How to stop weight flucations bothering me so much?

Options
I'm a daily weigher, I feel I'll lose control if I wasn't, because of annoying flulications, ive lost a lot more than my goal weight of 75kg, I've happily been on 68-69kg for quite some time, but yesterday unexplainly I was 70kg, feeling of guilt, today I ate much less and saved 700 calories in attempt to reduce my sodium levels, but stilll 70kg today, now I gotta try harder tommorow, it's unthinkable if I don't reduce my calories, now all of a sudden I'm back on another crash weight loss diet day again, almost back on the same low calories I was on during my weight loss journey in attempt to regain control again.

Just can't tell the difference between a weight Fluctuation or worse, weight gain!

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Either:
    A) Log EVERY time you step on the scale into MFP and then look at the reports to be able to graphically see the up/down trend (which will show you how much you can vary and still be on an overall "zero movement" trend)

or

B) Don't allow yourself to weigh daily....set a purposeful once a week time to do it and only do it then.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Weightgrapher.com

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself, buy a soft tape measure and focus on that.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    A gain after one or two days is not a true gain. It is highly unlikely that you ate an extra 3500 calories in one or two days.

If you don't like seeing the daily changes, don't weigh everyday. (I don't because my body can bounce around 5 pounds in any given week.) You could weigh once a week and still keep your weight under control.

If you are consistently seeing gains when weighing once a week, you need to go back into weight loss mode. Once you get back to your goal, you can go back to your previous maintenance calories minus 100-200 calories (since you gained on the previous amount).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Breathe....and then stop weighing yourself daily.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try to be consistent. Find a calorie limit that is appropriate for your goal and then stick to it for a few weeks to see what happens.

Also, weekly weigh-ins only. I've slayed that dragon myself. It's more about seeing a trend rather than seeing changes from one day to the next.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For me, stop weighing everyday would be stop logging food in your dairy everyday, maybe 68kg was a bad number to stop as 70kg feels a lot heavier than 69kg, I havent been in my 70s for over a month
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You apparently haven't grasped the concept that our bodies can flucuated several lbs/kgs on any given day. It's normal, it doesn't mean you ate too much so you either have to educated yourself more and stop obsessing and get a grip or stop weighing yourself on a daily basis.

This is not anything out of the ordinary....this happens to every single person out there.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You apparently haven't grasped the concept that our bodies can flucuated several lbs/kgs on any given day. It's normal, it doesn't mean you ate too much so you either have to educated yourself more and stop obsessing and get a grip or stop weighing yourself on a daily basis.

Right. I'm a big fan of the daily weigh, but you have to couple it with a good understanding of the normal behavior of that sort of data.

I liken it to weather vs. climate. When Fall comes, for example, it tends to get colder (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). If you wrote down the temperature every day, it would not be unusual to see a series of decreasing numbers.

But then, if there was a hotter day or two, would you freak out and think the Earth had slipped off of its axis and Fall was not actually approaching? :laugh: Of course not! You'd understand that your periodic samples are going to have natural variance, and that it didn't mean there wasn't still an overall downward trend.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You need to seek professional help...sorry.

You are obessive and can't seem to control yourself.

You have posted various times that you can't get yourself at maitenance calories and stay there and now you freak and crash diet if you "gain" a lb or two...get help.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Right. I'm a big fan of the daily weigh, but you have to couple it with a good understanding of the normal behavior of that sort of data.

I liken it to weather vs. climate. When Fall comes, for example, it tends to get colder (in the Northern Hemisphere anyway). If you wrote down the temperature every day, it would not be unusual to see a series of decreasing numbers.

But then, if there was a hotter day or two, would you freak out and think the Earth had slipped off of its axis and Fall was not actually approaching? :laugh: Of course not! You'd understand that your periodic samples are going to have natural variance, and that it didn't mean there wasn't still an overall downward trend.

^ This is brilliant. :drinker:
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher, I feel I'll lose control if I wasn't, because of annoying flulications, ive lost a lot more than my goal weight of 75kg, I've happily been on 68-69kg for quite some time, but yesterday unexplainly I was 70kg, feeling of guilt, today I ate much less and saved 700 calories in attempt to reduce my sodium levels, but stilll 70kg today, now I gotta try harder tommorow, it's unthinkable if I don't reduce my calories, now all of a sudden I'm back on another crash weight loss diet day again, almost back on the same low calories I was on during my weight loss journey in attempt to regain control again.

Just can't tell the difference between a weight Fluctuation or worse, weight gain!

Stop weighing yourself everyday ?

Your weight will fluctuate 5+ lbs per day just from water ...so chill out. If you were a girl they can fluctuate upwards of 10lbs around their menstrual cycle.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think your question for this topic "accurately" portrays the problem. Its not the weight fluctuations that is the problem, that's normal 2-3lbs weight change, water weight and etc. Changing your view of the them and not preventing them is the solution.

Doing that is not being irresponsible, to weight self every day is not the same as logging every day to track food consumption that will affect weight. Weighing every day is just providing you with your weight its not affecting (or shouldn't) your food consumption. Try sticking to what you are doing, and not trying to adjust everyday because of scale it is not productive or healthy it seems for your. The fact that this topic was posted is evidence of that. You sound frustrated:noway: , panicky, a bit irrational and unsure:ohwell: of yourself.

Yet your accomplishment shows you have what it takes to lose weight, if you have changed eating habits and have a good exercise regimen then enjoy your achievements and continue on course! You know losing weight and maintaining can become obsessive and weighing daily can become an addiction/compulsion.

CBT is effective way to help change your thought process: http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/SelfHelpCourse.pdf
    I
    :flowerforyou:
    Renee
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    stop weighing everyday would be stop logging food in your dairy everyday

NO. I've been maintaining my weight for the last 2 1/2 years and I only weigh myself once a week or less. You can adapt.

You say you want to learn how to stop letting the fluctuations bother you. The only way to do that is to not see them. Hence...not weighing in daily.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    +1 = once a week

Otherwise you are paying attention to all the noise of bodily functions, transient water in/out the system. You lose 0.5-pound of water weight in your breath overnight. Does that indicate a trend? Unless you synchronize your bowel movements and lizard draining each day, the daily deviations are not meaningful..

The weekly measurement is a useful averaging index. The daily measurement is just "interesting" because it is so noisy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

You have posted various times that you can't get yourself at maitenance calories and stay there and now you freak and crash diet if you "gain" a lb or two...get help.

I agree with this. It is quite clear you are struggling with some form of disordered eating. You have posted on quite a few occasions on this matter. No-one here can help, you need to see a professional.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

+1. Op behavior is way too obsessive to be healthy
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day. But tbh after the first few months I found the fluctuations didn't bother me because they where just as likely to be good ones as bad ones. I have recorded "losses" of as high as 7lb in a day and that obviously is not all fat. I would say tray and look for patterns in your fluctuations what helped me was understanding why these fluctuations where happening. In the end I found that I could actually predict and anticipate them. For example If I had a lot of salty stuff the previous day I would pretty much expect to gain weight.
  • allisonchow7
    allisonchow7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too weight myself every day, i am using a weight with body fat measurement. In fact, sometime i see my weight increase 2 lbs but my body fat is the same which means i am gaining muscle. I do cardio 45 mins daily plus a little bit of weight lifting to try building up more muscle. The doctors have been advising to measure body fat cause BMI or weight is not accurate for those who work out alot. You might be slimming down, gaining muscle but put on a little weight. Use one that could measure body fat% :)
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of the same. I started august of 2013 and have done great, but to me it isn't good enough because I'm not where I want to be, in my head it don't matter if I have 3 pounds to lose or another 100.

Anyways, eating is best medicine. Saying goes if you want something bad enough let it go, our grip is what's killing weight loss. I have to tell myself I didn't gain fat, and over and over I've been proven right. Now not saying go to town on junk food / high calorie food, but I found letting myself enjoy stuff and not thinking about food makes me happier and in return seems I still lose weight. Trust yourself a little, stop stressing about weight from day to day and say week by week or month to month. Try to look at big picture.