I don't feel full.

A lot of people always say you should eat until you're full. Well I never get full. Unless I eat a whole cake. I do get hunger cues though, but not satiated cues. Sometimes, when it actually DOES work, I have to be standing to feel the cue. I just don't feel it AT ALL when I sit down. :huh: Has anyone else experienced this? :ohwell:

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I rarely feel full.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    A lot of people always say you should eat until you're full.

A lot of people are overweight.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Generally when I'm eating a deficit, I only feel full right after a meal. I make giant salads and bowls of green vegetables just to have volume. I can't trust myself to stop when I feel full and it's a big part of why I'm here.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    don't eat to feel full - eat not to be hungry. just a thought...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Eat until satisfied not until you're stuffed full.
  • Okay, rephrase... I don't feel satisfied. Lol. Like when you sit down at a meal and some people know when to stop eating. I don't get that feeling.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    There"s a difference between physical hunger and mental hunger. I have the same problem -- I never 'feel' satiated, even when my stomach is stuffed to the point of pain. I want to keep eating. I just ignore it.
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    I suggest you to eat slowly. when you will eat slowly, it takes time and you will feel full. The main reason of eating so much is eating so fast. If we eat fast, we don't understand that our stomach is full.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I haven't used it much but the app "No More Diets" by Dr. Jenn Berman is supposed to train you on how to do intuitive eating and get in touch with your hunger signals.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Drink a bouillon or a tea before your meal.
    Eat slowly, eat enough Protein, lots of low cal veggies and some healthy fats. Carbs are OK, but grain carbs cause more hunger in some people (ME!)

And then there really are people, that don't have a full button. Then you need to count your cals.
  • And then there really are people, that don't have a full button. Then you need to count your cals.

Me being one of them I think. :wink: atleast I think my full button is severely distorted.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Eating full doesn't mean that you eat food till your stomach is full and tighten with having lots of food in it. Eating full means till unless your hunger remove, eating too much will give rise to gain muscles and weight, and it was not good for health.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    It looks like you're just getting started. It takes time for your stomach to shrink, and become accustomed to eating less. The more accurate you are with your calorie and activity levels, the easier it will be to feel satisfied(not stuffed). Accuracy is everything. Hitting your protein & fiber goals will help too.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    I find drinking a lot of water before / during my meal really helps.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    some people don't have reliable hunger/full cues. You may be one of those people - sometimes people don't have them at all, or it may be something that you learn with time (some people lose the ability due to habitual overeating - but it can usually be relearned).

Set a calorie goal on MFP that gives you a sensible deficit, then eat that number of calories. Stop eating when you've eaten the right number of calories. Include plenty of protein and veggies in each meal (these help you to feel full) plus drinking enough water - also include fat and carbohydrate in your diet, but be careful with portion control with those. Weigh your food so you're sure you're eating the number of calories you think you are.

It's likely that you'll find that after getting into the habit of eating the right number of calories each meal, including enough protein, fat and veggies, that your stomach/brain relearn the hunger/full signals and you should start to feel full on the right number of calories. Not everyone can learn this though - if a particular part of the hypothalamus isn't working right, hunger/full signals don't happen. But that's pretty rare - it is something that most people can relearn. In any case, as long as you eat the right number of calories, you should be able to lose fat and maintain a healthy weight long term.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    You're not alone.

I almost never feel satisfied by a meal.
    I almost never feel full.

No real tips. I try to drink water with my meals to fill the belly some. I always have to try to remember to eat slower. Put the fork down between bites. That kind of thing.
  • Ashleigh_H1
    Ashleigh_H1 Posts: 2 Member
    Drop carbs & sugar and eat fats like coconut oil and avocado's etc and you should start to feel full.
  • Awww! Thank you all for caring!! :flowerforyou:

But I'm NOT new to MFP. Infact I've been here since I was 18, and am now 21. New profile.

I am well aware of everything that was suggested ex drinking water, eating enough fibre and protein (btw, I WILL NOT give up my carbs, I love bread and potatoes and bananas and I must have fibre, I have a seriously lazy digestive track)

I am not hungry because I'm eating too little or anything. This was merely an observation I made. And wanted to know if there are others who's satisfied-button is broken. :laugh:

I've noticed I only get hungry at eating times and after that it passed. Wether I ate or not. One poster said satisfied means untill the hunger is gone. If I did that, I would be undereating! Because as soon as I take one bite of food the hunger pangs cease immediately. And don't return until the next meal time.

Thanks for all the help!! I suppose I'll be on MFP for the rest of my life which is alright.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    It does depend on what you eat. Try eating chicken breast and you'll feel like not bothering very quickly.
    A lot of people always say you should eat until you're full.

A lot of people are overweight.

:laugh: Boom! Headshot!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    I rarely feel full. I eat until I am no longer hungry.