Because Fat-Shaming is Sooo Cool

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't understand why people think that flinging around insults is a motivator.
    All the kids that I've known who were mocked or beaten by their parents when they got bad grades - and I've known more than one - came very close to graduating high school.

Can't argue with results...

I am also completely, absolutely, 100% convinced that overweight people don't know they are overweight unless helpful strangers point it out as frequently and cruelly as possible.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    This is where fat acceptance comes in, and actually has a role. You can't tell a girl 'it's what is inside that counts' one day and 'how dare you even come out on the street where decent people can see you?' the next.

Fat acceptance is about not being afraid to be happy and enjoy life despite your size. It is NOT about promoting gaining unhealthy amounts of weight for poops and chuckles. This is what a lot of people don't seem to understand.

As someone who has been fat all my life, the fat acceptance movement really helped me lead a fuller, richer existence. It made me realize I can do well in my career, have friends, and fall in love - and that doing all of those things while being fat was ok. And in turn, it made me realize that I can take control of my weight. That's why I'm here.

I know on MFP I'm going to take a lot of flack for being pro-fat acceptance, but there it is.

Also please replace the word 'fat' with 'gay' and tell me if that article is still considered okay. No? Hmm, that should be a clue.

Not a valid comparison. What we put in our mouths is a choice. Our sexual orientation is not.

Exactly! Being fat is a choice, being gay is not!
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is probably one of the most damaging things to health and fitness. It tells people that fat is normal and acceptable and not a very obvious sign that they need to change their habits. Fat isn't healthy, at all. It's a symptom of eating disorders, health problems, or other issues. This would be like "rash acceptance" or something. Fat is a sign of a problem. Do not embrace it and encourage it.

wronggif.gif

Spoken like someone who has NO IDEA what they are talking about. Fat acceptance is not about damaging your body. Fat acceptance is about everything except your weight. It is about being able to appreciate the other facets of life and not letting fat or size RULE your life. Fat acceptance is about taking control of the fact that you can be happy even if you are fat, and that positive reinforcement helps people take control of their weights too.

You didn't describe it correctly either. You made it sound like you want the public to be your weight loss counsellor/ motivator, and the "happy" part just sounds like you're in denial, that should have been omitted. It's actually just about having the same rights as non fat people (to combat fat phobia /bias etc.) , which is sort of what you said in the beginning but no cigar for you. But of course like anything, it can be interpreted in many different ways, and that's where it DOES become a problem. I find that a lot of fat people and people in general make every excuse in the book to avoid exercising and eating healthy. I have no doubt in my mind that some misunderstood fatty will chow down a big mac because they think "fat acceptance" gave them that power.... no doubt.

I look forward to the uproar ...
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is where fat acceptance comes in, and actually has a role. You can't tell a girl 'it's what is inside that counts' one day and 'how dare you even come out on the street where decent people can see you?' the next.

Fat acceptance is about not being afraid to be happy and enjoy life despite your size. It is NOT about promoting gaining unhealthy amounts of weight for poops and chuckles. This is what a lot of people don't seem to understand.

As someone who has been fat all my life, the fat acceptance movement really helped me lead a fuller, richer existence. It made me realize I can do well in my career, have friends, and fall in love - and that doing all of those things while being fat was ok. And in turn, it made me realize that I can take control of my weight. That's why I'm here.

I know on MFP I'm going to take a lot of flack for being pro-fat acceptance, but there it is.

Also please replace the word 'fat' with 'gay' and tell me if that article is still considered okay. No? Hmm, that should be a clue.

Not a valid comparison. What we put in our mouths is a choice. Our sexual orientation is not.

Discrimination is discrimination. A belief that someone does not have the right to be happy because they are X at the end of the day boils down to the same. I'm not trying to say that discrimination against gays is equal to discrimination against fat people because so obviously it is not. The gay communities in the U.S. and across the globe have gone through such hell as I can't even fathom.

What I am trying to say is that the words she is using in this article are discriminatory, no matter who she is speaking against.

I don't believe that's true. Is it discriminatory to say your child should stay away from a child down the street because you've seen that child being 'mean'? Mean is an adjective, just like fat. It's not an adjective most of us would like to see applied to us but it's adjective all the same. Is 'Mean Acceptance' something we advocate for? I can be mean, should I just expect people to accept me and continue inviting me to their parties, even though I'm always mean to them?

Now you're wondering, what in the hell is this guy talking about? right? What I'm trying to say is there are traits some of us see in others that we're fine with. Other traits we learn to tolerate and finally, traits we just don't want to accept. I was raised to believe people who take more than their fair share were rude and people who don't do a lot of exercise were lazy. The byproduct of those two behaviors, to my maturing mind, was fatness. So basically what I'm trying to say is the root cause of fatness, as some people see it, is a series of behaviors that most of us were raised to believe were wrong. So as a result, some people feel like fat people simply did the stuff we were told as kids were wrong.

/meandering

"Stay away from the bully" is a far cry from "the bully doesn't deserve to smile in public. Or exist with other people."

I'm not defending that fat people get fat without reason. I'm defending the right of a fat person to call B.S. on someone like the article author as a form of "I'm judging you based on what my eyes tell me in this exact moment and my judgement concludes that you are unfit for society. So much so that I must promote this to others."
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... is it worth a strike?

Nope. Go ahead, stay fat. (to no one in particular)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know, you really don't have to be okay that someone is fat. You just have to realize that you don't have the right to belittle them for it simply because you're not!
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I always find these discussions interesting because, prior to losing 90 lbs, that article may have made me feel defensive and self-conscious. I feel differently now but I do agree that size does not have any correlation with a person's worth.

In any case this thread is already pretty entertaining.
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with being in love with the fat acceptance movement, but also trying to lose weight.
    It's difficult for some people, myself included at times, to find distinction between being proud of who you are, thinking you're beautiful and worthy of having a fulfilling life, love, career etc, while also being unhappy with your level of health and wanting to lose weight. I'm playing for both teams, and I think it's beneficial. I know I don't need to lose weight in order to be worthy of walking outside wearing shorts, finding a boyfriend, or daring to have fun on a vacation as this article points out.

Fat acceptance is helpful to me because when I look in the mirror, I still can only see my flaws, my big stomach, soft arms, and puckered thighs, but I don't need to apologize to anyone for having the "courage" (a very patronizing term) to exist in my body. I'm trying to improve my health through cleaner eating, portion control and exercise. I'm not doing it so that I can walk the streets without hateful people telling me to put more clothes on. Or that I shouldn't be allowed to have fun until I've reached an "acceptable" weight.

The aim of fat acceptance isn't to promote fatness or to ignore possible health risks, but to tell young women (mostly) that they shouldn't have to feel unworthy of happiness just because of their body size. It's a confidence boost. You know what happens when you have more confidence? You start to improve all aspects of your life, including fitness and healthful diet.

Bullying people doesn't make them change. I don't know how people don't understand this yet.

^^This is the best thing I've read on MFP in the 4-5 months I've been on it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Apparently she can't discern the difference of fat and natural curves! :angry:
    They were not chubby, but fat. They had bulging bellies and billowing pillows of back and shoulder stuffing, punctured by flabby arms and lardy legs that no amount of fake-tan could disguise.

article-2686676-1F7BF69200000578-226_634x481.jpg
    article-2686676-08AA7132000005DC-385_634x404.jpg

She's discerning just fine. She's talking about fat. She made that very clear and included helpful pictures. This is not "natural curves" unless you consider "bulging bellies" and "billowing pillows" of rolls on their back to be natural curves.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The thing about fat acceptance is that being fat is unhealthy. This would be akin to smoking acceptance or asbestos acceptance. You cannot compare fat acceptance as one person did to being gay: only one of these things leads to heart disease, diabetes, and many, many, many other medical concerns. Don't get me wrong here: a person should have a healthy self-esteem regardless of their physical appearance; however, I personally do not agree with the fat acceptance movement. It has the potential to be extremely misleading and detrimental to people's health. I also do NOT agree with fat-shaming in any way, shape, or form, however. But let's not beat around the bush. Being fat is unhealthy. Doctor's should not be afraid to say to an obese patient: "What is your plan to lose some weight?" The issue can be addressed in a respectful, rational manner when appropriate. Otherwise, as I would say to the woman in the article: Opinions are like arseholes: everyone has one, and they all stink. Keep yours to yourself thankyouverymuch.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "Why are today's young women so unashamed about being fat? Horrified by the rolls of flesh she's witnessed on show this summer, LINDA KELSEY takes no prisoners."

^^That is a quote I read from the article linked below. Yes, being overweight is unhealthy but this lady's tone totally made me feel like she wrote this article thinking to herself, 'I'm going to be so cool for calling fat chicks out'. Ugh. What is your take on this article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2686676/Why-todays-young-women-unashamed-fat-Horrified-rolls-flesh-shes-witnessed-summer-LINDA-KELSEY-takes-no-prisoners.html

Here is Linda Kelsey.
    article-2686676-037AE662000005DC-879_306x423.jpgI guess she considers herself to be attractive and perfect unlike 'fatties' as she references overweight girls/women in the article.

Thin people - I call em "skinnies". They're almost as evil as gingers.

Take that back, else I will eat your soul.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The thing about fat acceptance is that being fat is unhealthy. This would be akin to smoking acceptance or asbestos acceptance. You cannot compare fat acceptance as one person did to being gay: only one of these things leads to heart disease, diabetes, and many, many, many other medical concerns. Don't get me wrong here: a person should have a healthy self-esteem regardless of their physical appearance; however, I personally do not agree with the fat acceptance movement. It has the potential to be extremely misleading and detrimental to people's health. I also do NOT agree with fat-shaming in any way, shape, or form, however. But let's not beat around the bush. Being fat is unhealthy. Doctor's should not be afraid to say to an obese patient: "What is your plan to lose some weight?" The issue can be addressed in a respectful, rational manner when appropriate. Otherwise, as I would say to the woman in the article: Opinions are like arseholes: everyone has one, and they all stink. Keep yours to yourself thankyouverymuch.

But what about those of us who have gained a lot from the fat acceptance movement - including the confidence and drive to finally take control of our weights? Society (both media and people on the street) spends a lot of energy really hurting the self-esteem of overweight people. You can't snap your fingers and bring that back. It has to be built back, sometimes through pictures of happy, fat women in bikinis.

Are some people going to use it as an excuse to stay unhealthy? Sure. But the thing about people who want excuses is that they usually manage to find them.

Fat acceptance can be extremely helpful to the self-esteem and to the health. If it's not for you, fine. But it also doesn't deserve to get labeled as detrimental because some kids ruin it with bad life decisions that they were making anyway, with or without the movement.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Apparently she can't discern the difference of fat and natural curves! :angry:
    They were not chubby, but fat. They had bulging bellies and billowing pillows of back and shoulder stuffing, punctured by flabby arms and lardy legs that no amount of fake-tan could disguise.

article-2686676-1F7BF69200000578-226_634x481.jpg
    article-2686676-08AA7132000005DC-385_634x404.jpg

She's discerning just fine. She's talking about fat. She made that very clear and included helpful pictures. This is not "natural curves" unless you consider "bulging bellies" and "billowing pillows" of rolls on their back to be natural curves.

I have a serious problem with people who use curves and fat synonymously. They are not the same thing. Fat does not mean one is curvy and curvy does not mean one is fat. Please stop misusing this word people.

also
    I don't like "fat" shaming. Just as I don't like "skinny" shaming. I hate them both equally.

I also don't like justifications for unhealthy behavior, whether that be being overweight or underweight. I don't think unhealthy behavior should be glamorized.

I agree with what she said.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    situations_that_just_dont_have_a_happy_ending_7x6t4_40.gif

I'm not advocating fat shaming or fat acceptance. I'm only saying that everyone should do their best to be awesome. Be happy with what you've got and never be complacent.

Unless you get knocked down by someone's butt. I think you get a pass if that happens.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Fat people are immoral.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPTQn7GPtRt1um4Cg3tukk7ud9nMNXoM4MsPwSY99gb6iJOBchVw

Gluttony is a sin.

gluttony.jpg

I don't get it. Are you saying that there's times when gluttony benefits society?
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Discrimination is discrimination. A belief that someone does not have the right to be happy because they are X at the end of the day boils down to the same. I'm not trying to say that discrimination against gays is equal to discrimination against fat people because so obviously it is not. The gay communities in the U.S. and across the globe have gone through such hell as I can't even fathom.

What I am trying to say is that the words she is using in this article are discriminatory, no matter who she is speaking against.

Out of genuine curiosity, what was it in the article that was discriminatory?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Is alcoholic acceptance a thing? Drug abuser acceptance?

I'm not saying it's laudable to go around haranguing people, but fat acceptance often seems like little more than a thin veneer of rationalization. Yeah, try to be happy whether you're fat, skinny, tall, short, or whatever, but don't act surprised when people have a poor opinion of your voluntary actions.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be fat, but it does not bothers me to see other fat people, just like it does not bothers me to see "skinny women with man's face" like the one that wrote the article. This woman wrote this article expressing how disgusted she was that obese people are happy and they "should not happy or have fun because they are obese? No matter how good her point was, she needs to look at the mirror more often.
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It has to be built back, sometimes through pictures of happy, fat women in bikinis.

This is a thing? I didn't know there was such a thing as a fat woman being happy in a bikini. I'm not trying to be a pr!ck, it's just not something I ever thought was possible. I remember being in a change room at Swimco with my wife. My eyes were opened that day, listening to the women as they tried on bathing suits. Women I thought were fit and looked nice, breaking down in tears in front of the sales people.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    situations_that_just_dont_have_a_happy_ending_7x6t4_40.gif

HAHA! I can't tell you how many times my son has been laying on the floor and screaming: "Mom, you knocked me over with your butt!"