Because Fat-Shaming is Sooo Cool

Options

Replies

• Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Nobody should be "shamed" for being fat. But, I do agree with her. Being fat is unhealthy and unattractive. This coming from me... 100+ pounds overweight.
    This! This is why we are here trying to change things.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3d11vHDb21qguwnz.gif
  • blatantlyo
    blatantlyo Posts: 30
    Options
    Being obese is unhealthy, and that is a proven fact. Her tone is very blunt, that is true. Fat acceptance and HAES is about appreciating your body, and loving yourself, WHILE being active and eating healthier meals. It's a healthy lifestyle where you're not concerned about your weight, just your health, which for some is a better option.

The reason everyone has an issue with these movements is because fat people are saying that PROVEN facts are not true. There are countless forums where overweight people claim to run marathons, and only eat 800 calories a day, and wonder why they are not losing weight. They also complain how they feel like everyone is staring at them, when in reality, no one really cares. People are not born fat. You are not big boned. You are a small skeleton surrounded by your excess weight. They say that they cannot change, which is not true. There was even a forum in the past where a fat person complained about being discriminated against by comparing herself to a black person, or a deaf person. You can't change the color of your skin. You can't choose your disabilities. You CAN change your weight, and that is a fact. It's science.

Then, there is the new trend saying "ONLY REAL MEN LIKE CURVES" which insults thin and fit women. Why is it ok to tell someone "Woah, you're so skinny, you need to eat a sandwhich!", but it's so wrong to tell someone "You're gaining weight, you should eat less"? You can't force people to be attracted to you. You can't redefine beauty standards. A man will be attracted to whatever the hell he wants.

That's why no one can take Fat acceptance seriously, because although there are women who want to feel "pretty" at their weight, and don't force their opinions on anyone else, and strive to become healthier and not skinnier, there is triple the amount of ignorant overweight people who try to make everyone else accommodate to them because they're so much more important and prettier than "skinny *****es".
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Why did she focus exclusively on overweight females?
    The article was inspired by the three women in front of her at the airport.

But the ENTIRE article was about WOMEN. She could have used the three females at the airport to begin her argument about fat acceptance, and then move on to the word "people"; however, she did not. She stuck to females. And women are the ones who feel the impact of fat shaming the most.

I want to say first off that I do believe that we should do the best we can to achieve optimum health- and this includes maintaining a healthy weight. Having said that, I don't think being fat makes one BAD, as the woman in this article insinuates.

I have two daughters, and one is heavier than her sister. She knows it. She also eats more fruits and vegetables than her sister, and is far more active. Yet, I have repeatedly heard her say, "I'm so fat." She is eleven. And it breaks my damn heart that she thinks she is LESS of a person because of ONE physical imperfection. Because she is NOT fat. She is ELEVEN. And the kid moves - she swims, she plays basketball, she walks with me - and she eats well. We do NOT do fast food, and I incorporate healthy foods into our diet at every meal.

My daughter is smart, and funny (my Lord she is hilarious), and feisty, and she will fight to the death for her friends. But according to this woman, I should be shaming her about her body and telling her she's disgusting. Because she's not skinny. I should tell her that she doesn't deserve to have fun or be happy because she doesn't fit someone else's idea of perfect.

No, my daughter is not obese, not by any means. She's just not skinny. But self-loathing and judgments start young. So this woman will have to forgive me if I choose not to berate my children about their weight, or any aspect of their physical appearance, now or ever simply because I want my children to love themselves as much as I love them.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with being in love with the fat acceptance movement, but also trying to lose weight.
    It's difficult for some people, myself included at times, to find distinction between being proud of who you are, thinking you're beautiful and worthy of having a fulfilling life, love, career etc, while also being unhappy with your level of health and wanting to lose weight. I'm playing for both teams, and I think it's beneficial. I know I don't need to lose weight in order to be worthy of walking outside wearing shorts, finding a boyfriend, or daring to have fun on a vacation as this article points out.

Fat acceptance is helpful to me because when I look in the mirror, I still can only see my flaws, my big stomach, soft arms, and puckered thighs, but I don't need to apologize to anyone for having the "courage" (a very patronizing term) to exist in my body. I'm trying to improve my health through cleaner eating, portion control and exercise. I'm not doing it so that I can walk the streets without hateful people telling me to put more clothes on. Or that I shouldn't be allowed to have fun until I've reached an "acceptable" weight.

The aim of fat acceptance isn't to promote fatness or to ignore possible health risks, but to tell young women (mostly) that they shouldn't have to feel unworthy of happiness just because of their body size. It's a confidence boost. You know what happens when you have more confidence? You start to improve all aspects of your life, including fitness and healthful diet.

Bullying people doesn't make them change. I don't know how people don't understand this yet.

^^This is the best thing I've read on MFP in the 4-5 months I've been on it.

:wink: thank you

I also have to comment on something that someone else brought up, which is the fact that this article targets women. The article is both sexist and fat-shaming. It doesn't target women merely because the author saw some fat chicks and that's it. I'm sure she saw plenty of fat men at the airport too. It's about women because thought of women is still centered around providing aesthetic beauty to the world and the male gaze. Yet another dehumanizing idea, great. Just as dehumanizing as comments like "fried egg" breasts. How dare these girls exist and not LOOK good. Or wear clothes that they haven't 'earned the right to wear', ie bikinis, short shorts, tank tops. For women and body image, these judgements are hurtful. Sure, men are ridiculed for being fat, but women get the brunt of the load because women are told that they "should" look so many ways - tall, slim, fit, curvy, young, hourglass, "feminine", etc and most women just don't feel that they're the perfect combinations of all these ridiculous traits.

Don't try to hide the sexist and hateful agenda behind "but... i'm so worried about your health!"

Sigh. Thats enough.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with being in love with the fat acceptance movement, but also trying to lose weight.
    It's difficult for some people, myself included at times, to find distinction between being proud of who you are, thinking you're beautiful and worthy of having a fulfilling life, love, career etc, while also being unhappy with your level of health and wanting to lose weight. I'm playing for both teams, and I think it's beneficial. I know I don't need to lose weight in order to be worthy of walking outside wearing shorts, finding a boyfriend, or daring to have fun on a vacation as this article points out.

Fat acceptance is helpful to me because when I look in the mirror, I still can only see my flaws, my big stomach, soft arms, and puckered thighs, but I don't need to apologize to anyone for having the "courage" (a very patronizing term) to exist in my body. I'm trying to improve my health through cleaner eating, portion control and exercise. I'm not doing it so that I can walk the streets without hateful people telling me to put more clothes on. Or that I shouldn't be allowed to have fun until I've reached an "acceptable" weight.

The aim of fat acceptance isn't to promote fatness or to ignore possible health risks, but to tell young women (mostly) that they shouldn't have to feel unworthy of happiness just because of their body size. It's a confidence boost. You know what happens when you have more confidence? You start to improve all aspects of your life, including fitness and healthful diet.

Bullying people doesn't make them change. I don't know how people don't understand this yet.

^^This is the best thing I've read on MFP in the 4-5 months I've been on it.

:wink: thank you

I also have to comment on something that someone else brought up, which is the fact that this article targets women. The article is both sexist and fat-shaming. It doesn't target women merely because the author saw some fat chicks and that's it. I'm sure she saw plenty of fat men at the airport too. It's about women because thought of women is still centered around providing aesthetic beauty to the world and the male gaze. Yet another dehumanizing idea, great. Just as dehumanizing as comments like "fried egg" breasts. How dare these girls exist and not LOOK good. Or wear clothes that they haven't 'earned the right to wear', ie bikinis, short shorts, tank tops. For women and body image, these judgements are hurtful. Sure, men are ridiculed for being fat, but women get the brunt of the load because women are told that they "should" look so many ways - tall, slim, fit, curvy, young, hourglass, "feminine", etc and most women just don't feel that they're the perfect combinations of all these ridiculous traits.

Don't try to hide the sexist and hateful agenda behind "but... i'm so worried about your health!"

Sigh. Thats enough.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To be clear, this article was written by a woman, right?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You know, for a site where "because science" get said often as a mantra, it's surprising how little people know about the scientific research surrounding obesity that isn't about losing weight but why people become overweight or obese in the first place.

There are genetic factors to it, just like being gay. The genetic contribution to your body weight is the same as that of your height, which is 70%.

Ever met the kid who complained about not being able to gain weight- the skinny awkward teenager who wanted to bulk up? Ever met the girl who no matter how hard she tried and how stringent her diet she couldn't lose weight?

Wanna know why? Because science.

Does an obesogenic environment contribute to obesity? Definitely yes. Do our dietary behaviors impact our weight? Obviously yes. But they aren't the sole reason for one's body weight.

And I won't even touch on the role that socio-economic status plays in obesity trends.

The idea that weight is all personal choice is garbage. I would like to see the scientific papers that prove that it is.

I've met a ton of fatties that blame their genes, society, fast food chains, busy lives etc, all while they chow down on a big mac.

Show me a person who eats healthy and exercises regularly but is fat because of their "genetics".

I know at least one person who eats well, small amounts, busts her hump in the gym and struggles due to thyroid issues. I haven't met a set point that can stand in the face of CICO though.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Well, very badly written article, mean, and its not OK to just go around talking/judging all like her or calling people fatties, but still with some good points.

There is definitely something wrong with both wanting fat girls on vacation to be ashamed with themselves, but also something wrong with the idea that it is normal/acceptable to be fat. I can't agree more with the perverse popular opinion on how its now not "OK" to say something about the size of someone if they are big, but perfectly "fine" to say something about someone's size if they are perceived as too small.

Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

There is a big difference between "I love myself, I am a valuable/great person despite any and all physical issues, which have no bearing on my self worth, worth to others, nor should they define me" and "I love myself and because I'm fat, I should love it, and you should love fat too!". What I see is a lot of the "fat acceptance" group is the latter, not the former, and that's not cool.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Misogyny is a societal problem, not just a personal one.
    Women can be sexist.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Women can be sexist.

Thanks.

I'll file this away for when that topic comes back up in the forums here.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fat shaming per say but I don't think the idea of normalising obesity is a good thing, especially obesity in the extreme. The more obese one is the more unnecessary stress they put on their body and health. We should strive to be as fit and healthy as we can not just give up and reach for the ding dongs and then make excuses.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

Fat is a sign of a problem? Yelp. Then i guess we're all screwed, because fat is essential for prolonged health and longevity. That's indicative of a problem now? Better cut off my breasts: i'm rather healthy, but those contain a lot of fat so OFF WITH THOSE!

I know you most likely made a mistake with words there, but seeing how you quite frankly don't comprehend the concept of body acceptance, i couldn't help my snarky remarks.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fat shaming per say but I don't think the idea of normalising obesity is a good thing, especially obesity in the extreme. The more obese one is the more unnecessary stress they put on their body and health. We should strive to be as fit and healthy as we can not just give up and reach for the ding dongs and then make excuses.

You do know that the fat acceptance movement doesn't aim to normalize or glorify obesity, right? It just says that we ALL are worthy of love, respect, and bodily autonomy. It says NOTHING about how one should go about living their life, in terms of dietary choices and exercise habits.

If anything, i've found many people more inclined to take positive steps towards improved health - myself included, as well as many individuals commenting earlier on in the thread - because the movement made them feel as though they were worthy of love and respect, leading them to love and respect their bodies enough to make positive changes.

:)
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I saw the article and agree with he general premise that many youth (regardless of gender) are too content to be obese. Not cool
  • NormInv
    Options

Fat is a sign of a problem? Yelp. Then i guess we're all screwed, because fat is essential for prolonged health and longevity. That's indicative of a problem now? Better cut off my breasts: i'm rather healthy, but those contain a lot of fat so OFF WITH THOSE!

I know you most likely made a mistake with words there, but seeing how you quite frankly don't comprehend the concept of body acceptance, i couldn't help my snarky remarks.

No thin people live longer. Check out the longevity data for countries and look up this country called Jepen
  • NormInv
    Options

You do know that the fat acceptance movement doesn't aim to normalize or glorify obesity, right? It just says that we ALL are worthy of love, respect, and bodily autonomy. It says NOTHING about how one should go about living their life, in terms of dietary choices and exercise habits.

If anything, i've found many people more inclined to take positive steps towards improved health - myself included, as well as many individuals commenting earlier on in the thread - because the movement made them feel as though they were worthy of love and respect, leading them to love and respect their bodies enough to make positive changes.

:)

some are worthy of more love?
  • NormInv
    Options

Women can be sexist.

yeah like most republicans are anti gay......im like hello....Lindsey Graham!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Haven't you heard? If you mention health, you'll be discounted because no one is actually worried about anyone's health. What you're actually worried about is their attractiveness.

It's true. I read it in the forums.
  • NormInv
    Options
    i will not be a jerk :)