Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Options

Replies

• Jbertak
    Options
    I'm new to this message board, but I have used MFP to log food & exercise for a long time.
    At 65, with T2 diabetes, sleep apnea and high BP, and at a lofty 424 lbs, I said to myself: "self, we're in trouble here; let's figure out a plan to work on the rest of what my be a short life." Six months of research, group meetings and testing resulted in my having sleeve surgery on Nov. 24 - day before Thanksgiving - hooray! I lost 24 lbs. pre-op and I'm down a total of 70 in the 10 weeks since the operation.
    Incredibly, I came home from my 2-night hospital stay without diabetes, without sleep apnea, and with an attitude that is focused on living a better and longer life. I walk 2 miles up and down hills daily; I've started doing strength exercises 3 days a week, and I'm itching for the weather to improve so I can get back on the golf course (walking this year) and back into my yard-work. This week I'll drop below 350 lbs. for the first time in 12 years at least - I have a very long way to go, but I'm determined to get there. My wonderful support group includes my wife (a dietitian, but as we've always agreed, NOT my dietitian - she's a retired academic) my family and a wide circle of friends who who support me with their pride and hugs. It is not easy - I miss some things, including evening cocktails and cooking elaborate meals; but that will change way down the road - or not, I'll decide that later. I can eat almost anything, just very little volume, and staying hydrated is sometimes a problem. I follow a strict eating/drinking schedule and monitor my exercise activity carefully. Last week, my Dr.cut my last 2 meds in half - we'll probably will drop them completely in 2 months. The sleeve surgery and the resulting nutrition/exercise program is working incredibly well for me. My surgeon, dietitian, hospital support group - they have all be wonderful in helping me. Anyone who wants to chat about topics raised here, reply via post or contact me a johnbertak@gmail.com.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, John... if you like to cook elaborate meals, you'll be able to do that again. There are people who have surgery and the become chefs! I would check out the websites of these guys, 2 of whom just happen to be dudes:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.com
    http://formerfatdudes.com
    http://www.chefdave.org/

if you haven't already found them. :happy:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Well done, John! Congratulations!
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your progress is inspirational, John! Congratulations and glad to see you on here.
  • Harrisol
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 12/01/10 it was the best thing I've done! I've lost 41lbs, and my weight loss is splotchy too, one week I'll loose 4 lbs next week nothing, the surgeon says I'm doing great and keep up what I've been doing. I'm really glad to see there are other sleevers here too :) add me as a friend if you would like to chat :smile:
  • angelintx
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 12/01/10 it was the best thing I've done! I've lost 41lbs, and my weight loss is splotchy too, one week I'll loose 4 lbs next week nothing, the surgeon says I'm doing great and keep up what I've been doing. I'm really glad to see there are other sleevers here too :) add me as a friend if you would like to chat :smile:
    Welcome, welcome!! Glad you found us!! Congrats on your huge success so far!!! What's your secret LOL??
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I had my surgery in October. I had a few weeks where I didn't lose any weight but my surgical team said I was doing great also. Then I was like, "In such a short amount of time, I am losing weight, what am I complaining about!" I changed some things up in my diet (added more fiber, water, protein, etc.) and I'm losing like crazy now. Keep up the good work!
  • Jbertak
    Options
    So How's Everyone Doing? First day in months with weather warm enough for me to get out in the yard and work and get over to the driving range and hit some golf balls. I walk every day, but some days I look like South Park going up against the cold and wind. I generally don't like winter, but having sleeve surgery the day before Thanksgiving gave me a mission this winter. So far, I'm 79 lbs. down (55 post op) and exercising like crazy. Keeping the calories at about 1100 and the protein at 100 really hasn't been all that hard for me. I eat on a strict 4 hr. schedule and log every bite honestly. I haven't felt this good in many years - even my 4-year-old grandson noticed last week - "Pop-pop," he said, "you're shrinking!" Then he gave me a big hug. I'm planning on being around for a lot more of those hugs as he grows up. I think of my sleeve as a passage to a brighter and longer future. So what's up with the rest of you sleevers?
  • Harrisol
    Options
    thanks every one! I have to make sure that I exercise 3xs a week or more and if I bite it I write it! I was writing down all calories and protiens down until I found this program and this is so much easier I love it!
  • angelintx
    Options
    I had my surgery in October. I had a few weeks where I didn't lose any weight but my surgical team said I was doing great also. Then I was like, "In such a short amount of time, I am losing weight, what am I complaining about!" I changed some things up in my diet (added more fiber, water, protein, etc.) and I'm losing like crazy now. Keep up the good work!
    You have been doing amazing, and I'm checking out your diary to see how I can work in some of your good choices to produce better results! Thanks for being a great role model!! :bigsmile:
  • angelintx
    Options
    So How's Everyone Doing? First day in months with weather warm enough for me to get out in the yard and work and get over to the driving range and hit some golf balls. I walk every day, but some days I look like South Park going up against the cold and wind. I generally don't like winter, but having sleeve surgery the day before Thanksgiving gave me a mission this winter. So far, I'm 79 lbs. down (55 post op) and exercising like crazy. Keeping the calories at about 1100 and the protein at 100 really hasn't been all that hard for me. I eat on a strict 4 hr. schedule and log every bite honestly. I haven't felt this good in many years - even my 4-year-old grandson noticed last week - "Pop-pop," he said, "you're shrinking!" Then he gave me a big hug. I'm planning on being around for a lot more of those hugs as he grows up. I think of my sleeve as a passage to a brighter and longer future. So what's up with the rest of you sleevers?
    79 pounds .... WOW!!!! You're rocking the weight loss Pop-pop!! :bigsmile: Seriously, congratulations and good going that you're taking your health seriously so you can be there for your family and enjoy more out of life.

I've kicked up my exercise a notch (now that Dallas isn't pretending it is in the Antarctic) and I'm adding more fiber and protein to my diet. I have been having no problem getting in lots of protein in the natural food forms, but I find that the caloric content of those choices sometimes push me over my limit. Therefore, I've been getting in a protein drink as a snack and have found that I'm not as hungry as I was with my other snacks.

In other news, it's tax prep weekend at my house. :sick: However, I will find some time to enjoy the beautiful weather we are experiencing with my kiddos maybe walking, throwing a ball around, or riding bikes -- we'll see!
  • ChrisPC
    Options
    Hello,
    I just joined this group. I had my Sleeve done 7-28-10 and so far I lost over 80 pounds.
    I am going to college and started a PE class and signed up with a fitness club. Two weeks ago
    I was in a car accident and can't work out right now. It is very frustrating, because the daily workout
    made me feel good. I am trying to start something so I will feel like I am doing something good for
    myself.
  • angelintx
    Options
    Hello,
    I just joined this group. I had my Sleeve done 7-28-10 and so far I lost over 80 pounds.
    I am going to college and started a PE class and signed up with a fitness club. Two weeks ago
    I was in a car accident and can't work out right now. It is very frustrating, because the daily workout
    made me feel good. I am trying to start something so I will feel like I am doing something good for
    myself.
    Welcome!! Congrats on all your success so far!! You're doing an amazing job!! I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident, but hope that you'll be back to health quickly!! Meanwhile, hang in there!!
  • shannygoat
    Options
    I had the sleeve 3 weeks ago, too! I'm supposed to be on soft foods, but I'm not tolerating them too well, so I'm sticking with the puree more on the liquidy side. Reflux is pretty sucky though. If you can't eat the meat whole like that, I suggest putting it in the blender. It's a lot easier on your new stomach. You're still getting in the same amount of protein, but it's just easier to digest.

My weight loss is about 3 pounds a week now. I think I lost 20 pounds the first two weeks. I prefer the slower pace. When it was coming off so quickly I felt so weak. Now, it's easier to handle.

Good luck!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Good for you Shanny! I had mine in October and can pretty much eat what I want but meat is still difficult, as well as uncooked veggies. It will get better. ;)
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. :(
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Awwwww you're welcome! Thank you!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    That's the only way to be! Great job!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    I'm so proud of you John! You are an inspiration to all of us! Deciding to have the surgery is really about beginning a new lifestyle, and you have to really want it! Once the weight comes off and/or you can eat more normally, the desire to reach and maintain your goal needs to kick in to keep you motivated. There are people that gain the weight back by stretching their stomachs back out, and I don't want to be one of those people. I don't ever want to go back there again! Good luck and God bless!
  • angelintx
    Options
    I had the sleeve 3 weeks ago, too! I'm supposed to be on soft foods, but I'm not tolerating them too well, so I'm sticking with the puree more on the liquidy side. Reflux is pretty sucky though. If you can't eat the meat whole like that, I suggest putting it in the blender. It's a lot easier on your new stomach. You're still getting in the same amount of protein, but it's just easier to digest.

My weight loss is about 3 pounds a week now. I think I lost 20 pounds the first two weeks. I prefer the slower pace. When it was coming off so quickly I felt so weak. Now, it's easier to handle.

Good luck!
    Welcome to the group, Shanny!! Congrats on your surgery and getting those pounds off!!! May you continue to have great success! :flowerforyou: