LADIES: your period and working out?

1235»

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Yoga is generally not recommended during your period.

Why do you say this? I am a certified fitness instructor and there is no basis for not doing yoga on your period

Just what I have read in instruction manuals. I've never taken a class so I don't know.

Many of my yoga instructors have told me not to do certain poses during my period...Mainly inversions because well...with the whole bleeding and all...getting light headed while upside down. Its not recommended.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Eat cookies. Lots of them.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member

Yoga is generally not recommended during your period.

Why do you say this? I am a certified fitness instructor and there is no basis for not doing yoga on your period

I was wondering the same thing. I've done yoga while on my period. I've also ran 12 miles, did zumba, body pump, lifted weights, kick boxed, and spinning. I understand that each woman is different, but exercise is excellent for helping to relieve period symptoms.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    but that was debunked along with orgasms lol

Now I haz a sadz for you!

ajrmn8jpg.gif
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,795 Member
    Okay I will find the research to show everyone it was debunked. It's an old wives tale. Sharks wont be attracted to you on your period either but a lot of people still believe that one too
    But if I got lightheaded while doing a downward dog I woukldnt do it
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Orgasms were debunked? I HAVE BEEN LIED TO!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Oh I know there was talk some time ago about inversions being bad while on your period but that was debunked along with orgasms lol

I'm going to assume you're referring to the "orgasms ease cramps" theory (not that orgasms don't exist because yea, that would be sad). Have to say - it works for me, at least temporarily.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    I have to say... in my 3 plus years here, these "OMG I'm bleeding!" threads have gotten a lot better. Are we slowly educating ourselves on how our bodies work? Wild!