WIll my pear shape ever change?

Options
13»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I was very pear shaped before my transformation.

I've not lost a lot of pounds but I've gone from over 30% fat to under 20%.

My thick wobbly thighs and big bum have gone into submission, stopped being shapeless, and become quite a talking point! Lol!

I don't think I've even lost more than a couple of inches on my thighs and hips, but they have contours and perk now!

Heavy lifting, slow cut, slow bulk, slow cut, adequate protein will do that. I also happen to do a fair bit of cardio, seasonally, but it's the lifting and the calorie controlling that brought the hourglass back from the pear orchard.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Pear here
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't think so :( it obviously varies with people, but I've seen a photo of a girl who was clearly anorexic, or dangerously thin anyway as her ribs were sticking out and things, but you could still see that her frame was bigger on her lower half, with her bones and things. I'm pear shaped and I've found that running and yoga has helped most of my legs look better except for my very upper thighs. I think we just have to live with it :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change your pear shape - here's a book on the subject (Bye Bye Thunder Thighs - the weight loss diet plan for pear shapes)

http://thighgaphack.com/bye-bye-thunder-thighs-diet-pear-shapes/

Basically, when you lose enough fat your proportions will even out, so although if you gain the weight back you will be predisposition for it to go straight to your hips and thighs, as long as it's off you will no longer possess that pear shape

Be forewarned, your top will probably get pretty bony though before the fat from your lower body melts away. Make sure you work out properly though, because a lot of pear shaped women tend to follow the advice of using weights, squats, etc. but since fat is the problem versus toning per se, won't be satisfied with the results.

you'll need to do lots of cardio - the book recommends getting a treadmill desk, get a lot of blood flow to the area (massages, stretching, etc), and stay away from foods that get stored as fat almost right away (sugar, high carbs, too much fat or any other nutrient in one sitting).

Finally, pear shapes tend to hold a lot of water in the hips and thighs too, so you might want to try body wraps for legs, saunas, elevating your legs every night, and cutting out sodium from the diet. Hope it helps :)
    Cardio isn't needed to lose bodyfat. Neither is staying away from carbs or sugar. There's lots of anecdotal information from the link.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    peanutcats wrote: »
    I think I'm pear shaped, anyway. I have these tubby legs. It's hard to describe but imagine my legs to be like two stretched-out upside down triangles: I have tiny ankles, skinny calves, then my knees have this weird "double chin" thing and my legs just get more and more huge from my knees. Sorry if the description sucks but anyway...I was wondering will this shape ever change? I want my legs to be thin and lean, not chunky! I already do a lot of cardio with resistance and a bit of weights too (light/moderate). I'm just so sick of thick legs!!! Aaargh!! :-( Will they go away? My logic is that if all my fat is stored there, surely if there's no fat LEFT to store then it won't be in my legs? What body fat % does it start to go away from the legs at? Thanks so much! I'm just a little upset about it now because of a comment from a family member that my legs look like tree trunks.

Honey , body shape will never change, so if you were born a pear, you always will be a pear. Instead of thinking about those tubby legs ( take it from another pear) focus on the good areas of your body , ur face will be looking better, as will your boobs , and arms.
    Still on the positive side, the fact that even loosing a little weight will make a huge difference in the way you look, and those legs will look way better. you will be able to tell the difference as soon as you've lost about 10 pounds. trust me on that.
    ah yes, another thing , a little workout goes a long way. I have been working out for about a year and a half, have not lost a pound and everyone keeps asking me what I've done to look so toned and great. even a 25 - 30 min intense workout daily will do the job!!! And it will improve your self-esteem greatly.