Clumsy Man Attempting Yoga

Options
13»

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Agreed with previous posters that there is no right or wrong in yoga, there's just where you are. I just got my yoga teacher cert, and that's really the number one thing you take to each class. I highly recommend the OP go to a studio, where he can have a teacher give him modifications with belts, blocks, blankets or the wall, and get instant feedback on how things are going.

And it really does take time and effort, a few years ago I couldn't stand on one leg for any length of time. Today I just did a class demo in front of 200+ people in Bryant park. It's all in time, practice and accepting your body for where it is right now.
  • vha2
    vha2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This thread has made my day.

Go on, be that clumsy guy that everyone tells stories about! :bigsmile:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I regularly tip over when trying new poses. And balance poses? Depends on the day. Sometimes I get find my center and stand on one foot forever. Other days...it's just embarrassing.

Or it would be if anyone in the class cared. Here's the thing: we've all face-planted a time or two, so we understand. Try a class and I think you'll be pleased by the support and by how much easier it is to progress with an instructor to give you pointers, props, and modifications.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In my experience people are encouraged not to even pay attention to other people in the classes - the point is often to look inward and experience it in your own body. So if you are in a class that welcomes beginners I would not feel self conscious. I find classes to be a WAY better experience - especially hot yoga. that way its not only a full body exercise, but also relaxing. Where I find DVDs aren't really relaxing or meditative. Just go for it - a lot of yoga studios will have a class thats cheaper to try it out either called "community" class or "karma" class. Just try it once and see if you like it any better.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have bad issues with balance and after a couple of years at physical therapy, I have trained my brain. Start off with simple balancing on one leg focusing with your eyes open and then close your eyes while lightly touching a rail or table, counter top. You can train your brain and also helps with holding your core strong. They always told me to hold my kegel. I thought they said bagel....

Best of luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. There are a few really good yoga studios in my area that I'm going to look into. Hopefully, I can get started within a few weeks. I'm more of weight lifter and occasional runner but people tell me that yoga is good because our muscles can get tight when doing a lot of power lifting and I need to stretch them out more. I hurt my back pretty bad a few months ago and I have a feeling I would not have been that bad off had I been doing yoga consistently.
    Yoga on its own doesn't burn a ton of calories. but it improves posture, balance, strength, endurance and flexibility. It will do nothing but improve your other workouts, but ONLY if you do it right! Good luck finding a class. I prefer classes, but it's cheaper for me to do it at home on my own. :-( But I've been practicing for more than a decade and started with classes.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    In many cities, if you look around, there is a free yoga class taught by professionals once or week or month. In Houston, TX, it's Luke's Locker and my neighborhood grocery store, HEB. If you do nothing but sit in on the class, you will lose your fear of attending.

Also, we had a yoga instructor at a client recently. She taught us a quick yoga break - and to remember, balance, invert, balance, twist. All in a standing on two feet pose. don't think you have to do yoga for "x" amount of time each day. You can just do a sun saluation and feel great. The point is, like the other posters have said, it is a very individualized activity.

Enjoy!
  • BelliDancer
    BelliDancer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing it. So many (strong) men refuse to do it because they're intimidated by the stretching so I applaud you for taking up the challenge. I would also encourage you to be brave and go to a class. A good teacher will help you improve your postures and then you'll get more out of it. It sounds to me like yours is not a problem of co-ordination anyway but of balance. They can give you tips and tricks and adjustments that will make a huge difference and the more you do it the better you will get. And then it gets totally addictive. I sometimes have to go lock myself in the bathroom in the middle of the day, just to do downward dog!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram for about 10 months and I still had balance problems after all that time. It's like riding a bike, your bad at first but you get a little better each time and if you work really hard at it you get up to competition level. Don't worry about looking uncoordinated or off-balance, everybody else started at roughly the same place and there are new people starting all the time. I only know of one woman who laughed a little at me during my first class and I never saw her again - I really didn't care what she thought, it was what I thought and felt in my body that counted.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I did a beginner 4 week class a few yrs ago with my wife. It was a little challenging but not too bad. My problem was at the end of the class when you laid down with the lights down and your legs relaxed I tended to break wind loudly and unexpectedly for two weeks in a row. Needless to say i was embarrassed and refuse to go back. :cry:

Chances are you ate before class. This happens a lot. I think it happens in other fitness classes too, but you can't hear it because of the loud music. Try not eating 3-4 hours before class. It will help.