Bump
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    sounds great!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Tried them. A bit too salty, next time I might not use any additional salt since the baking powder is a bit salty in itself. The recipe just doesn't make 2 tortillas.. 2 tortillas end up too small to be useful, maybe 4-5". I used 1/4 tsp of dried powdered cilantro and jalapeno which had a good taste. I cooked on a medium-high preheated cast iron skillet, small spray of 0-calorie butter cooking spray. Maybe 20 seconds on each side and they were done. They cooled and were not brittle. I rolled out as much as I could and they still could have been thinner and been fine.

To answer the question if the dough could be made ahead of time and then cooked.. not really. The baking powder is made with sodium bicarbonate (which is baking soda) and as soon as you expose that to moisture it starts its reaction. You have a small window to mix it up and cook it before its used up. It makes the paper thin dough you roll out more fluffy (otherwise when you cooked it would turn into a crisp chip).

Nice to be able to make a tortilla wrap fresh, or when you're out and would like to make one yourself. Realistically though not any lower calorie than a standard wrap. But good, and thank you for the recipe and the reminder to dress it up with a fun herb.
  • rachelhaueter
    rachelhaueter Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OP to you have any wrap recipes that will go along with these tortillas? I will have to try this. I have been thinking about trying some wraps but I don't like buying tortillas from the store as I find them to be quite bland and I wont use the entire package before they start to harden and go bad.
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump for save.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    You can buy 90 calories tortillas at Tops/Target. I'd rather eat 30 calories more and save the time instead
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    what does Bump mean?

It's a term used to bring the post back to the top of the board, so more people see it.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump...sounds yummy!
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carebearrum
    carebearrum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tried them. A bit too salty, next time I might not use any additional salt since the baking powder is a bit salty in itself. The recipe just doesn't make 2 tortillas.. 2 tortillas end up too small to be useful, maybe 4-5". I used 1/4 tsp of dried powdered cilantro and jalapeno which had a good taste. I cooked on a medium-high preheated cast iron skillet, small spray of 0-calorie butter cooking spray. Maybe 20 seconds on each side and they were done. They cooled and were not brittle. I rolled out as much as I could and they still could have been thinner and been fine.

To answer the question if the dough could be made ahead of time and then cooked.. not really. The baking powder is made with sodium bicarbonate (which is baking soda) and as soon as you expose that to moisture it starts its reaction. You have a small window to mix it up and cook it before its used up. It makes the paper thin dough you roll out more fluffy (otherwise when you cooked it would turn into a crisp chip).

Nice to be able to make a tortilla wrap fresh, or when you're out and would like to make one yourself. Realistically though not any lower calorie than a standard wrap. But good, and thank you for the recipe and the reminder to dress it up with a fun herb.

Thank you for that answer!
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    what does Bump mean?

It's a term used to bring the post back to the top of the board, so more people see it.

it also puts the post into 'My Topics' so that you can find it easily when you want to see it again.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I've made corn tortillas before, but not flour. Will definitely have to give these a try!

If anyone wants a corn tortilla receipe, I like this one. About 60 calories per tortilla. Batch makes 6 (6 inch) tortillas.

- 1 cup masa harina (a corn flour, I get Bob's Red Mill)
    - 2/3 cup warm (not hot) water
    - 1/8 tsp baking powder

Mix the masa harina and the baking powder. With a spoon or fork, stir in the warm water until its very thick. Knead the dough several times until it forms a ball. Divide into 6 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place on a plate while you roll the rest of the dough, cover with a damp towel to the keep the dough balls from drying out.

Place skillet over medium heat, and while its heating roll out your first tortilla (I like to use a tortilla press, but you can also just put the dough between some wax paper, plastic wrap, or even a couple sandwich bags and then just press the ball using a plate or anything round and hard). Tortilla should be about 6 inches in diameter.

Place the tortilla on the heated skillet and cook for about 45 seconds on each side (until no longer doughy). While cooking, start pressing the next tortilla. Place the cooked tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp towel.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    excellent! Thank you! I think I'll make these this weekend.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I have a tortilla press that will be pulled out to try these! Thank you so much :).
  • rew1469
    rew1469 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I do both. I usually have a package bought from the store in the fridge, but every now and then I make them fresh.