funeral

Options
2»

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Here's a link.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/womens-apparel/wa-suiting/two-piece-carlos-skirt-set

It's on sale for $99. The polka dots are borderline but I think it will still fly for a solemn occasion. You can use it for other occasions after the funeral. It's classy and would be money well spent.

Legs above the knee, shoulders, chest, and sleeveless arms should not be on display at a funeral, even in Florida.

Hun, she's looking at dresses in Target clearance, I don't think a hundred dollar dress is gonna work for a funeral for someone she never knew.

Sleeveless is always appropriate in summer. Spaghetti straps are not Ok, but sleeveless absolutely is.

Yeah I saw what she was looking at at Target. I know a hundred bucks is more than she wanted to spend initially and I don't know if it would be in her budget. But this outfit is versatile enough to be worn all year when she wants to dress to impress. I think it's fabulous. She'd probably look good in it and Larry Levine sells suits in sizes up to size 28 I think. Also, since it's a boyfriend's relative she never met, maybe he could pitch in for her outfit.

Personally I don't think sleeveless is okay for a funeral so I stand by my original statement. Long sleeves or elbow length sleeves would be a bit hot during summer in Florida but I think the short sleeved look featured in the link is the limit to how much arm flesh should be displayed at a funeral.

Gals, I was looking at Target clearance, because that's the first store that sprang to mind. I have bit of money to burn. I likely won't buy the $100 outfit, but more because it doesn't really fit my taste. I don't like suits and have no place to wear one, since I work in a hospital can't even make it a work outfit.

Thanks, though for the budget considerations.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So I have a funeral for a relative of my boyfriend who I have never met to go to on Thursday. I haven't been to a funeral since my adolescence. What do I wear? I welcome any sugesstions...preferably in link or pic form... Keep in mind I am in Florida and it is HOT and HUMID.

I was thinking something like

http://www.target.com/p/merona-women-s-cascade-ruffle-front-dress-assorted-colors/-/A-14264695#prodSlot=medium_2_42&term=black+dress

Thanks
    I think this one would be better: http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/mossimo-women-s-ponte-sleeveless-dress-w-zippered-pockets-assorted-colors/-/A-14585696#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=Womans+black+dress
    Or this one:http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p/merona-women-s-knit-belted-dress-assorted-colors/-/A-14936286#prodSlot=medium_1_29&term=Womans+black+dress

Both of these options are inexpensive, but really cute basic black dresses. I like the first one better, but here is the page with all their dresses in black and there are some great prices! I love Target!!
    http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/s?searchTerm=Womans+black+dress&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_Womans+black+dress
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said more conservative. Show less skin on the top half. I typically wear a business suit to funerals, but I'm not much of a dress person.

I do think it's a little weird that you're going to a funeral for someone you've never met. I would feel like I'm intruding on a private family moment.

^^This. I'm only going, because he asked me to. It's going to be incredibly awkward.

I recently traveled to Texas with my SO to attend a funeral for a member of his family I never met. I went to support him and his parents. I never felt awkward and was very warmly welcomed by all this family.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify that the outfit in my NEW current profile, is not what i wore to the memorial service. This would be entirely inappropriate for a funeral...even here in Florida.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here's a link.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/womens-apparel/wa-suiting/two-piece-carlos-skirt-set

It's on sale for $99. The polka dots are borderline but I think it will still fly for a solemn occasion. You can use it for other occasions after the funeral. It's classy and would be money well spent.

Legs above the knee, shoulders, chest, and sleeveless arms should not be on display at a funeral, even in Florida.

Hun, she's looking at dresses in Target clearance, I don't think a hundred dollar dress is gonna work for a funeral for someone she never knew.

Sleeveless is always appropriate in summer. Spaghetti straps are not Ok, but sleeveless absolutely is.

Yeah I saw what she was looking at at Target. I know a hundred bucks is more than she wanted to spend initially and I don't know if it would be in her budget. But this outfit is versatile enough to be worn all year when she wants to dress to impress. I think it's fabulous. She'd probably look good in it and Larry Levine sells suits in sizes up to size 28 I think. Also, since it's a boyfriend's relative she never met, maybe he could pitch in for her outfit.

Personally I don't think sleeveless is okay for a funeral so I stand by my original statement. Long sleeves or elbow length sleeves would be a bit hot during summer in Florida but I think the short sleeved look featured in the link is the limit to how much arm flesh should be displayed at a funeral.

Gals, I was looking at Target clearance, because that's the first store that sprang to mind. I have bit of money to burn. I likely won't buy the $100 outfit, but more because it doesn't really fit my taste. I don't like suits and have no place to wear one, since I work in a hospital can't even make it a work outfit.

Thanks, though for the budget considerations.

A basic black dress can be worn anywhere else though. Other funerals, weddings, holiday dinner with a little jacket, can be dressed up with accessories for a night out, etc etc. But I agree with not spending a lot because since you are on MFP, hopefully the dress won't fit you by the time the next "occasion" comes along!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    LASCANA-Black-Ruched-Bandeau-Bikini~447763SWIP.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson would be proud.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    Funerals today are not what they once were. Yes, some are still formal, others not so much. I went to one where the deceased was a big sports fan. It was requested that everyone wear their favorite team jersey. Others I've been to I've worn my biker leathers. Ask your boyfriend how he's dressing and wear something that appropriately matches his attire.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Skip the funeral and do something else? Funerals are depressing and the person in the box won't even miss you.

oqZ1kjj.gif
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's modern day, so no need to wear black. No jeans, trainers or loud patterns and cover your naughty bits. Be comfortable. It's not about you.