Is this okay?

Options
13»

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    unsolicited advice from creepy grunty man ...

eww

What about unsolicited advice from just a creepy man? Or just a grunty man? :bigsmile:
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Based only on what you have written I guess I really don’t see the problem with giving someone pointers. If he didn’t continue on with any unwanted conversation or additional things that you should be doing, didn’t touch you, didn’t make any derogatory remarks …. Sounds like he was just trying to help you out with your technique. It happens all the time between members of the opposite sex as well as members of the same sex. It’s doesn’t always mean that you are hitting on someone. And even if he was hitting on you as long as it didn’t continue and make you uncomfortable whats the big deal?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    There was a new guy at the gym this morning. Usually my time at the gym is peaceful enough. I am usually the only female, but that's not a problem for me. I am in my zone, do my thing get in, get out and get on with my life. The new guy this morning was grunting and moaning loud enough that I could here him from 40 feet away with my ear buds in. That's fine. Some people are more vocal than others and so I just block it out. Everything was fine until new guy struts over to me while I am doing incline chest presses, gets my attention and says, "On your next set you should turn your elbows in a little more to change the lift and work on your lats. That would give you that sexy, straight V in the back." I didn't even know what to say and it kind of irritated me. Was this guy out of line or am I being too sensitive?

one of the many reasons I can't see myself EVER going to a gym LOL
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Not such a big deal. He was just trying to help you with form and explain what muscles will get worked. OK, he didn't have to call the "V" sexy. But, he didn't push it or comment on whether or not you were sexy. A bit rude since he had to get your attention.

Take what advice he gives you and research it - as a gym staff member, whatever. If it is sound and helpful, then let it go and be glad you learned something.

If he is giving advice that isn't something that would work for you (and tries to do so routinely), I'd simply tell him you personally don't like getting advice without asking for it from other members.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You didn't ask him for advice, he didn't introduce himself, he is a stranger, yet he gave you "tips" on looking "sexy" (to his eye)... I don't think these things are okay.