Any TeacherPals Out There?!!

Options
I'm new to MFP and lost 5 lbs before I joined. Problem is I've GAINED 20 since becoming a teacher!! So, I need some motivators to help me because I'm gonna be backsliding once the school year starts with little time and extra stress. If you're a teacher, you know what I mean :wink:

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I teach HS English and AP Lit and Comp. This is year 11 for me and I am DREADING the return to work. You can maintain that healthy lifestyle upon your return with scheduling WOs and meal prepping on weekends. I find it's easier for me to maintain at work, bc I bring my lunch and I don't have access to food, so I eat what I bring, but the problem ususally occurs once I get home and I haven't eaten enough then I'm ravenous.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I teacher Special Ed at a school for autism. And they're are ALWAYS snacks and candy EVERYWHERE! lol so annoying! Feel free to friend me :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    The way I cope is to not even try to eat clean. If I put that pressure on me I fail and end up ordering a take away. During the week (or even term time as it has been this last term) I eat a lot of prepared foods, either microwave meals, or bung in the oven foods. As long as it fits my calories I am not caring right now. I'll care more when I've broken up for the summer and I have more time on my hands to shop for fresh ingredients and cook. Right now - it is working. It's stopping me from eating complete and utter sht comparatively speaking, and I've managed to lose 21.5lbs so far so it can't be bad. :)
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I teach at a 2 year college, and during my first school year gained around 12 pounds. All that free food every other day :angry: I'm off during this summer and successfully lost that weight plus a little more, but a bit concerned about not being able to keep it off once school starts in august. Feel fee to add me, colleagues :drinker:
  • leska53
    leska53 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5th grade teacher getting ready to go back to work at the beginning of August. This will be my 30th year of teaching. My problem is the snack time after school and before dinner when I'll eat anything not nailed down! By the time I'm ready to exercise in the evening, I'm too pooped to do much of anything. I need to lose (at first) about 30 pounds and anything extra after that first 30 pounds will be great.
  • leska53
    leska53 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic!:smile:
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I start my student teaching in October. Yes, I will be a older student teacher. I need to lose 15 pounds to be comfortable in my work clothes. So 15 pounds in 3 months! I hope I can do it! I'm not too worried about food at school, I will always bring my own. I already eat pretty well but I have been eating too much the last couple of years. Lots of family stress and sweat pants! I could use a couple of teacher friends. Add me if you want:wink:
  • FitMomZoe
    FitMomZoe Posts: 4
    Options
    I am a high school math teacher (all areas) and currently teaching summer school. I am also an active beach body coach. I make my shakeology shakes during lunch time and work out once I get home and get my baby settled in. I also wear ankle weights in the winter to burn more calories when I move around the classroom :)
  • Geekygal85
    Geekygal85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school science teacher. I have a mini-fridge in my room that I keep full of healthier choices. I keep some fruit and yogurt and the occasional tv dinner (for days when I feel like it). I also keep a "snack" drawer by my fridge as well that has a bunch of 100 calorie snack packs like cookies and popcorn that come in handy for those after school munchies. I have also found that my students keep me on track because once they find out that I am trying to lose weight, they are very encouraging. By doing all this I managed to lose 35lbs last school year.
  • motal003
    motal003 Posts: 28
    Options
    I am a teacher too...and yes, I am, too, struggling with finding a balance between work and exercise. At the end of the day, I am so tired that I want to just pass out in bed.

One thing I have done is I try to buy comfortable clothes for work so that if i have like a 10 or 15 minute break, I do some exercises on campus. We have this long stair way, and I run up and down the stairs a few times during my breaks.

I pretty much do whatever it takes to stay active at work. My office has no windows, so sometimes I lock the door, get on the floor, spread the yoga mat, and do 100 sit ups.

So just find little moments to get your heart rate up.

Good luck.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I teach HS English and AP Lit and Comp. This is year 11 for me and I am DREADING the return to work. You can maintain that healthy lifestyle upon your return with scheduling WOs and meal prepping on weekends. I find it's easier for me to maintain at work, bc I bring my lunch and I don't have access to food, so I eat what I bring, but the problem ususally occurs once I get home and I haven't eaten enough then I'm ravenous.

This ^^
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I currently go to university and will be a teacher in Germany for the "Gymnasium"/vocational school next year.
    Uniersity made me fat :-D
    One of the reasons why I lost weight was that the German government doesn´t give the good and safe jobs to obesed teachers. So hopefully I won´t fall off track when I start teaching.

Anyway. feel free to add me if you want :flowerforyou:
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a middle school Spanish teacher. I lost 20 pounds last year and it slowly crept back up on me due to new teacher stresses :ohwell: I have a new placement this year and a new gym, so I'm using summer to build my motivation again before school is back in session!
  • michaelosx
    michaelosx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be backsliding once the school year starts with little time and extra stress.

With MFP, I've learned "backsliding" is okay, as long as I track my calories and stay within my calorie goal. I started summer with an exercise log (12-week calendar format), with weight goals in the margin. Two days ago I added two more pages to the log which I will use to track progress to my goal weight. I am excited to know that I will reach my goal by winter break.

Figure out what might impede your progress, and plan for how to address those issues. That's the type of advice we might give students, right? You can do this. Even the stress we normally feel will be alleviated somewhat by the exercise we now make part of our daily routines. We can do this!!!
  • honee_bear
    honee_bear Posts: 28
    Options
    You can maintain that healthy lifestyle upon your return with scheduling WOs and meal prepping on weekends.

Now, there's an idea
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    High school teacher here...trying to lose weight that I gained last school year...it is so hard to find time to work out during the year... I hope to lose it this summer and keep it off next year!
  • Kasgal150
    Kasgal150 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm a middle school teacher and understand the struggles! There are always yummy looking snacks brought into the teacher's lounge or kindly left on my desk. I have had to create two entirely new curriculums and then learn two new curriculums in my first two years of teaching. I definitely struggled with finding the time to exercise and prepare healthy meals, but am determined to succeed this school year! I'm not going to let all of my hard summer work be wasted. Anyone looking for friends on mfp can feel welcome to add me!
  • honee_bear
    Options
    ikr, the birthday cupcakes did me in!
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school science teacher. I have a mini-fridge in my room that I keep full of healthier choices. I keep some fruit and yogurt and the occasional tv dinner (for days when I feel like it). I also keep a "snack" drawer by my fridge as well that has a bunch of 100 calorie snack packs like cookies and popcorn that come in handy for those after school munchies. I have also found that my students keep me on track because once they find out that I am trying to lose weight, they are very encouraging. By doing all this I managed to lose 35lbs last school year.
    ^this
    The mini fridge and micro are lifesavers.
  • honee_bear
    Options
    I have also found that my students keep me on track because once they find out that I am trying to lose weight, they are very encouraging. By doing all this I managed to lose 35lbs last school year.

35 pounds is amazing!! I want to be you :-) What an awesome idea to get the students to help. My son kept snatching snickers bars and super cupcakes from me this summer.