Eating before bed

Options
Hi there!
I've been trying to lose some weight for the past few weeks and I just had a question - is eating before bed a big no-no or is that just an online myth? I heard you're not supposed to eat in the two hours (at least) before you go to sleep. My schedule is all messed up because I'm in nursing but I figure I should be able to stop eating around 9pm before I go to bed at 1130. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person but for the most part I try to finish eating 3 hours before bed and taper off my carbs after lunch. I tell my team to do the same thing and it has worked for them as well
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    myth, meal timing plays no part. i find i sleep much better if i have a pre-bedtime snack, and sleep plays a big factor in weight loss/gain, so if anything i would say personally it helps
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I say it is better to have a healthy snack b4 bed so you don't feel deprived. Like a banana or fruit. Keep it smart-make smart choices is my humble opinion
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i work out in the eurly mornings so that i can eat a bunch of food late at night right before bed. unhealthy things like cheese pizza and television.
    It seems to me that resting or sleeping after a heavy meal is normal. its what cats do right?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Oh, I eat upward of 1400 calories sometimes right before bed.

It's personal preference. It has zero bearing on fat loss.

It's all about calorie deficit.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The only time not to eat is when you're sleeping as you'll choke
  • aubtimusprime
    aubtimusprime Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I appreciate this advice! I've never tried eating WHILE I slept but now I know better! :D
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my carbs for the day, and most of my calories for that matter at NIGHT (because this is when I like to eat and when I'm most hungry) and I've lost 112 pounds because I'm eating the right things, eating at a calorie deficit, and being physically active. It doesn't matter when you eat what you eat. (Within reason, of course!)
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is wise advice. LOL
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I see this posted (and repeated) quite a bit regarding meal timing. I'm curious to know if that's based on some scientific study or if the act of calling meal timing a myth turned into its own myth.

Not trying to start a fight, am just honestly curious. I know for my part, eating right before bed makes me feel like crap and was probably the #1 reason for me developing GERD.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Mostly myth. Meal timing plays an extremely minimal role in weight loss and shouldn't really be considered in one's weightless journey. Eat when you want, just maintain that deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry before bed, there isn't any harm eating. The only problem I've ever had is that it seems to mess with my dreaming. Creepy, creepy dreams. :tongue:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I see this posted (and repeated) quite a bit regarding meal timing. I'm curious to know if that's based on some scientific study or if the act of calling meal timing a myth turned into its own myth.

Not trying to start a fight, am just honestly curious. I know for my part, eating right before bed makes me feel like crap and was probably the #1 reason for me developing GERD.

Yes, there are studies that say meal timing influences calorie burn, however, this is such a small infinitesimal scope of the picture that it shouldn't be taken to heart and considered when deciding when to eat.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    That's my ice cream time. :drinker:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Here's a good post with links to studies, etc on meal timing.

The take away is eat in a way that makes you feel best and that you perform best with. Maintain a calorie deficit.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mom-science
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are nursing, you can eat healthy foods at anytime you feel hungry. Nursing alone will burn so much calories.

My wife lost 35 lbs on just nursing alone.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The major contributing factors are what you eat, and how much you eat. Studies have shown that not eating before bed can result in some fat burn over night after you body has used all its normally available resources to maintain functions, but its impact is really quite minimal compared to simply making sure you are not eating too many calories. I personally don't eat after 8:00 when possible because it does seem to give me the results i like to see, but i wouldn't claim it will give great results to everyone.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Myth. Eat when you want!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Some studies say it's bad because you're not burning very many calories while you sleep, so you won't burn it off very efficiently. Others say it's fine. Some studies say if you eat before bed, you can exercise before breakfast because what you ate before bed will fuel your workout. I eat before bed all the time. Can't say I'm a big success though. My mom never eats after 7, but she's losing around the same as me.