Losing Weight Without Counting Calories

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That the question I have. Yes it helps to count calories to lose weight and maintain but are you really building good healthy eating habits.

Depends on your definition of "healthy eating habits".

For me "healthy eating habits" is:

Do I eat primarily nutritious food that keeps me satisfied and my body running well?
    Do I eat in a way that allows me to enjoy the sweeter foods in life, devoid of the old feelings of guilt and shame I use to have about falling off non-existent "wagons"?
    Do I eat in a way that allows me to follow my actual hunger cues, not just eating for the sake of meal timing?
    Do I eat in a way that allows me total freedom to enjoy food without becoming a slave to it.
    Do I eat in a way that is sustainable and doable for my weight loss and maintenance goals?

If the answer is "yes" to all those, then it's all good. Those are important to me. I imagine other people define "healthy eating" differently.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    umm....I see "forum Nazi"...:huh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight in the past without counting calories , but I haven't maintained without counting calories.

I have. Not for good, obviously, but for 5 years, and I'm pretty sure my weight gain would have happened if I'd been in the practice of counting. (That is, for various reasons I stopped what I was doing and stopped weighing myself and I have no reason to assume I wouldn't have stopped counting.)

That said, I enjoy counting for now, and find it more flexible than what I was doing to lose without counting. I so far don't get why some find it onerous--it just seems to fit well with my personality and hasn't interfered at all with me having a positive relationship to food--but I am interested in the various ways people find to lose weight and maintain a weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That the question I have. Yes it helps to count calories to lose weight and maintain but are you really building good healthy eating habits.

That depends completely on the individual. If you let any system (i.e. diet) do the thinking for you, then no. Improving habits requires people to be somewhat self-aware.
    I never see things like this here but I will often 'post-log'. I'll eat what I think is a reasonable amount across the day and then log it all at the end and see how I did with 'winging it'. It's really enlightening. I find that left to my own internal cues, my calorie level varies a lot day to day, and it doesn't have anything to do with my activity levels. E.g., if I'm shooting for maybe 1400 on average, I might naturally have 1000 one day and 1800 the next. I think it's more natural to follow your body's cues than an app's. So if I've had 1000 calories and feel satisfied, I go to bed, I don't break out the peanut butter. If I've had 1600 and feel hungry, I'll eat.

Books on intuitive eating suggest that how we learned to not hear our bodies' cues are by ignoring them over and over. I feel like slavishly following one daily calorie goal just further reinforces ignoring your body's natural signals.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I honestly think that calorie counting has the potential to trigger an eating disorder and should only be used to get to a healthy weight WHILE learning how to effectively maintain a healthy weight without calorie counting.

I think this is as silly as those who act as if calorie counting is the only right way at MFP.

For me (and certainly not everyone, since people are different), controlling my weight without calorie counting is far more likely to lead to some kind of undereating or ED-like obsession (although I don't think I'm prone to undereating or binging EDs anyway, so figure I'll be safe either way). When I logged how I ate when losing without calorie counting, my idea of a weight-loss-oriented healthy diet had calories that were unreasonably low, even compared to the 1250 I started with on MFP. And I know you and I disagree on this, but I really don't see demonizing specific foods as particularly healthy. It never triggered anything in me since like I said I'm not prone to that--I'd decide, eh, I want some pasta carbonara on rare occasion and get back to my plan the next day without feeling guilty--but I can certainly see someone prone to those triggers being triggered by any rule-based plan as much or more than by calorie counting. They aren't really that different.

Which doesn't make either method superior--people have to decide what works for them and part of that is knowing yourself.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    I never see things like this here but I will often 'post-log'. I'll eat what I think is a reasonable amount across the day and then log it all at the end and see how I did with 'winging it'. It's really enlightening. I find that left to my own internal cues, my calorie level varies a lot day to day, and it doesn't have anything to do with my activity levels. E.g., if I'm shooting for maybe 1400 on average, I might naturally have 1000 one day and 1800 the next. I think it's more natural to follow your body's cues than an app's. So if I've had 1000 calories and feel satisfied, I go to bed, I don't break out the peanut butter. If I've had 1600 and feel hungry, I'll eat.

Books on intuitive eating suggest that how we learned to not hear our bodies' cues are by ignoring them over and over. I feel like slavishly following one daily calorie goal just further reinforces ignoring your body's natural signals.

Yep. I never read a book on intuitive eating, but being educated about it now it just floors me how much of the tenants I adhere to pretty naturally now are reflected in those books.

People I know who are "naturally thin" don't eat on prescribed schedules. Obviously they don't calorie count. Some are more aware of what they eat than others, but nobody that I'm close to who fits the "natural thin" category eats in a way that dieters do. They don't seem preoccupied about the next meal, nor do they seem terrified of feeling hunger. Funny enough, the thinnest I've ever been in my life was when I started eating like that. It felt "natural".
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This is really interesting.

I don't think I could post-log in a way that would let me check my own intuition, because knowing that I'm watching what I eat and the fact that I know pretty well what the calories are tends to guide my choices so strongly and couldn't turn off the superego or whatever you want to call it. At this point I suspect (maybe this is hubris?) that I could eat without logging for a week with someone tracking me and then when it was measured after the fact I'd come in pretty close to what I do at MFP.

The exception, most likely, would be that I'd eat fewer of my exercise calories than I currently do and closer to my base goal. This is actually related to why calorie counting for me isn't so much ignoring my natural signals or -- on the other hand -- recognizing that my body's natural signals are so strongly influenced by things other than hunger.

In a way on MFP I largely follow my personal rules that I used for years when losing and maintaining without counting (rules I personally think are healthy as well as conducive to weight loss), but I use counting both to keep myself kind of interested (I'm weird or just nerdy and like being able to calculate stuff and experiment, especially when it's about ME) and to give myself permission to loosen up some about those rules (although I was never especially rigid).

Edit: For the record I'm not obsessed with my next meal (certainly no more than I ever was, which might not be saying much, I guess, as I'm kind of a foodie, annoying as that term is) and, most significantly, definitely am not scared of hunger.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Several people have asked how I lost over 100 lbs not counting a single calorie. I'll explain here. And if you're losing, or maintaining, without calorie counting please share your methods. Because, in my experience, there are people here who are searching for alternatives.

I don't like calorie counting. I'm glad I learned the basic tenants of it back as a teenager but it isn't something I ever wanted to do long term. That's not the kind of relationship I like having with food.

Obviously you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Calories counting just is not the only road to Rome. It took me many years of trial and error before I found a way that works perfectly for me. Here's what I'm doing:

- The base of my diet consists of foods that I enjoy, are nutritious, but almost never overeat on. I'd say 80% of my diet is made up of meat/seafood, vegetables, healthy fats, fruits, and moderate amount of diary. These foods keep me mentally and physically content, but I do not gorge on them.

- I allow myself every other food, as much as I want...when I have it. I have an enormous sweet tooth, which is the main culprit in my weight struggles through the years. I'm not a half a cup of ice cream or two Oreo cookies a day man. My definition of moderation is this: limit my interactions with foods that I tend to overeat, but when I do have them, enjoy them as much as I want. As. Much. As. I. Want. No guilt, no shame. I don't believe in moralizing food choices anymore, or adhere to concepts like "cheat" days.

- I learned the difference between hunger and cravings. Real hunger is when your body is ready for nourishment and can be satisfied with a variety of choices. A craving is for something specific. For example I learned that I am NEVER "hungry" for dessert foods. I crave cookies, ice cream, cakes etc, but when truly hungry my mind and body don't scream for those foods to satiate it. I follow hunger the majority of the time.

- Mealing timing means nothing to me. This ties into real hunger vs cravings.

- Last, but definitely not least, I practice intermittent fasting. This is where my deficit comes in. I started off at a high weight of 320lbs but started the IF last year at 286 lbs. Right now, during weight loss, I throw in fasting days as I see fit; some weeks I have none. But my maintenance however will be more structured down to a 5:2 or 6:1 plan. It's a lot easier for me to severely restrict once or twice a week than moderately restrict seven days a week. I actually enjoy my fasting days now. Fasting doesn't lead me into binging behavior or anything like that. I can't speak for those for whom it does. What IFing does do is allow my incredible freedom the majority of the week to not think about food in terms of anything but...food.

If you're looking for more info on IFing there are some MFP groups for intermittent fasters that deal with people doing all various kinds of IFing.

Losing this way has not produced linear results. I'll lose a lot one week, a little another week, none another week, and even gain some weeks. In the end it all evens out on a downward trend.
    Love the fasting lifestyle.

L O V E IT!!!!!!!!!!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    It's totally possible. I lost 50lbs in the 2 years after I was diagnosed with diabetes simply by keeping track of my carbs and exercising 3-4 days a week.

I've had a lot of success in the past restricting carbs. I actually really enjoy that way of eating.

The only issue is that while it helped me kick "additions" to almost all high carbohydrate foods, it didn't help much with the sweets. I could abstain for long periods of time but whenever I'd inevitably let them in, eventually I'd lose control. IFing has helped me to merge a lower carb way of eating with my enjoyment of cookies, cake, and ice cream, without any restrictions in amount (when I have them), and still achieve my goals. It's very difficult for me though to gain weight on a strict low carb because I don't have a tendency to overeat on low carbohydrate foods.
  • albayin
    Options
    The old but true cliché: everyone is different.

I practice IF as well but my observation is I won't lose until I watch what I eat on non fasting days...I still haven't built the good habit yet.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on 7/7 and prior to my R knee micro fracture surgery I got sick and lost 2 lbs by eating espresso coffee with almond milk for breakfast, lunch cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit n dinner chicken soup with crackers. Snack saltines with ginger ale. My first day of surgery I fasted n the following day due to nausea. As of yesterday, I am 5 lbs down. I started using cpm machine exercising R leg with L leg raises to preserve my muscle. This is a workout on its own. I don't count calories for now but mainly focus on eating similar foods with less work since I will be on crutches for 6-7 weeks.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

I practice IF as well but my observation is I won't lose until I watch what I eat on non fasting days...I still haven't built the good habit yet.

Is that you in your profile pic? If so, and it's a current reflection, you're pretty lean already. I can definitely see why it would require tighter control to get even leaner.
  • albayin
    Options

Is that you in your profile pic? If so, and it's a current reflection, you're pretty lean already. I can definitely see why it would require tighter control to get even leaner.

I don't look this lean every day...that was one of the "best shots" for the past couple of weeks. LOL

I carry my fat on the lower half...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Serious question for all those complaining about OP not counting Calories (one feature) on MFP...

Does everyone here utilize every single feature available on MFP?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have a serious question about this topic. Why do you use MFP if this is your chosen method of weight loss and/or maintenance? I was under the impression that MFP is a self-described calorie tracking app.

This.

It's great you lost a bunch of weight and all, but why are you here, on a site that is specifically meant to assist in counting calories...if you don't like counting calories? :huh:

My question as well.
  • albayin
    Options
    I have a serious question about this topic. Why do you use MFP if this is your chosen method of weight loss and/or maintenance? I was under the impression that MFP is a self-described calorie tracking app.

This.

It's great you lost a bunch of weight and all, but why are you here, on a site that is specifically meant to assist in counting calories...if you don't like counting calories? :huh:

My question as well.

It's a fitness forum and site. why should it only allow people who count calories? Fitness is not just about counting calories, right?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    The "why are you using a website that has more features than a calorie counting app when you're not calorie counting" questions are hilarious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 14 months now without logging save for a spot check here. I did log consistently when I was losing weight which basically helped me understand portion control as well as being able to mentally "log" my intake.

- I'm very much mindful of what I eat...when I sit down to a meal or have a snack or whatever, I am aware of roughly how many calories I am consuming even though I am not physically logging them.

- I use a food scale to weigh out portions of most things and measuring utensils for just about everything else. Even when I'm not using these things, I've gotten to the point where I can eyeball most things pretty well (except for pasta and nuts for some reason)

- I don't eat out often. When I do, it tends to be more high end type of establishments that offer up some pretty good options nutritionally speaking and they also tend to be more reasonable in the serving size department. If I go out for New Mexican food (local stuff), I know it's going to be a calorie bomb so I usually only eat about half of what is on my plate.

- My diet (noun) no longer resembles anything remotely close to the SAD. I consume a good 4-6 servings of vegetables per day and 2-3 servings of fruit. I eat quite a bit of fish and other lean protein sources. I cook primarily with olive and avocado oils and some coconut oil; in that RE, I've also discovered that I can make delicious meals using a couple teaspoons of quality oil vs dumping in in by the Tablespoon full before. Most of my fat intake comes from these oils as well as eating nuts and avocados and fatty fish. I eat starches and grains all of the time, but in much smaller portions than I used to....they don't make up the bulk of my meals like they used to. While I most definitely not processed food free, much of my intake comes from whole foods and most meals are prepared with whole foods and minimally processed foods. I keep my "junk" food intake to a minimum.

- I do let myself live a little...I love a good holiday, birthday, rando weekend BBQ, etc. These things didn't make me fat...eating like every day was a special occasion is what made me fat.

- I rock my fitness and remain very active. I generally ride 50 - 60 miles per week and hit the weight room a few nights per week. On top of that, I do all kinds of little things to improve my NEAT like parking further away at the office and at stores, using the 1st floor break room and restroom when I'm working on the 3rd floor, etc. I also walk my dog 3-5 days per week for about 3 miles and I like getting in a little golf from time to time. In the summer months I enjoy a good dip in the pool and have no problem knocking out a good 1/2 mile swim on a whim.

Calorie counting was a tremendously useful tool in helping me change my eating habits and helping me to realize how much I was eating and how much I needed to eat...but by no means is calorie counting a "lifestyle"...at least not one that I would ever want to live long term.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people that prefer to micromanage their calories also manage their finances on a tight leash, as in you check your balances before spending or you hold yourself to a tight budget like you do with your eating.

It always confounded me that I can 'wing it' just fine with money but not nearly so easily with food. I have a feeling for when my spending inches up and I just choose to slow it down. I guess I have more fear of being destitute than fat. :laugh:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many people that prefer to micromanage their calories also manage their finances on a tight leash, as in you check your balances before spending or you hold yourself to a tight budget like you do with your eating.

It always confounded me that I can 'wing it' just fine with money but not nearly so easily with food. I have a feeling for when my spending inches up and I just choose to slow it down. I guess I have more fear of being destitute than fat. :laugh:
    I hadn't thought of that. When I was willy-nilly my credit was crap and I weighed 335 pounds. When I got things on a tighter leash and started paying attention, my FICO went over 820 and I retired early. Now I've lost almost 40 pounds. Probably not coincidences.