Dumbest comment I get told everyday about working out is...

Options

Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    "You must be obsessed!"

Um no, just because I am consistent and plan on working out for the rest of my hopefully healthy life and not just because of summer, does not make me obsessed. It just means I care about my health and appearance and think of it as positive maintenance, like brushing your teeth, bathing or challenging the intellect. etc

Getting older does not have to equate to getting decrepit
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I regularly hear about organics, sugar, and clean eating from people IRL, but it doesn't really bother me much. I amuses me more than anything else. If they really cared they would put in some work and research it.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I get this one a lot, " Do protein shakes work?"

WTF do you mean "do they work?" It's not a drug, it's food! Does your sandwich work?

^ This is hilarious! I think they want to hear that the shakes work SO well that you don't have to actually lift or do any exercise! :noway: :laugh:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I always have a copy of my fat pictures to show the " your so lucky ,you must be able to eat whatever you want " people. And my husband actually asked me who i was doing this for. And all the " i could never do that ' fill in the blank' exercise with all my joint,back,knee,fat a"% issues yea well i hurt like hell with my arthritis in every joint i have but it hurts whether i work out or not,so no excuse.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law: "Are you still on that diet?"
    Me: "It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change and, yes, I'm still doing it."

Then he laughs his *kitten* off thinking I said the funniest thing ever. I might add that the man is pushing 400lbs and has to walk with a cane because his knees are shot from carrying around that weight.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    "You must be obsessed!"

Um no, just because I am consistent and plan on working out for the rest of my hopefully healthy life and not just because of summer, does not make me obsessed. It just means I care about my health and appearance and think of it as positive maintenance, like brushing your teeth, bathing or challenging the intellect. etc

"Obsession" is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what my secret is for getting so big and strong I want to lean in really close and whisper something crazy like, "I drink my morning urine" or "I always keep a banana in my *kitten*"
  • T_Roc
    T_Roc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "You must be obsessed!"

"Obsession" is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated

Must use that
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most of my negative comments come from my co workers.

I tore one of my lifting callouses a few weeks back and .one of my older co-worker's said, well a few things:

-" This is why women shouldn't be lifting. Not only did you make your hands bleed but you are probably going to start getting bulky soon".

Then my personal favorite: "you really need to take better care of your hands doing this CrossFit business. Look at them!!! You have callouses, you ripped one of them..... someday, you are going to get a boyfriend- well maybe. Anyway, he is going to want to hold your hand and he is going to look down and see how damaged they are and LEAVE".

I proceeded to tell her that I have lost over 60 pounds doing CrossFit and that I like being strong, and I love my muscles and if a man doesn't like it, or appreciate it, I wouldn't want to be with him anyway. And she replied, well then, just be prepared to be single forever.

My dad said that to me about my gel shellecked hair when I was younger- although I think he was more or less right (well he didn't say- they'll touch my hair then leave- he just said they would want to run their hands through my hair and then wouldn't because of said gel glue holding it up right like I was in a wind tunnel- but I was bad *kitten*)

Forwhatit'sworth... my callouses have never stopped any one from loving me- it's such a tiny issue- someone who thinks that will scare someone away from this *kitten* seriously needs to reevulate the power of the booty.

Another thing.
    People realize you work out- count calories or whatever and are "healthy" all the sudden they want to talk about their green smoothies and making "healthy choices" and they have to stop eating so much "bad junk food"

It's kind of annoying. And they get all huffy when you say food isn't junk- it's just food. I always seem to find it interesting people who are not obviously- meaning physically- in great shape- maybe just a little fluffy- and have no clear work out plans- seem to have VERY strong opinions on health/unhealth food.

It always just makes me go- herm really?
  • MyHealthiestYears23
    Options
    This probably doesn't apply but its nice to vent about it...
    This happens every time I see this friend... she and I use to be the same pant size in high school "0" - we were petite, pre-pubescent little things. And then I went through college and my woman hips showed up to get ready for child bearing years. We go to the beach today and she goes "what pant size are you?" to which I reply "depends on the store.. sometimes a 6, sometimes a 3/4" -- all small sizes id like to add. and she looks at me as if to say "wow! you must have put on some weight" and says "well Im still a zero" -_- ... i happen to like my womanly hips thank you very much.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options

the night my ex proposed to me, we got into the car and he said "see? i told you that if you lost weight i'd ask you to marry me!"

I am so horrified by this. Whatever difference my boyfriend and I have, he made it clear that he loved me at 150lbs, 180lbs, 215lbs, now at 163 and ever-dropping. I'm glad he's your ex!

just one of the 37 reasons why he's an ex. and my current husband is like your boyfriend... he doesn't care what weight i am, he cares that I care
  • mefitforlife9
    mefitforlife9 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    "you should join a gym" ... REALLY - this from an overweight donut eating coworker!!! PUNCH!!!!!!!

I've lost 85 lbs so far, I think I'm doing quite well thank you with my treadmill, swimming, dvd workouts (aerobics and toning etc) I walk 4 miles every Friday and Sunday, swim most nights for up to 40 mins etc.

Maybe someday I will join a gym to get into weights to work out some (understand I'll never get it all) flab/excess skin, but I'm doing this my way, my body and I'm not in any hurry.

Wonder how many calories we would burn if we actually did punch everyone who deserved it - lol - quite a boxing match I would think!!!
  • jbake714
    jbake714 Posts: 1
    Options
    This made me laugh! What a great response that would be! :)

This was in reference to protein shakes 'working' and "Does your sandwich work?"
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My mom is CONSTANTLY badgering me, asking when I'm going to start eating "normal" again. Um, wff? I'm sorry you see any diet not rife with buttered noodles, fried chicken, gravy and dessert after EVERY meal as abnormal. I happen to LIKE chicken and vegetbles, thank you very much.

She also looooooves to repeatedly share the anecdote of her former neighbor, who bodybuilt and lifted weights. She said she got so "manly" and "buff" that the neighbor's husband became 'not man enough' for her anymore, and she left him for her trainer at her gym, and my mom is now worried that the same thing will happen to me and it will ruin my marriage. -_- I'm sure bodybuilding was SOLELY responsible for breaking up the marriage, Mom. No other issues in the relationship there, nope. :noway:
  • Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work with mostly educated women, in the medical field, more than half of which are usually "trying to lose weight." There are a lot of Advocare and Omnitrition folks there. I have weekly conversations I really enjoy.

First one:

Coworker, "you look great, are you doing Omnitirion/Advocare."

Me, "no, I can't afford $400/month vitamins"

Coworker, "So what ARE you doing?"

Me, "I eat about 1500 calories a day, run 5 miles on the elliptical four times a week, and lift hard three times a week."

Coworker, "oh" accompanied by either an eye roll, or a look like I just stole their chance to ride a pink unicorn with the Easter bunny.

Second one:

Me to coworker that has recently lost some weight, "nice work."

Coworker, "Yeah, it was really easy, I did the Omnitrition/Advocare XYZ plan and lost XX pounds in a month."

Me, "that's it? You didn't change what you were eating?"

Coworker, "no, it comes with a really easy meal guide too."

Me, "what's that like?

Coworker, "describes a lean protein and vegetable diet that equates to about 1000 calories a day"

Me, "so you are in a HUGE calorie deficit, why do you need the Advocare/Omnitirion?"

Coworker, "blank stare of hatred"
  • RedWolfDancing
    Options
    i hate it wehn people call yoga "girl exercise" I asked my BF to join me and he said how is he supposed to focus with girls in hot yoga pants?

REALLY

I wish he would go to ONE CLASS with me and see that contrary to the hype it is not young hot bodies in tight pants, and that you will seat burn calories and get a work out like u never believed, and yes possibly see some nice *kitten* in a downward dog, but thats just a bonus

I used to invite people who called me "not athletic" to take the advanced ballet class I taught. We'll see who's athletic and who isn't. In a hurry. Do I ever get this frustration. Oh sister!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i hate it wehn people call yoga "girl exercise" I asked my BF to join me and he said how is he supposed to focus with girls in hot yoga pants?

REALLY

I wish he would go to ONE CLASS with me and see that contrary to the hype it is not young hot bodies in tight pants, and that you will seat burn calories and get a work out like u never believed, and yes possibly see some nice *kitten* in a downward dog, but thats just a bonus

I used to invite people who called me "not athletic" to take the advanced ballet class I taught. We'll see who's athletic and who isn't. In a hurry. Do I ever get this frustration. Oh sister!

gurl.

I hear that.

As a dancer- I take my dance seriously- i'm a professional- not full time- but I'm still a professional. I take a LOT of classes. And we train REALLY effing hard.

I log bellydancing- because- it's what I do- and it's fairly accurate the way I do it- but people always go- oh fun. I'm like- no- not fun- puddles of sweat- screaming legs- screaming shoulders- posture you couldn't hold for minutes I held for hours.

It's work bit*ch. It's not a *oh fun*

I mean- I love it- but we WORK. Seriously. It's almost funny. but not really LOL- but that being said- I am a very talented dancer so I can't be all that mad- my work shows ;)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My overweight friend commented on my running the other day "Oh, I'd love to join you but I'll only walk. Slow. Very slow." ummm...no thanks! I enjoy my alone running time thank you!

I also told her I go very early in the morning and she said "Well, if I go with you then YOU owe me breakfast!" What???? I am NOT begging you to go, you brought it up yourself. SERIOUSLY!!!!?????
    LOL! I've started jogging. Not actually runing yet, but getting there. Anyway, my grandmother-in-law (Yep hubs' 88 yr old grandmother) who lives next door so knows when I leave, often says "Why don't you let me know sometimes? I'd like to walk to walk with you" She's so sweet that I'm trying to make time to do my workout, and still call her for a leisurely stroll at separate times.
    Tell your friend breakfast is beansprouts, kale, tofu stirfry lol

You live NEXT DOOR to your grandmother in law? OMG. My hubs grandma is still alive and I hate that woman! She is like Marie from Everybody loves Raymond except waaaaaaaay worse. She lies and then plays the victim and 99% of her family has cut her off. I would die before I moved next door to that bat! LOL! More power to you!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "You can afford to eat $FOOD."
    Yes I can, because I work my *kitten* off in the gym and doing cardio eight to ten hours a week - otherwise I'd be blown back up to my 40%+ bodyfat.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well thanks to my parent's genes passed to me, I look a lot smaller than I actually am. I also get these types of comments. My new thing I say is I am working on making muscles and upping my strength at the gym and then I flex my biceps and say I still Have work to do. It shuts them right up. As for someone trying to talk you into eating foods, I always reply with I can have whatever I want as long as I count it but I would rather eat something with vitamins that my body needs. I do not eat useless calories. I just say I hate whatever it is even if its not true. Most people do not know or care to take part in eating at a calorie deficit or building up strength and endurance. I just think in my head you poor sad little sheep.and pretend they are baahing like a little sheep that they sound like. I know it sounds mean but I only think it, its my little secret that makes me smile so I can deal with the stupid comments. :laugh: