original(4).jpg
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If it fits my macros I eat it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Crops and food have been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture. Have you seen any problems yet?

You beat me to it.
    And looked better doing so, incidentally.

But it's NOT TRUE
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I think they look pretty in the store therefore I'm much more likely to buy and eat. Since I have a 100% chance of dying, I'm okay with that.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It's not something that can be changed or reversed. I don't worry about it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Crops and food have been genetically modified since the dawn of agriculture. Have you seen any problems yet?

This

Thirded.

It's anti-science, nothing more. It's the exact same kind of thinking that makes people not vaccinate their kids.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad. It probably just means you need to learn more.

While I agree with to a certain point the type of modifications we are doing now are way beyond cross breeding. We are talking genes from one organism and splicing them into a completely different organism. Which is very cool but we are introducing new things to our foods that have not been there in the past. I have no issues with GMO but believe it should be labeled for people to make their own choice.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Its a little difficult to tell from your post whether or not you are really serious. I am going to tell you the same thing I tell my kids. Your government is no longer watching out for what happens to your food. The amount of money being spent on Capital Hill to lobby for food manufacturing is now the same as the NRA and Tobacco companies and at times more. You MUST take control of your own eating. Gone are the days when you could just buy whatever and eat it the food manufacturing industry has highjacked the health of America and for anyone who is reading don't think that it is that much better in the U.K. or France because its not. When they say we are too ignorant they are right . We buy organic or sugar free or fat free and never read a label so if it says GMO free people will buy just because it says that. YOU must read the labels You have to take responsibility for what you eat.And you have to read and read and read because the studies regarding food production are as up and down as the global warming studies and often times laced with very few facts as well just speculation.

Even your organic foods have likely been genetically modified. How do you think we got dairy cattle vs meat cattle? Or corn to look and taste the way it does today compared to what it started out as when humans first started cultivating it? I could go on and on with examples of foods that we have genetically modified.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Not.

ETA: While this may not be true for all foods, one example is corn. Before they started modifying corn in Mexico, thousands of people died from a fungus that grew on the corn. They GM'ed the corn so the fungus can't grow on it and in the process saved thousands more lives (is true, studied it in a university textbook).

Also. We wouldn't have bananas without GMOs as they were wiped out in the past and GM was the only way to bring them back (seeing as they reproduce by cloning). What would the world be like without bananas? Sad monkeys all over the place, and certainly very sad Katies.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Not in the same way ...... Selective breading and cross pollination is NOT GMO... GMO is done in the Lab and often entails splicing genes that would NOT naturally occur.. Here lies the potential problems.

GMO = genetically modified. Selective breeding and cross pollination are also genetic modifications and some are also done in labs.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Not in the same way ...... Selective breading and cross pollination is NOT GMO... GMO is done in the Lab and often entails splicing genes that would NOT naturally occur.. Here lies the potential problems.

GMO = genetically modified. Selective breeding and cross pollination are also genetic modifications and some are also done in labs.

yeah, but those are "natural" modifications...(looks around real funny and hopes you don't notice)
  • SilverlMelody
    SilverlMelody Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think they are scary! I try my best to buy non-GMO products in the store (like when I'm choosing my almond milk, peanut butter, jelly, etc.) but at the same time, I usually just check the thing I'm buying for the ingredients and how healthy it is (fats, sugar, sodium, etc.).

I know when I buy bananas that are organic, it doesn't mean they aren't GMOs. At this point, I think we need more research but I try to make the best decisions when I'm shopping for food. .
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Just lol. Should we don our tinfoil hats now or wait a page or two?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

This

Thirded.

It's anti-science, nothing more. It's the exact same kind of thinking that makes people not vaccinate their kids.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad. It probably just means you need to learn more.

While I agree with to a certain point the type of modifications we are doing now are way beyond cross breeding. We are talking genes from one organism and splicing them into a completely different organism. Which is very cool but we are introducing new things to our foods that have not been there in the past. I have no issues with GMO but believe it should be labeled for people to make their own choice.

All they are doing in the lab is fast forwarding the process, otherwise they would do it the old fashion way and we would have the same result over a much longer period of time.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Gone are the days when you could just buy whatever and eat it the food manufacturing industry has highjacked the health of America and for anyone who is reading don't think that it is that much better in the U.K. or France because its not.

This is not new in American history. Upton Sinclair wrote a bestseller in 1906 with his book The Jungle, exposing the filthy practices of the meat packing industry. His book also took a hard look at business and labor practices of that period. Every generation likes to think its problems are the worst that mankind has ever faced. Nope - not really.

"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." (From the new Battestar Galactica)

Last point - I agree with those that have pointed out that we have been genetically modifying crops for several thousand years. As for Europe, even the Huffinton Post article points out that the bans are in spite of the extensive scientific research that supports the safety of GMO crops.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

Oh really, you sure about that? Care to prove it?

Because since we started farming the smartest among us have found ways to improve crop yield, grow heartier plants producing more fruit, use seeds that were resistant to rot and do away with the weaker strains, etc. etc.

Which is a good thing. It's kept people alive. It's advanced us as a species.

Now all I see are people who want to strap on their "natural" hat to identify with a cause rallying against something they don't even understand.

SELECTIVE BREADING IS NOT GM

"While selective breeding of plants and animals has been practiced for centuries, genetic modification (Agricultural Biotechnology) is still fairly new. "
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

Because since we started farming the smartest among us have found ways to improve crop yield, grow heartier plants producing more fruit, use seeds that were resistant to rot and do away with the weaker strains, etc. etc.

Now all I see are people who want to strap on their "natural" hat to identify with a cause rallying against something they don't even understand.

All caps. The best way to convince others of the intensity of your feels.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

You beat me to it.

But it's NOT TRUE

All caps. The best way to convince others of the intensity of your feels.

yawn
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

"While selective breeding of plants and animals has been practiced for centuries, genetic modification (Agricultural Biotechnology) is still fairly new. "

And that's bad why? All I've seen from you in this thread is saying "no" with no reasoning behind it....