Because Fat-Shaming is Sooo Cool

Options

Replies

• zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

Strong this. To varying degrees, we're all here partly in an attempt to either stop being, trying to be less, or keeping from being fat. It's MyFitnessPal, not MyFatnessPal.

people need acceptance regardless of weight. being fat is hardly just physical. the fat acceptance movement is all about separating the connection between self worth and your appearance. it is not a group of lazy fat people praising bad health i mean come on
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't think the gay comparison is accurate, being gay isn't a medical condition. Why should I care? I live in the third fattest country in the world 2/3s of the population are overweight or obese. We also have a public health system, this level of obesity puts a unnecessary strain on the medical system and it is only going to get worse as the population ages. It is a situation that is similar to smoking. They are both lifestyle issues that can be addressed not only to limit the costs to taxpayers but also to IMPROVE the quality or peoples' lives. I have had friends in their 40s die of heart attacks that were directly attributed to obesity. I have friends that are walking time bombs that I would love to help but I can't do anything for until they want to help themselves. That is why I care. So a big **** you to all those that are making this a "beauty" issue or saying I am "elitist" or "judgemental" because frankly that is just insulting.
  • shmerek
    Options

people need acceptance regardless of weight. being fat is hardly just physical. the fat acceptance movement is all about separating the connection between self worth and your appearance. it is not a group of lazy fat people praising bad health i mean come on
    Seriously do some googling there are tons of groups/people/propoganda fooling themselves into thinking that it is just that: a healthy lifestyle
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

Strong this. To varying degrees, we're all here partly in an attempt to either stop being, trying to be less, or keeping from being fat. It's MyFitnessPal, not MyFatnessPal.

Ding ding ding! Yay for people that understand this movement. :) Smart girl.

To you sir, it is you who needs to google the movement because YOU DON'T GET IT. If you think it's about promoting unhealthy behaviors you are a hopeless fool. Enjoy the view from up there though! Personally I admire people who are committed to a healthy lifestyle, I know it can be challenging because I am one of those people, although YOU'D never know it looking at me since I don't fit into your little health box. Good on you for encouraging your friends, maybe more of that and less of the whole Judge Judy of the internet thing.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Trust me I have googled it there is more than one side to it but thanks for all the judgement. Oh the irony.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Seriously do some googling there are tons of groups/people/propoganda fooling themselves into thinking that it is just that: a healthy lifestyle

You're right, there is too much justification in sectors of the movement. But a lot of that is also backlash against the discrimination leveled against people who are overweight.

I argue that we are, unfortunately, not independent of our culture, much as we would like to think we are. When our culture doesn't value us, we don't value ourselves properly, either. And people who don't properly value themselves are highly unlikely to look after their longterm health.

Accepting someone at a high weight and being indifferent to the risks are two different things.
  • shmerek
    Options

You're right, there is too much justification in sectors of the movement. But a lot of that is also backlash against the discrimination leveled against people who are overweight.

I argue that we are, unfortunately, not independent of our culture, much as we would like to think we are. When our culture doesn't value us, we don't value ourselves properly, either. And people who don't properly value themselves are highly unlikely to look after their longterm health.

Accepting someone at a high weight and being indifferent to the risks are two different things.
    Thank you I am glad someone is listening.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Thank you I am glad someone is listening.

I think you're reasonable and sincere. Unfortunately, for every person like you with legitimate concerns and who actually does care, there are far too many bullies screaming 'Fat cow!' out the car window when some poor obese person tries to go for a walk.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    She was harsh, and certainly not PC, but she was dead on.

As obesity becomes an ever growing problem across the world, it's also becoming far more normalized. Stigmas about being fat are falling for the sheer fact that so many of us just are. Gone are the days, not that long ago actually, where the fat kid at school was the rare exception. More and more of us are seeing reflected back at us overweight images in our friends, neighbors, families, and co-workers.

Normalizing obesity is dangerous. It is a far more epidemic problem than the relatively minute amount of people dealing with a restrictive eating disorder. We pearl twist over the less than 2% of the population dealing with EDs like anorexia, while remaining largely unphased by the overconsumption disorders and resulting fatness.

I think the trend toward fatness, and the increasing fight to accept that state, is simply going to lead to bodies that grow larger and larger, but with the stigmas removed and an expectation of silence all around. I think it'll become just as un-PC to say anything publicly disparaging about fat as it is to say something about a person's sexuality or race.

Difference being, of course, that the results of increasing obesity are detrimental to anything from health, workout put, physically capable military, and our overall healthcare expenditures worldwide.

This is an epidemic problem destined to only get worse in the name of spared feelings and PC silence.

wait so fatties not having their bodies stigmatized & ridiculed in society anymore bothers you? damn you better start harassing them fatties even more do the world a favor you know?

Oh sit down. Not only are you annoyingly presumptive, you're talking to someone who grew up obese, to detrimental psychological effect, and whose high adult weight was 320lbs.

Try asking someone to clarify their point next time before making a loud, ignorant *kitten* out of yourself.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't think the gay comparison is accurate, being gay isn't a medical condition. Why should I care? I live in the third fattest country in the world 2/3s of the population are overweight or obese. We also have a public health system, this level of obesity puts a unnecessary strain on the medical system and it is only going to get worse as the population ages. It is a situation that is similar to smoking. They are both lifestyle issues that can be addressed not only to limit the costs to taxpayers but also to IMPROVE the quality or peoples' lives. I have had friends in their 40s die of heart attacks that were directly attributed to obesity. I have friends that are walking time bombs that I would love to help but I can't do anything for until they want to help themselves. That is why I care. So a big **** you to all those that are making this a "beauty" issue or saying I am "elitist" or "judgemental" because frankly that is just insulting.

you would make a good point if fat acceptance was all about accepting an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm sure there are some people who use the movement as an excuse to stay unhealthy. but let me reiterate- it has nothing to do with the physical health factor and everything to do with the mental.

and as far as the gay comparison- you can choose to be fat and happy just like how you can choose to be gay and happy. fat and gay are two words that are still a little touchy in society today. it has nothing to do with a medical condition because fat acceptance isn't based on physical health. and when it comes to being fat or gay, the same rules apply- if it doesn't affect your life, and the person is happy, why should you care? taxes? are they really that high strictly because of the amount of fat people who accept who they are?

I understand your concerns, but telling overweight people NOT to accept themselves if they are unhealthy will probably not solve the problem. as someone mentioned earlier, if a person decides to drink, smoke, do drugs, eat bad food- its up to them. their health is their business and they have a choice to live a healthy life or an unhealthy one. being unhealthy does not mean you are unworthy of acceptance.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    See my edit i decided to explain a bit better. It makes sense because dead is dead is dead. If we take the view that our own personal health and safety is paramount to everything we end up living cowardly, shallow lives no matter how healthy we are. Some people just love food too much to care about some detriment to their health. Like I said there are limits but there's no need to ostracize people for having some extra weight. And i'm sorry if you have been healthy all your life then you really really don't understand a damn thing about how bad it is. People look at you like a second class person. No not even that. Like an animal. It is discrimination of the worst possible kind. And nothing excuses it. Not the health consequences of being fat. Not the benefits of being thin. Not beauty not nothing. It turned me inward and disgusted me with humanity for 15 damn years. I might never have regained my faith.

No one is fooling themselves. We all understand it is healthier to be thin. We are not completely stupid. However just because it is unhealthy does not mean it is unacceptable. Or worthy of ridicule. You reveal yourself to be quite the elitist.

Fat shaming is wrong and if you do it you are a bigot. End of discussion.

Because truth be told all fat shaming does is drive people further away from health further away from caring what they look like to others.

It's not naughty or a matter of opinion. It's vile.
    The only reason I am thin is because I work at it A LOT. Sorry but the picture of a dude's chest really didn't make anything more clear. I never said that we should be shaming people but I don't think that people that are obese should be fooling themselves into thinking it is healthy because it is not and they shouldn't be trying to bend society into thinking it is healthy. My point is people should take personal responsibility for their health and not blame others. There is nothing "cowardly" about saying it is a health issue because it is and a serious one in today's society.

No one ever said it was healthy. At the very least not me. Only acceptable. And unworthy of ridicule. You really are quite the elitist it appears. You seem quite unable to grasp the difference between imperfect and unacceptable.
    What makes you think I am elitist? That I think obesity is a medical issue which it is? What is the chip on your shoulder buddy?

The chip on my shoulder is that you claim to be supportive one instant and then are defending what this clearly biased and humiliating woman says. Honestly It sounds like you are just trying to defend your own biases to me. It's true that nothing you have said has blatantly painted you as a fat hater but this woman clearly is. And you defend her. If you are just trying to advocate people to lead healthier life styles then fine. But please spare me trying to say that's what you are after you defend a harpy like this.

If I truly thought being fat was totally ok and not bad for my health AT ALL why would I have lost 6 damn stone think about it mate. I just think that the way this woman goes about trying to "encourage" people to lose weight is disgusting, discriminatory bigoted and wrong. And that kind of treatment of fat people will only worsen the problem not improve it. It is that kind of treatment that gives rise to the people you speak of that discriminate against skinny people. The reason these groups are forming now is that society has rejected SO MANY PEOPLE that it's enough to form a subculture of their own. And believe me I understand their feelings. I was treated so badly because of my weight that many times when i was stuffing myself with food it was like my own little rebellion. A *kitten* you at all the skinny *kitten* that had treated me like dog ****. I was like hah i'm enjoying food like you just can't what you gonna do about it pipsqueak? inside. All the while hating myself.

My problem is that every time someone tries to champion against the discrimination that fat people receive there is always someone like you who thinks that these skinny hating fat praising groups are the cause of the problem. They are not a cause they are a symptom of acute body image discrimination. And if you want to treat a disease masking the symptoms is ok for a while. But if you really want solutions ... you aim for the cause. These people need to feel they are accepted by society. Once they feel that they will want to better themselves. And it is ok to promote being healthy. In fact it's great! but the fact that being fat is irrelevant to your status as a respectable human being has to be a baseline. Otherwise people feel left out in the cold. And form their own cliques like this to share their misery.

But for those who find acceptance. Like I did because of some great people. who encouraged me to lose weight and get in shape. Success will be their story. BUT I had to be accepted first. Because no matter how hard i tried I simply could not summon the will before in my heart of hearts I felt that being accepted was worth it. Because when I was fat I saw the very very worst of people. And frankly being a fat tub of self indulgent lard at least felt a step up from that. At least the food made me happy. I hated 99% of people. Loathed them with a passion. Where you see caring I saw only enlightened self interest. Where you see achievement I saw only desperate clawing need not to fall behind and become "vermin" like me. To be spurned by everyone is to have everything turn to ash. Including your self esteem. Oh of course I would lie to myself. I'm fine how I am. I don't care what everyone else thinks of me. But of course I cared everyone does.

And now there are so many people in such a corner like me that they form whole movements and band together just so that they don't have to feel alone and unwanted anymore.

I really honestly can't believe you don't see a problem with that. Since from what you say it sounds like you have helped a lot of people and that makes you a damn good human being. But if that's the case then you need to realize that even if what this woman says hits on a few true points the way she does it totally overrides any benefit that might occur and that defending her is beneath you.

Because even if someone is shamed so badly. Ridiculed so severely that they get in shape, lose weight. etc. If they come back to their health via THAT route they will become empty narcissistic souls who believe that how their body looks is ALL that matters. Because that's what people taught them. A healthy body with empty eyes and a dead soul. And frankly there's enough of those around too.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    She was harsh, and certainly not PC, but she was dead on.

As obesity becomes an ever growing problem across the world, it's also becoming far more normalized. Stigmas about being fat are falling for the sheer fact that so many of us just are. Gone are the days, not that long ago actually, where the fat kid at school was the rare exception. More and more of us are seeing reflected back at us overweight images in our friends, neighbors, families, and co-workers.

Normalizing obesity is dangerous. It is a far more epidemic problem than the relatively minute amount of people dealing with a restrictive eating disorder. We pearl twist over the less than 2% of the population dealing with EDs like anorexia, while remaining largely unphased by the overconsumption disorders and resulting fatness.

I think the trend toward fatness, and the increasing fight to accept that state, is simply going to lead to bodies that grow larger and larger, but with the stigmas removed and an expectation of silence all around. I think it'll become just as un-PC to say anything publicly disparaging about fat as it is to say something about a person's sexuality or race.

Difference being, of course, that the results of increasing obesity are detrimental to anything from health, workout put, physically capable military, and our overall healthcare expenditures worldwide.

This is an epidemic problem destined to only get worse in the name of spared feelings and PC silence.

wait so fatties not having their bodies stigmatized & ridiculed in society anymore bothers you? damn you better start harassing them fatties even more do the world a favor you know?

Oh sit down. Not only are you annoyingly presumptive, you're talking to someone who grew up obese, to detrimental psychological effect, and whose high adult weight was 320lbs.

Try asking someone to clarify their point next time before making a loud, ignorant *kitten* out of yourself.

and you are speaking to someone who was 335 pounds

im always a loud beautiful *kitten* to be honest

and what you said is still disgusting
  • shmerek
    Options

you would make a good point if fat acceptance was all about accepting an unhealthy lifestyle. I'm sure there are some people who use the movement as an excuse to stay unhealthy. but let me reiterate- it has nothing to do with the physical health factor and everything to do with the mental.

and as far as the gay comparison- you can choose to be fat and happy just like how you can choose to be gay and happy. fat and gay are two words that are still a little touchy in society today. it has nothing to do with a medical condition because fat acceptance isn't based on physical health. and when it comes to being fat or gay, the same rules apply- if it doesn't affect your life, and the person is happy, why should you care? taxes? are they really that high strictly because of the amount of fat people who accept who they are?

I understand your concerns, but telling overweight people NOT to accept themselves if they are unhealthy will probably not solve the problem. as someone mentioned earlier, if a person decides to drink, smoke, do drugs, eat bad food- its up to them. their health is their business and they have a choice to live a healthy life or an unhealthy one. being unhealthy does not mean you are unworthy of acceptance.
    Have I mentioned once not accepting people? Gay people are born gay they can never change that fact. As I have stated a million times before I am talking about the health issue not the appearance issue. I am not telling people not to accept themselves personally I am saying that there is a serious health component to this which cannot be ignored. Putting ones' head in the sand and ignoring the health side of things doesn't help anyone.
  • shmerek
    Options
    See my edit i decided to explain a bit better. It makes sense because dead is dead is dead. If we take the view that our own personal health and safety is paramount to everything we end up living cowardly, shallow lives no matter how healthy we are. Some people just love food too much to care about some detriment to their health. Like I said there are limits but there's no need to ostracize people for having some extra weight. And i'm sorry if you have been healthy all your life then you really really don't understand a damn thing about how bad it is. People look at you like a second class person. No not even that. Like an animal. It is discrimination of the worst possible kind. And nothing excuses it. Not the health consequences of being fat. Not the benefits of being thin. Not beauty not nothing. It turned me inward and disgusted me with humanity for 15 damn years. I might never have regained my faith.

No one is fooling themselves. We all understand it is healthier to be thin. We are not completely stupid. However just because it is unhealthy does not mean it is unacceptable. Or worthy of ridicule. You reveal yourself to be quite the elitist.

Because truth be told all fat shaming does is drive people further away from health further away from caring what they look like to others.

The only reason I am thin is because I work at it A LOT. Sorry but the picture of a dude's chest really didn't make anything more clear. I never said that we should be shaming people but I don't think that people that are obese should be fooling themselves into thinking it is healthy because it is not and they shouldn't be trying to bend society into thinking it is healthy. My point is people should take personal responsibility for their health and not blame others. There is nothing "cowardly" about saying it is a health issue because it is and a serious one in today's society.

No one ever said it was healthy. At the very least not me. Only acceptable. And unworthy of ridicule. You really are quite the elitist it appears. You seem quite unable to grasp the difference between imperfect and unacceptable.
    What makes you think I am elitist? That I think obesity is a medical issue which it is? What is the chip on your shoulder buddy?

The chip on my shoulder is that you claim to be supportive one instant and then are defending what this clearly biased and humiliating woman says. Honestly It sounds like you are just trying to defend your own biases to me. It's true that nothing you have said has blatantly painted you as a fat hater but this woman clearly is. And you defend her. If you are just trying to advocate people to lead healthier life styles then fine. But please spare me trying to say that's what you are after you defend a harpy like this.

If I truly thought being fat was totally ok and not bad for my health AT ALL why would I have lost 6 damn stone think about it mate. I just think that the way this woman goes about trying to "encourage" people to lose weight is disgusting, discriminatory bigoted and wrong. And that kind of treatment of fat people will only worsen the problem not improve it. It is that kind of treatment that gives rise to the people you speak of that discriminate against skinny people. The reason these groups are forming now is that society has rejected SO MANY PEOPLE that it's enough to form a subculture of their own. And believe me I understand their feelings. I was treated so badly because of my weight that many times when i was stuffing myself with food it was like my own little rebellion. A *kitten* you at all the skinny *kitten* that had treated me like dog ****. I was like hah i'm enjoying food like you just can't what you gonna do about it pipsqueak? inside. All the while hating myself.

My problem is that every time someone tries to champion against the discrimination that fat people receive there is always someone like you who thinks that these skinny hating fat praising groups are the cause of the problem. They are not a cause they are a symptom of acute body image discrimination. And if you want to treat a disease masking the symptoms is ok for a while. But if you really want solutions ... you aim for the cause. These people need to feel they are accepted by society. Once they feel that they will want to better themselves. And it is ok to promote being healthy. In fact it's great! but the fact that being fat is irrelevant to your status as a respectable human being has to be a baseline. Otherwise people feel left out in the cold. And form their own cliques like this to share their misery.

But for those who find acceptance. Like I did because of some great people. who encouraged me to lose weight and get in shape. Success will be their story. BUT I had to be accepted first. Because no matter how hard i tried I simply could not summon the will before in my heart of hearts I felt that being accepted was worth it. Because when I was fat I saw the very very worst of people. And frankly being a fat tub of self indulgent lard at least felt a step up from that. At least the food made me happy. I hated 99% of people. Loathed them with a passion. Where you see caring I saw only enlightened self interest. Where you see achievement I saw only desperate clawing need not to fall behind and become "vermin" like me. To be spurned by everyone is to have everything turn to ash. Including your self esteem. Oh of course I would lie to myself. I'm fine how I am. I don't care what everyone else thinks of me. But of course I cared everyone does.

And now there are so many people in such a corner like me that they form whole movements and band together just so that they don't have to feel alone and unwanted anymore.

I really honestly can't believe you don't see a problem with that. Since from what you say it sounds like you have helped a lot of people and that makes you a damn good human being. But if that's the case then you need to realize that even if what this woman says hits on a few true points the way she does it totally overrides any benefit that might occur and that defending her is beneath you.

Because even if someone is shamed so badly. Ridiculed so severely that they get in shape, lose weight. etc. If they come back to their health via THAT route they will become empty narcissistic souls who believe that how their body looks is ALL that matters. Because that's what people taught them. A healthy body with empty eyes and a dead soul. And frankly there's enough of those around too.
    Seriously dude did I say once I support fat shaming?? Did I say anything about supporting the author's viewpoint? All I have talked about are the health issues and why they concern me. I talk about personal responsibility as well and I think that for whatever reason it seems to be lacking in society on so many levels not just with food but with everything. People do dumb **** or get themselves into horrible situations and then lash out and blame other for it. Everytime I have found myself in a bad circumstance 90% of the time it is my doing. I'll kick myself for it but I am not going to blame anyone else.

You seem to be incredibly judgemental of people who lose weight or are thin. You make it sound like anyone who works out is just a narcissist or whatever. I am pretty sure you are judging me just as much by my profile pic as by my words. You won't seem to accept that fact that I am talking about health and not appearance. Do you even read any of my posts? I have explicitly stated how it affects me personally even if I am not fat.
  • RHachicho
    Options

Seriously dude did I say once I support fat shaming?? Did I say anything about supporting the author's viewpoint? All I have talked about are the health issues and why they concern me. I talk about personal responsibility as well and I think that for whatever reason it seems to be lacking in society on so many levels not just with food but with everything. People do dumb **** or get themselves into horrible situations and then lash out and blame other for it. Everytime I have found myself in a bad circumstance 90% of the time it is my doing. I'll kick myself for it but I am not going to blame anyone else.

You seem to be incredibly judgemental of people who lose weight or are thin. You make it sound like anyone who works out is just a narcissist or whatever. I am pretty sure you are judging me just as much by my profile pic as by my words. You won't seem to accept that fact that I am talking about health and not appearance. Do you even read any of my posts? I have explicitly stated how it affects me personally even if I am not fat.

Did you miss the bit where i said you where a damn good human being for helping people lol? Look ok this topic has gone on for 10 pages now and though I have attempted to read every single line I must admit I may have skimmed over some of it to get it done quickly. If you genuinely don't mean to defend this woman then fine. But that's what it sounded like to me. And to a few others as well by the looks of things. Since you have made ti clear that you don't support her then that's fine. But you do seem to be a bit confused as to your position. I can get that you don't want to encourage an unhealthy lifestyle. That is an admirable position by anyone's take. However when it comes to fat acceptance and fat shaming there really is no middle ground either you accept someone or you shame them. It sounds like you know the difference between encouragement and subtle ridicule. But that wasn't at first apparent in the way you make your points.

And as far as your profile pic goes well fuggin done dude, you look beast and should be proud of it. And yes I am totally jealous of it. But I don't hate you for it. Or think that it automatically makes you an elitist. However the posts that I read of you did give that impression. However subsequent posts after that made me revise my opinion of you. That's just how things go sometimes. Quite often we make wrong judgements of people because of what they say and we don't see the whole story. I would suggest you have probably done the same to me. After all. I work out a lot too you know. I do 3 1-1.5 hour lifting sessions a week about 4-5 hours of cardio and at least 8 hours of walking and now i'm starting c25k. I want to have a body like yours. My only point is that it wasn't ridicule that encouraged me to get my act together. It was support and genuine affection for people who I knew could see that beyond the rolls of fat I was a person worth saving.

I think we both have rather misunderstood each other. But I will never agree with anyone who thinks that this woman is right. Don't you think that it's a worthless thing for someone to be harassed and ridiculed into getting in shape only to become a vapid body image obsessed dolt? I think that it might even be part of the problem. Many (not all) of those who succeed have done so because they feel pressured by society to live up to a standard. And are so rewarded by the acceptance they receive as they lose weight that they come to believe that what their body looks like is all important. In turn they bully overweight people and yet more people are driven to either become health nazi's or pro fat. The way we think about bodies is driving people do these two extremes and I think it's wrong.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That article was horribly written, I know it’s a stereotype but I expect better from the British.
    I take it no one here is aware that "The Daily Mail" is affectionately nicknamed "The Daily Fail"?

Also know as the Daily Heil.
    Basically a conservative propoganda machine for people on the right and retired bankers.

I refuse to read the article on the basis it was written by these cretins.
  • jmcnally257
    Options
    I have seen this article and argued in it's defense recently.
    This article is NOT fat shaming.
    This article is about the new fad of telling MEDICALLY OBESE people that they are fine and they should be proud and love themselves and not do anything about it, for fear that they will get upset.
    It is a horrible way to go about it, and no one can say that it isn't harmful.
    I can't count how many times when I've been incredibly overweight, stating that I am going on a diet, just to be greeted with "Oh my god, what? You don't even need to lose weight you're fine the way you are"
    Equally, somewhat not related to the point, when you say you are going to start eating healthy, why does everyone around you take sick pleasure in convincing you to eat junk food or saying "Oh well one won't hurt" or "Treat yourself!"

We should not be promoting fat shaming, we should not be glamourising size 0.
    We should be promoting a culture of HEALTH, eating real food, exercising moderation and keeping active.
    This is the age of "Be proud of who you are" and Pro-fat celebrities trying to make young girls think they don't have to do anything about their problems.

Let's encourage eachother to be optimally healthy, and not be afraid to say "Look, I think you might have a problem" for fear they will start starving themselves.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That article was horribly written, I know it’s a stereotype but I expect better from the British.
    I take it no one here is aware that "The Daily Mail" is affectionately nicknamed "The Daily Fail"?

Also know as the Daily Heil.
    Basically a conservative propoganda machine for people on the right and retired bankers.

I refuse to read the article on the basis it was written by these cretins.

This. It's a horrible, fascist rag. It's just The Sun (spit!) with a more elaborate vocabulary. It could have been an interesting article if it chose not to go down the shock-jock route.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I am a health educator and I hate the use of the word "fat" applied to people because it automatically shames many of them, puts them on the defensive and makes them shut down. By the same token, the Medical professions cowardice lately about giving more than per-functionary mention to overweight and obesity in their patients is negligent.
  • RHachicho
    Options
    I have seen this article and argued in it's defense recently.
    This article is NOT fat shaming.
    This article is about the new fad of telling MEDICALLY OBESE people that they are fine and they should be proud and love themselves and not do anything about it, for fear that they will get upset.
    It is a horrible way to go about it, and no one can say that it isn't harmful.
    I can't count how many times when I've been incredibly overweight, stating that I am going on a diet, just to be greeted with "Oh my god, what? You don't even need to lose weight you're fine the way you are"
    Equally, somewhat not related to the point, when you say you are going to start eating healthy, why does everyone around you take sick pleasure in convincing you to eat junk food or saying "Oh well one won't hurt" or "Treat yourself!"

We should not be promoting fat shaming, we should not be glamourising size 0.
    We should be promoting a culture of HEALTH, eating real food, exercising moderation and keeping active.
    This is the age of "Be proud of who you are" and Pro-fat celebrities trying to make young girls think they don't have to do anything about their problems.

Let's encourage eachother to be optimally healthy, and not be afraid to say "Look, I think you might have a problem" for fear they will start starving themselves.

Did we really read the same article? The first third of it didn't even get into health it was just about how disgusting fat people are to look at. She all but said OMG look at all these fat disgusting sluts! in her first few paragraphs. I am sorry but I believe a healthy lifestyle is better too .. now. But it's people exactly like this that kept me far away from it for a long time. I thought well i might be fat, I might be unhealthy ... but lord knows im better than that.

Also no matter how fat someone is there is no NEED to lose weight. It's not the fuggin law to be skinny. And if it was we would be living in a fascist state. It's peoples CHOICE weather to be healthy or unhealthy. Fat or thin. We can encourage them one way or another but in the final analysis it is always their choice and some people are always going to choose in a way you don't like. I politely suggest you learn to live with other peoples choices. Because they really are none of your business. And if you think they should be degraded for them then I simply don't respect your opinion or you at all.

You are quite correct in that we need to educate people as to what is healthy and encourage them to live more healthy lives. But that is where it ends. And this article goes too damn far my a country mile. Don't you see that chronically obese people are looking for acceptance BECAUSE crap like this makes them feel sub human. I have to ask have you ever been severely overweight yourself?