Under Dr. Threat

Options
2»

Replies

• GetFitNicky
    GetFitNicky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Log. Log. Log.

Best wishes! You can do it--and kiddos are the best motivation.
  • Vupe
    Vupe Posts: 80
    Options
    Oh no, say yes to food! I just tried this Ahi Tuna Chard Wrap recipe and it actually tastes like a juicy steak yet so low in calories. I never thought vegetables and fish could taste so good. Maybe the key is to try new things...best of luck to you. Ad me if you wish, I am not the best coach or mentor but I can share low carb recipes and ask what you are up to.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You may look at my current profile picture and ask "Who am I to talk about losing weight because I appear thin." However, I have not always been thin. About three years ago on July 1, 2011, I almost died of congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy because I weighed 393 lbs. I was sent by ambulance from a Cocoa Beach Florida walk in urgent care center to Cape Canaveral Hospital since my blood pressure on that day was 222/177. I had gone to the walk in urgent care clinic becautse I had a bad cough for more than three months. I thought it was pneumonia. I was wrong it was pulmonary edema because I had consumed junk food, fried food, and McDonald's' food...

On Saturday morning July 2, 2011, the attending doctor basically told me why I had been coughing and that this is my last chance to loose weight or die. At that moment, I decided to change -- not so much at first because I feared dying myself but rather I feared the fact that my sister would have to deal with the aftermath of my death.

So I started to cut back on my calories and start reading the nutrition labels on foods and began to phase out fried food and junk food. About a month later, I started working out at the Cocoa Florida Y. In September 2011, I had failed a stress test because of the damage I had done to myself as a consequence of weighing 393 lbs and I found out that I had to undergo Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) implantation surgery as a precaution to prevent me from dying of sudden cardiac death. At this point, I had lost over 100 lbs but I felt I needed to do a better of job of tracking my calories. So about a month before my ICD surgery, I became a member of My Fitness Pal. Then, I was able to have the surgery done in January 2012. Before my ICD surgery my heart's efficiency rating was between 27-35 percent. But I did not let this setback stop me from losing weight and working out.

After my ICD implantation surgery, I continued to eat better and workout... I continued to track my calories and started tracking my cardiovascular exercise on My Fitness Pal. I was able to take the extra step on no longer eating any red meat what so ever. Things started to get better and for over the last 18 months I have been able to maintain my weight at between 175-182 lbs.

In addition, I was able to significantly improve my cardiovascular conditioning. As of December 12, 2013, my heart's efficiency rating had gone up to 65 percent which is now within normal range. I have to admit that I owe my cardiovascular improvement to my favorite form of exercise which is Zumba.

While I still have some residual damage, my congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy are basically in remission. I am better off today than I was on July 1, 2011.

I have two messages to you: (A) I know that it is not easy but, it is possible to lose weight; and (B) please don't wait until you weigh at or above 393 lbs before you decide to change. I was lucky that I did not die on July 1, 2011... Please don't take that chance...

I am not saying all of this to be condescending... I know that the exact way I had lost weight and improved my heart's conditioning is not right for everyone. But, you need to find a way of losing weight that is right for you.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You may look at my current profile picture and ask "Who am I to talk about losing weight because I appear thin." However, I have not always been thin. About three years ago on July 1, 2011, I almost died of congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy because I weighed 393 lbs. I was sent by ambulance from a Cocoa Beach Florida walk in urgent care center to Cape Canaveral Hospital since my blood pressure on that day was 222/177. I had gone to the walk in urgent care clinic becautse I had a bad cough for more than three months. I thought it was pneumonia. I was wrong it was pulmonary edema because I had consumed junk food, fried food, and McDonald's' food...

On Saturday morning July 2, 2011, the attending doctor basically told me why I had been coughing and that this is my last chance to loose weight or die. At that moment, I decided to change -- not so much at first because I feared dying myself but rather I feared the fact that my sister would have to deal with the aftermath of my death.

So I started to cut back on my calories and start reading the nutrition labels on foods and began to phase out fried food and junk food. About a month later, I started working out at the Cocoa Florida Y. In September 2011, I had failed a stress test because of the damage I had done to myself as a consequence of weighing 393 lbs and I found out that I had to undergo Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) implantation surgery as a precaution to prevent me from dying of sudden cardiac death. At this point, I had lost over 100 lbs but I felt I needed to do a better of job of tracking my calories. So about a month before my ICD surgery, I became a member of My Fitness Pal. Then, I was able to have the surgery done in January 2012. Before my ICD surgery my heart's efficiency rating was between 27-35 percent. But I did not let this setback stop me from losing weight and working out.

After my ICD implantation surgery, I continued to eat better and workout... I continued to track my calories and started tracking my cardiovascular exercise on My Fitness Pal. I was able to take the extra step on no longer eating any red meat what so ever. Things started to get better and for over the last 18 months I have been able to maintain my weight at between 175-182 lbs.

In addition, I was able to significantly improve my cardiovascular conditioning. As of December 12, 2013, my heart's efficiency rating had gone up to 65 percent which is now within normal range. I have to admit that I owe my cardiovascular improvement to my favorite form of exercise which is Zumba.

While I still have some residual damage, my congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy are basically in remission. I am better off today than I was on July 1, 2011.

I have two messages to you: (A) I know that it is not easy but, it is possible to lose weight; and (B) please don't wait until you weigh at or above 393 lbs before you decide to change. I was lucky that I did not die on July 1, 2011... Please don't take that chance...

I am not saying all of this to be condescending... I know that the exact way I had lost weight and improved my heart's conditioning is not right for everyone. But, you need to find a way of losing weight that is right for you.

Thank you for this inspirational story.
  • pamleac
    pamleac Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat your water:

Cucumbers 96% water Lettuce 95% water Celery 95% water Radishes 95% water
    Tomatoes 94% water Green Peppers 93% water Cauliflower 92% Watermelon 91%
    Spinach 91% Strawberries 91% Broccoli 90% Grapefruit 90% Baby Carrots 90%
    Cantaloupe 90%

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20709014,00.html
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a wake up call. :) Welcome and best wishes!