calorie question

Options
Why am I only given 1550 calories a day? Will that fluctuate? When and how?

Replies

• MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is set up based on the information you provided to MFP when setting up your profile. Your calorie goal is what you are supposed to eat before exercise is factored in, when doing the MFP method you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Your calorie goal is based on your height, weight, age, activity level, and your desired loss per week that you provided.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The number is based on the activity level you selected, the amount per week you picked to lose, your height, weight, age and gender.

That is the amount of calories MFP wants you to eat before exercise. When you log exercise, you will be given more calories to eat. Since MFP and exercise machines tend to overestimate calorie burns, it is generally recommended that you only eat 50-75% of the calories back.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

That's calculated from what you said about your activity level, how fast you want to lose and your height/weight/age.

It'll change if you re-run your goals having lost weight or got a more active routine.

If you do exercise that you log it goes up, by the amount of calories that you log.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The number is based on the activity level you selected, the amount per week you picked to lose, your height, weight, age and gender.

That is the amount of calories MFP wants you to eat before exercise. When you log exercise, you will be given more calories to eat. Since MFP and exercise machines tend to overestimate calorie burns, it is generally recommended that you only eat 50-75% of the calories back.
    ^This.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Because that is what you allowed yourself. MFP is a tool and a calculator controlled by you, it isn't a dictator in control of your life.