You should have some sort of base of fitness, but you can build that fitness too. Really though, you need to think about who you are and what you want.

Fitness, mobility, calmness, tai chi is stellar. For me, I'm a bit more direct and prefer a razed earth approach. I really like Krav Maga. For everything in life you want to be fit. For martial arts, you'll do better the more fit you are.
    I don't want to join my son's TKD, but I don't know if there are other types of combat/defense programs out there.
    Hundreds?
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, (my first) Kajukenbo, kung fu, tai chi, aikido, jeet kune do, krav maga, etc. etc. You'll want to do a little research after you figure out what you want. For me, I want the most efficient and destructive method available to stop someone from attacking me. Krav Maga is where I start for that. Boxing is another decent one, as would be muay thai. It all comes down to what you want. Personally, if someone wants to threaten me or my wife, I intend to change their life.
    I need some opinions here. Should I just concentrate on losing the fat first? Would these types of classes welcome a fat middle-aged person or would I end up being the class handicap?
    A decent school will accept you and help you become more than you are today.
    I'm not very strong either. I mean physically. Mentally I can take on the world. So maybe I should start lifting weights before thinking about self defense?
    DO weights and martial arts at the same time. The fitness will up as you continue on. Mental strength is what's important here.

Go for it, try a class or two out in a couple schools and see what calls to you. Hell, you might find kendo to be fun. I've been told that's considered a woman's sport in japan.... I think that's bonkers. ;)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Give it a try and see. Most martial arts studios will let you take a class for free to try it out.

I personally started kickboxing when I was about 225 or so. I love it. It is a tremendous workout. Just do what you can and the rest will come. :smile:
  • dbmata
    Options
    1236337872_fat_guy_shooting_his_gun.gif
    Homie is shooting a deagle, I can't imagine the recoil he's managing so easily. Last time I fired one of those it kicked like a horse.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Go for it, try a class or two out in a couple schools and see what calls to you. Hell, you might find kendo to be fun. I've been told that's considered a woman's sport in japan.... I think that's bonkers. ;)

Kendo isn't considered a women's sport in Japan. It's just one of the few that men and women can train together and it's actually still considered a male dominated sport.
  • dbmata
    Options

Kendo isn't considered a women's sport in Japan. It's just one of the few that men and women can train together and it's actually still considered a male dominated sport.

Well, there you go, just means don't believe a dude because his name is Toshi, he's dressed in a diaper, and he's angling for your takoyaki. Hahaha.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Dude, you can do whatever you want. If your body isn't ready, if you aren't limber enough or have the energy endurance enough yet, then work up to it. No need to let your size limit you. Martial arts, dancing, anything that you enjoy enough to motivate you to move is worth doing.

MvhmIy4.png
  • SoftLikePudding
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have any advice to give. I just wanted to say how great it is to see so many truly helpful and supportive people commenting here. I just found this site by accident, but joined up after reading the comments. I'm a big guy and need to loose a lot of weight. Who knows, maybe this will help me get started. Anyway, didn't mean to highjack the thread, just wanted to tip my hat to all you cool people. Thanks!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You could defo do it. Prior to my kids I was a 1st dan black belt in both karate and kickboxing despite being 3 stone over the top end of my BMI. I let it go by the by after the kids and never got back into it because of dodgy knees. A good instructor will push you to achieve your best without damaging you. And you will possibly get a little addicted too. Best of luck on your journey
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Guessing you don't like watching old kung fu movies :tongue: The answer is yes. Good example:

Sammo Hung. He is trained in Kung Fu, Karate, and Hapkido

I was going to say the same - he is very nimble!!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I took tang soo do and kajukenbo for 11 years. Second Dan black belt. I was also always big. It wasn't a problem until I ruptured a disc in my back and found out I had degenerative disc disease... >_<

once I lose more of the weight I gained after surgery im going to take up martial arts again. Although I think its a good idea to get the go ahead from both a Dr and the head of whichever dojo you choose.