If its just CICO, why "clean" food and no white carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sprycel does not have anything to do with my metabolism. I may not have been able to eat much but I did eat which would put me at a deficit so using your CICO theory I should have lost. I never lost I just gained. So this is why I believe it is the sugar and carbs that packed the pounds on me. I also get blood work every month so I know I don't have any insulin issues and I'm not diabetic
    tyson.jpg
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sprycel does not have anything to do with my metabolism. I may not have been able to eat much but I did eat which would put me at a deficit so using your CICO theory I should have lost. I never lost I just gained. So this is why I believe it is the sugar and carbs that packed the pounds on me. I also get blood work every month so I know I don't have any insulin issues and I'm not diabetic
    tyson.jpg

And guess how many scientific theories there are out there to choose from:yawn:
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Insulin spikes indeed. This is another case of not visualizing the big picture..White flour anything is double digit sugar..Individuals trying to get rid of unwanted body fat possess lower thresholds and thus greater sensitivity to increasing amounts of counter fit foods entering into their blood stream..white flour molecules are not easily disposed of when you are in a deconditioned state..

Your threshold can be triggered unknowingly ..Thats why diabetic monitor..Clean in this context is simply a blanket term..They have you eat clean because you dont know what your threshold is and nor do those advocating eating clean..

You job is to drop from double digit sugar intake to single digit sugar intake level..The body needs sugar..its a hormone regulator..The body is in constant demand for sugar its like being an addict.

The brown grains also possess sugars however they have mediators like fiber which communicate with your system in the correct physio- static protocol so it doesnt do harm to you the host of your organic operating system..

The advise of eating what ever you want dooms you to failure.. If you are in a reasonably conditioned state.. What ever you want is all good, but if your metabolism has very little enzyme activity to compensate, translate and transmit to and from unwanted body fat..

You are toast..in trying to deweaponize your system..Calories will work randomly, diets will be nothing but a patch, and your workouts will be in question because the information yours metabolism is receiving is misfiring and bouncing off the bodyfat force field in every which way..

You are eating clean to fact find..your threshold for accommodating double digit sugars.. ie you want to know how intoxicated are you by their food value or lack there of..

A fully servicing metabolism demands Food energy to produce enough lipolytic enzymes in order to champion unwanted body fat..

you don't want to be fighting insulin spikes and food energy zapping hormone rifts you can so easily avoid. Research by well funded institutions outside academia already demonstrate whole grains do a much better job at all the x y and z's of fitness.

Dances with Wow
    I help achievers and over achievers seeking to forge their body as a calling card to back it up

I love all the soft white foods but why they are often said to be something to avoid is that they are more likely to be packed with simple carbohydrates that are processed very rapidly by the body and can cause excessive insulin spikes.

The browner versions (e.g. brown rice, whole grain bread) include more complex carbohydrates and fiber and are digested more slowly and are less likely to cause the same insulin spikes.

As more research is being done, more is being learned about the importance of eating whole grains over processed grains with the bran removed and whole fruits and vegetables over juices.

For more information and citations for related articles and research reports see http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am sorry OP it looks like people are going to fight again regardless of your wishes. My 2c is that this approach really isn't necessary. Calorie counting is the way to go in the end. But that doesn't mean there isn't something to be said for avoiding spending ALL of your calories on energy dense carbohydrates. If you did that you would still be hungry for protein and fat but if you listened to that hunger you would gain weight. Carbs aren't evil. But it is awfully easy to blow through your calorie allowance on them which is why a lot of people have a decent amount of success restricting them I believe.
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cico doesn't work for me. With my PCOS and diabetes, I would gain weight on 1000 calories a day of sugar and lose weight on 1500 calories of protein, produce and unprocessed carbs.

I also prefer to eat "clean" as a matter of health, if nothing else.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in CICO. I believe it matters what is in the calories. If it didn't then MFP wouldn't track them for you. As Ive said before I take meds that make me totally nauseous and I've never eaten many calories in a day. I ate junk when I did eat and I still got fat cause all I ate was sugar and junk. I ate no more than a few hundred calorie cereal bars or nutrigrain bars a day. I got fat. So its not just about putting in that I'm sedentary and I want to lose a pound a week then just eating those calories. I'm living proof that CICO is not all there is. That is totally simplifying it
    You got fat on a few hundred calories? That confirms the suspicion that starvation is the leading cause of obesity.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sprycel does not have anything to do with my metabolism.

A common side effect of it is weight gain.

No I'm not a doctor, but found that out by just googling Sprycel. It was listed in the perscribing information on Sprycel.com and the side effect section on several different sites.

While it may not be the cause of your weight gain, you can't completely rule it out when it is a side effect of the drug.
    24pw485.jpg

Hellooooo learn how to read. It says "consult doc immediately" cause that means its something seriously wrong with the way you are reacting to it!! I've said before my bloodwork is fine. That's a severe adverse reaction that can occur in your stomach and intestine.

I can read just fine thank you. This was the only site that said it was serious. In fact the prescribing information said weight gain related to severe water retention. The print was just to small for a decent screen shot.

DIRECT FROM THE SPRYCEL SITE! IT IS A SEVERE PROBLEM. IF I LET A WEIGHT GAIN FROM THIS GO IT WOULD KILL ME! IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MED OR DISEASE THEN DON'T TRY TO COMMENT ON IT INTELLIGENTLY

Calm down. I never said it was the reason you gained weight. A side effect of a drug is a side effect (doesn't matter if it might indicate a severe problem or not...it's still a side effect). I was just pointing out that it is a side effect. Sheesh. I only pointed it out because the way you stated your posts made it seem like you though it couldn't cause weight gain. Although I do wonder if its possible for it to cause weight gain, but not be severe. Kind of like how some medicines have vomiting as a side effect and a serious side effect (the page I read did say not all side effects were listed). But again, don't jump down my throat, I'm not (nor did I ever) saying it's the reason behind your weight gain.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

No I'm not a doctor, but found that out by just googling Sprycel. It was listed in the perscribing information on Sprycel.com and the side effect section on several different sites.

While it may not be the cause of your weight gain, you can't completely rule it out when it is a side effect of the drug.
    24pw485.jpg

Hellooooo learn how to read. It says "consult doc immediately" cause that means its something seriously wrong with the way you are reacting to it!! I've said before my bloodwork is fine. That's a severe adverse reaction that can occur in your stomach and intestine.

I can read just fine thank you. This was the only site that said it was serious. In fact the prescribing information said weight gain related to severe water retention. The print was just to small for a decent screen shot.

•Your body may hold too much fluid (fluid retention):

In severe cases, fluid may build up in the lining of your lungs, the sac around your heart, or your stomach cavity. Call your healthcare provider right away if you get any of these symptoms during treatment with SPRYCEL:

◦swelling all over your body

◦weight gain

◦shortness of breath and cough

DIRECT FROM THE SPRYCEL SITE! IT IS A SEVERE PROBLEM. IF I LET A WEIGHT GAIN FROM THIS GO IT WOULD KILL ME! IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MED OR DISEASE THEN DON'T TRY TO COMMENT ON IT INTELLIGENTLY
    dm5000d015.gif
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

24pw485.jpg

•Your body may hold too much fluid (fluid retention):

In severe cases, fluid may build up in the lining of your lungs, the sac around your heart, or your stomach cavity. Call your healthcare provider right away if you get any of these symptoms during treatment with SPRYCEL:

◦swelling all over your body

◦weight gain

◦shortness of breath and cough

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Cico doesn't work for me. With my PCOS and diabetes, I would gain weight on 1000 calories a day of sugar and lose weight on 1500 calories of protein, produce and unprocessed carbs.

I also prefer to eat "clean" as a matter of health, if nothing else.

Lol. Sugar is now a new macro.
  • cosmicpeaches
    Options
    Unless you have a health condition, CICO is absolutely fine. You don't need to give up any of the foods you like, just eat a reasonable amount of calories and exercise. I follow CICO but I *do* cut out simple carbs and junk food, but only because I have an intolerance and I'm trying to find out what it is (so, a health issue!), and I find protein and complex carbs more filling and give me more energy, so I'd rather not 'waste' my calorie allowance on other foods
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    NOT trying to start a fight. Please don't. I honestly just don't know the answer - I'm new to a lot of this.

I am doing CICO. However, i'm a little confused why were told to eat "clean" foods and no white rice, white bread etc and use whole grain if it's just CICO.

If it's just CICO, shouldn't it not matter whether its from a bowl of white rice topped with a white potato, and garnished with white bread as long as youre in a caloric deficit?

As an adult you have a choice to eat what you want (with exceptions obviously).

First off I'm sure people are making suggestions, rather than ordering people to eat a certain way.

Eating 'Clean (whatever definition of that is)' is likely to be balanced and have a decent level of micro nutrients and a good spread of macro nutrients.

In regards to white rice, white bread - they have their place in a diet, but some people limit them because for the calorie cost they give very little back in way of micro nutrients. They are not unhealthy, they are more neutral than anything. If you have cals available and you've hit your micros from other sources, then eat them log them and enjoy.

If other people choice to eat clean and cut bread and grain - good for them.

We all have different lifestyles and different dietary needs and we all find enjoy different foods.

If you are enjoying CICO then stick with it. Hit your protein and then just eat fats and carbs to suit your needs.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    NOT trying to start a fight. Please don't. I honestly just don't know the answer - I'm new to a lot of this.

I am doing CICO. However, i'm a little confused why were told to eat "clean" foods and no white rice, white bread etc and use whole grain if it's just CICO.

If it's just CICO, shouldn't it not matter whether its from a bowl of white rice topped with a white potato, and garnished with white bread as long as youre in a caloric deficit?

Why?
    Because people like the fad diet, the "sexy" named diets like Paleo, atkins, gluten free, etc etc etc. People inherently like to say they are on some sort of special diet as it validates what they are doing.

Simply saying you are just burning more than you take in doesnt interest alot of people. There arent any buzz words that make it sound special.

Those needing/wanting to lose weight dont want to really hear that they just need to burn more calories than they take in. They want some magic way of eating that makes them feel special!

With that said...pretty much everything they try is ultimately CICO. It is just a way to "trick' people into getting to that route as many feel they just cannot do it by themselves.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's CICO.

However plenty of people have much tougher time regulating certain foods. For some people the "white carbs", as you call them, present more of a challenge with regulation. Some prefer to severely limit, if not outright eliminate, foods that tempt them to overeat to a degree that it's just not worth even having them around.

I did that off and on for years. I no longer do, but to be honest it was exactly what I needed. I still have a wicked sweet tooth, but periods of abstinence in the past totally helped me permanently change my relationship with every other high carbohydrate food that I use to overeat on. Now while I still enjoy pizza, cereal, crackers, french fries, bread, pasta, etc, those things I almost never crave and so they never, ever prove a problem for me in weight management. I can go months, even years without having them and not miss them one bit.

I'm someone for whom restriction has paid off very well, to the point where I no longer have to work at restriction.

Except with the blasted desserts. Those I do eat, to my heart's content, but I do have to space out my splurges with more care.