Disappointed

Options
13»

Replies

• MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake? You could just be retaining water weight. I notice on days after I've had a salty day or two days, my weight won't go down. Few days later after some cleaner eating, it drops.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?
    You're expecting weightloss to be linear and it isn't

exactly.

I weighed just about daily to create this chart last year for posts just like this one:
    29l0bqr.jpg
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A fair bit of grub over the weekend may have caused you to miss your deficit this week. It may also have had excess sodium, causing you to be a little bloating/retain some water. Mostly, though, weight loss is rarely linear. I had a few months of consistent weight loss. Then I started seeing the same 1-3 lbs go up and down for a week or two. Then, overnight, I would be down 4-6 lbs and keep it off. Then I would lose 2 more. Then lose and gain the same 2 lbs for a week or two until suddenly, boom, 4 lbs down.

I weigh myself every day, but I could see how that could crush someone's soul.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

THIS ^^^

2 weeks is a blip on the screen.

Things to consider: what are your goals? Are you grossly overweight with much fat to lose or are you leanER and seeking body comp changes? how much are you eating and what is the quality? Are you working out too much for the energy consumption? those last 2 points are especially important if you are leanER and seeking body comp changes vs. having significant fat to lose.

with all that said: when u start a new workout program especially if it's much diff from your prior activity level your body is adjusting. VERY common to add water and glycogen when starting a new program - strength training involves tearing and repairing muscle which = pumped with water.

And! Stay off the scale so darn often

Im grossly overweight and trying to get rid of the fat whilst gently toning along the way. It is a new program which is a lot more weight training than I have ever done in the past.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

exactly.

I weighed just about daily to create this chart last year for posts just like this one:
    29l0bqr.jpg

This chart is incredible.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    A fair bit of grub over the weekend may have caused you to miss your deficit this week. It may also have had excess sodium, causing you to be a little bloating/retain some water. Mostly, though, weight loss is rarely linear. I had a few months of consistent weight loss. Then I started seeing the same 1-3 lbs go up and down for a week or two. Then, overnight, I would be down 4-6 lbs and keep it off. Then I would lose 2 more. Then lose and gain the same 2 lbs for a week or two until suddenly, boom, 4 lbs down.

I weigh myself every day, but I could see how that could crush someone's soul.

I think I might just expect too much too quickly.

I did eat a lot over the weekend :/
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

It seems so simple when you say it like that.

It really is that simple. After losing 99 lbs, I'm surprised you're so disappointed because you didn't lose weight this week. If you haven't encountered this before, you should expect many weeks of maintenance and even gains. It's all part of this non linear process. You're doing great, just keep at it and don't let these particular weeks get you down.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

It seems so simple when you say it like that.

It really is that simple. After losing 99 lbs, I'm surprised you're so disappointed because you didn't lose weight this week. If you haven't encountered this before, you should expect many weeks of maintenance and even gains. It's all part of this non linear process. You're doing great, just keep at it and don't let these particular weeks get you down.

Thanks, you have all been great. I would be lost without MFP
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had 3 weeks where scale didn't move I carried on doing what I was doing and the scale dropped 2lbs on 3rd week so keep going it will budge soon
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't normally see gym results straight away - takes my body a few days of resting. I think there may be something in that "water retention" theory!
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    It seems Water Retention is a real thing I've always been sceptical.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It seems Water Retention is a real thing I've always been sceptical.

Try taking a few days off from the exercise (adjust your calories accordingly) and see if the scales move.