Picking running shoes for a first time flat footed runner

Options
13»

Replies

• RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree that gait analysis is useless. When I started running I had no idea what kind of damage the wrong shoes could do until I had a traumatic injury because of them. I had to walk with a cane for many weeks and have months of rehab. Once I was ready to run again I went to the running store and had gait analysis. I was fitted with different shoes and custom insoles and the difference was like night and day.

I'm now running faster and farther than I ever did all because I have the right shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain I'll enjoy running even with proper shoes! I'm really doing it to help an overweight friend that asked me to join her. That and I'm at my weight goal so could use something to strive for. So far the program is a bit easy for me but it's set for my friends fitness level, we'll see how much I like it when it becomes more challenging. So far the pace is so slow I could walk faster!!

I started running as something to help my weight loss, it wasn't my first choice but it fitted my personal circumstances. I loathe working out in gyms, prefer cycling but I was doing a lot of travel, so a bag of running kit was easier than a road bike.

Once I'd finished C25K and I was seeing results I moved on to 10K training, then it became all about the additional challenges, always seeing improvement.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Fit is important. Fit is important. Also, fit is important.

Everything starts with the foot.

Call it whatever: gait, form, technique analysis. It's fit first, then function.

There is one thing the "barefoot"/minimalist crowd gets correct: choose the lowest, least amount of drop you can get away with.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy running until I had shoes that suited me.

I'm not certain I'll enjoy running even with proper shoes! I'm really doing it to help an overweight friend that asked me to join her. That and I'm at my weight goal so could use something to strive for. So far the program is a bit easy for me but it's set for my friends fitness level, we'll see how much I like it when it becomes more challenging. So far the pace is so slow I could walk faster!!
    If it helps, I read in an article somewhere that you burn more calories running at a walking pace (and conversely walking at a running pace) than you would running faster because it's an unnatural movement for your body. :happy:
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    When I first started to try to run, I was wearing New Balance motion control shoes. They felt more like lead weights on my feet and made it very hard to run. Other runners recommended Vibram Five Fingers so I tried them and really liked running in them. I was able to get up to about 9 miles in training before I had an injury to the left ankle. The injury healed in about three weeks and I was back running again until another injury this time to the right ankle put a temporary stop to my running. The second injury took over ten months to heal and I attended Bikram Yoga classes during that time to replace some of my lost fitness but also to strengthen and work the injured ankle.

I am now back to running and have done a ten mile race (Broad Street Run) but I no longer run in minimalist footwear. I am currently running in Brooks Addictions with SuperFeet Green insoles. My flat feet are huge: my running shoes are size 14 - EEEE (talk about your wide toe box!). My feet have issues besides being flat and wide, I have an Accessory Navicular bone in both feet (http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/accessory_navicular_syndrome.htm).

I have had my feet looked at both at a running specialty store and by a factory rep from SuperFeet and they both told me to never run in minimalist footwear and that I was correct in wearing something such as the Brooks Beast or my present shoes the Brooks Addictions.

Check out the Brooks web site, they have an online advisor that will give you a start to understand your feet.
  • fivefootfitness
    Options
    AMEN AMEN AMEN to the pro-Brooks comment

I don't care what people's take on gait analysis is--my shoes are great regardless. I have the "middle" type of arched/flat feet (naturally arched when relaxed, but splay and pancake entirely when place down. dancers sometimes differentiate between the three types of arch, I'm not sure if the rest of the world does.) Anyway, I was in the same predicament last summer and stopped in a running specialty store in my town (talk about convenient). I tried on some...I don't like flashy shoes as someone who was so new to running and didn't want much attention. I almost went with one pair of so-so saucony shoes, but then of course the saleswoman saw how novice I was and heard my max prcie tag...and whipped out brand new Brooks Glycerin 11's for me to try.

They. Are, Amazing. The heel and tongue is so plush, and the sole is super duper lightweight. Toe box is spacious enough for my flattened toes. They're vibrant colors (except the gray/blue pair I just updated to) but you don't really notice once you try them. also, they are incredibly stable soles, so regardless of whether people are into gait analysis or not, I've never been afraid of rolling my ankle or anything (if you do believe in gait an. they're recommended for a neutral step). they cost 150 when they came out, but I think you can find them even under 89 online (but still do sizing in store!)

only cons that i can think of, is the mesh in the toe isn't designed to let as much air flow through as shoes that are specifically designed to, so those really hot runs can get sweaty, but it's never been uncomfortable. Also, the insole isn't especially cushy, but I don't think any running insoles are? again, you don't notice once you're running. never experienced shin splints, sprains, or foot cramps once i got them.

great for all surface running. I frequent asphalt and treadmills no issues, and feel surprisingly stable when I run over gravel or dirt roads. also, i stopped running for a while and used them to scurry across campus everyday for a while, so if you give up running they still do the trick for other workouts, for the most part, and you'll be comfy as heck doing it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Glycerin-Running-Shoes/dp/B00DRO8U1W
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The first pair of shoes I tried were Brooks but I needed a half size larger and took them back. They were very comfy other than the black toenail issue I was having with them due to the size. When I tried the next larger size I had major problems with the heels slipping so I ended up switching to Mizunos and I love them! The heel on the Mizunos is a little narrower so I don't have the slipping problem that wearing shoes a size and a half too big might otherwise cause.

One a related note, my dad has terrible problems with his feet. He and my mom came with my sister and I to the expo for the Rock 'N Roll Arizona race in 2013 and he won a free pair of shoes at the Brooks exhibit. They did the gait analysis, he told them he needed them for walking not running, and they found him the perfect pair. He says the are the most comfortable pair of shoes he can ever remember wearing.