LADIES: your period and working out?

Options

Replies

• SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you can, consider birth control. I lost ~8 days a month before birth control. Now I take continuous hormones (no sugar pills) and I'm functional every day, even when I have occasional spotting.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Honestly, these posts about girls who don't work out on their periods just seem like excuses to me. If you're really serious about getting in shape then stick with it, no matter what time of the month.

^^This
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    have some ibuprofen and get on with your life. don't feel like exercising for 3 days? so? don't. not gonna make a difference.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Honestly, these posts about girls who don't work out on their periods just seem like excuses to me. If you're really serious about getting in shape then stick with it, no matter what time of the month.
    you took the words out of my mouth. Unless I am dying, throwing up, have horrible diarrhea, and/someone has cut off all my limbs I don't buy "I can't workout...."

until you have walked in someone elses shoes.......
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't have incredibly painful periods anymore (yay seasonal b.c.!), but I try to workout at least a little during my period. It's hard because it's uncomfortable and a fit of cramping can make you feel like you're about to fall over, but exercise does help ease the pain! I also totally understand the pain and the tiredness, so if you don't think you'll feel BETTER after working out, take a personal day and rest. Periods are hard.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry days before its going to start. I find if I train during, that I have less symptoms and it ends faster! I sleep like a rock and actually lose a couple of pounds the week following. Water weight I'm guessing.

Wow. Pretty much exactly what happens to me. I get ravenous 1-2 days before, don't want food while on it, and lose water weight after.

I hate working out when I'm "OTR" (on the rag), especially if I'm having cramps and related symptoms. If I can force myself to move, walking partially relieves my symptoms. Thermacare back wraps worn backwards, over my lower abdomen, also help.

If you're able to take ibuprofen as a pain reliever, it apparently acts directly on the path responsible for menstrual pain, more specifically than other pain relievers in the same category.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'd work out anyway. It really sucks in the moment, but you will honestly probably feel better afterwards. Also...you haven't lived until you've done squats with a tampon in.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I know an expert in this field!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Tone police here.

Let's all remember that we all have different bodies. Some people get severe menstrual symptoms, others get mild ones, others don't suffer anything more than the inconvenience of using 'feminine protection products'. (really, doesn't that expression sound like it should apply to pink firearms or something?)

It's really not fair of us to say "everyone must just push through their symptoms". We really can't know what someone else's experience is.

Let us try to support the level of effort each individual can put forth, without being critical of them if one person can do less than some other person. Just like when we treadmill beside a friend whose fitness differs from ours--encourage your friend within what their body can do today, not compared to anyone else.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

I'm just an enthusiast
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Tone police here.

Let's all remember that we all have different bodies. Some people get severe menstrual symptoms, others get mild ones, others don't suffer anything more than the inconvenience of using 'feminine protection products'. (really, doesn't that expression sound like it should apply to pink firearms or something?)

It's really not fair of us to say "everyone must just push through their symptoms". We really can't know what someone else's experience is.

Let us try to support the level of effort each individual can put forth, without being critical of them if one person can do less than some other person. Just like when we treadmill beside a friend whose fitness differs from ours--encourage your friend within what their body can do today, not compared to anyone else.

No idea if this is directed at me at all or not, but I also just want to say that my rough days of my period pretty much makes me wonder if my uterus is falling out and I still push through it. Not saying anyone else has to, I just said what I would do because it makes me feel better after.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I was so excited not to be pregnant that I got up and worked out.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i usually work out during the period between 8:30pm and 10:00pm.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I wouldnt call myself an expert, but I appreciate your confidence in me!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to periods everyone's is different. Sure there are some people out there that make any excuse not to work out or not to eat healthy but I have seen my daughter go through such agony with her period that all she can do is lay in bed and she is extremely active the rest of the time . I know for me I try to workout at a lower intensity and see how I feel . Sometimes working out helps but sometimes I just cant get the motivation. Just try to only take off the time you need to which is usually 1 or 2 of your heaviest days or try yoga or something that relaxes you
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well... you could just take a walk instead of working out.

But generally, if I'm on my period and I don't feel like working out because of pain, then I won't. Just don't fall out of the good habit of routinely working out.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I would give you a sympathetic heartfelt reply...but it would have been the thousandth time I've done it on a TOM thread.

The search feature is your friend.

:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    or try yoga or something that relaxes you

Yoga is generally not recommended during your period.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Why do you say this? I am a certified fitness instructor and there is no basis for not doing yoga on your period
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Why do you say this? I am a certified fitness instructor and there is no basis for not doing yoga on your period

Just what I have read in instruction manuals. I've never taken a class so I don't know.