1000 Calories a Day, Not Hungry - Bad/Ok?

Replies

• 2 posts in a row. One on starvation mode and the other on Dr. Oz.

Priceless.

?? We're having a friendly discussion on a community message board. What's your point of view?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,202 Member
    There is so much NO in this thread...

OP, your profile says you have 8 pounds to lose. I don't know how tall you are, or if you are weighing your food, but at 1000 calories per day, you are probably not getting the protein required to maintain lean muscle mass. Yes, you will lose weight if your are actually eating that low. However, a higher percentage of that will be muscle, and you will be far more likely to see those pounds return (with friends). When you get to your goal weight, you won't look the way you want because of muscle loss. You are better off setting your goals to .5 pounds per week, eating at a reasonable deficit, going slowly, and getting the results you want.

Yes, agreed - and I don't think most posters said otherwise.

However the exact amount every single day doesn't matter and if OP eats under 1000 now and then, I don't see the big deal.

I eat 200 under my goal now and then, I eat 200 over my goal now and then. As long as the average is around the mark it's all ok.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    bad bad bad bad bad

Why, exactly?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    What is so ridiculous about 1000 anyway if starvation mode doesn't exist?

We don't have to get emotional. It's late, I'm tired. :smile:
  • fatcity66
    I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably naturally want to eat a little more on following days, or whenever your stress lightens up. If we went into starvation mode by listening to our bodies instead of an app, how do all the people on earth (and animals) not counting calories avoid being in starvation mode all the time?

^^THIS
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    I have days where I eat 800-1k calories because I'm just not hungry.
    haven't had any problems unless I do it all week I get very light headed try to stay in your calorie goal but if not do not force yourself.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    OP you're not hungry because your hunger hormones are shutting down. It's ok if you want to eat that little, your body will thank you by tapping into your lean body mass, muscles, organs, your skin hair and nails will suffer as will your other hormones that make you vital and energetic and attractive.

You can do that if you like! Then your appetite will come back with a vengeance and you'll probably binge, feel ashamed, and gain more weight. But that's ok.
  • Keeping this short. I'm 25, female, not in great shape/don't currently exercise, 5'6, trying to lose 10 pounds (142 right now, aiming for about 132). I've been aiming to eat 1200 calories a day, and I've been doing pretty well, haven't been too hungry because I generally choose the right foods. I'm wondering if it's okay to eat less than 1200 calories per day if i'm just not feeling hungry? This usually happens when I have emotional distress, which I have right now. Will my body go straight into starvation mode making it harder for me to lose fat? Thanks for your advice.

It is 'okay', if you deem it to be so. You will lose more quickly. Starvation mode is a fallacy. However, you will stress your heart with that few calories; there may be other adverse effects. Your choice.
  • fatcity66
    So many people advocating 1000 calorie diets it's ridiculous.

So many people spouting off about starvation mode, it's ridiculous.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Unless you have VERY LITTLE body fat then you do not need to worry about starvation mode. Sorry to break the bad news to the crowd of people who want to believe that 'eating more promotes more weight loss' but the only things you need to worry about eating 1000 calories a day are:

- you MAY not be getting sufficient nutrients (not a problem if you are eating a diet full of plants, whole grains and protein)
    - you may get hungry and binge
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    OP - add some peanut butter or something similar.

1200 is too aggressive if you only have 8lbs to lose, imo.
  • fatcity66
    I think this is an interesting experiment addressing VLCD (very low calorie diets):

http://www.lift-heavy.com/ilcd-diet/

I found much of his blog very informative, actually.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Start with some workout plan and drink lot of water (6-7 liters). I think that time you will feel hungry .

And sometimes go for cheat meals once in a week.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    The same reasons that have been laid out to you repeatedly why you defend low calorie diet till no end. So going through that again with you is pointless. No one will convince you going down to 1000 calories isn't necessary. And I couldn't care if you didn't see things my way. Arguing with faceless pictures who preach and preach without results gets boring.
    Who said 1000 is *necessary*?

I promise I have a face, and 'results'. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If it's only the odd day every once in a while or even once or twice a week then yeah it's fine. I tend to have some days where I eat even less than 1000 because I'm busy/not hungry/too lazy to cook etc... but if you average my week it settles at around 1600 calories a day. Try to sum your calories for all days in the week, if they are less than 8500 (preferably 10,000) you may have a problem. Eating too low for extended periods of time will put you at risk for deficiencies, energy dips, fatigue, and uncontrollable hunger pangs.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    I'm going to be honest, it sounds to me like you need to tackle the emotional distress causing you to eat so little, and worry about the rest later. If something is hurting your appetite this much, it is clearly bothering you and figuring out why it's bothering you will then help you figure out why it's harming your appetite and solve the problem.

But to answer your question, as long as you don't make a habit of it, you should be okay. Just don't eat less than 1200 every day. And no, you won't go into starvation mode from eating 1000 calories once or twice.