FIBER !!

Options
2»

Replies

• garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I avoid fiber supplements. They don't help me. Raisin Bran 7 , Crunchy Corn Bran 5 for 3/4 cup , Blackberries 7, pears 6, dry beans like pinto 15, and kidney 8 gm, lentils 8 ., green peas, 8 I look for insoluble fiber--we used to call it roughage. Don't forget prunes12gm but watch the 418 calories. I substitute pearl barley for rice in recipes because barley has 6 gm fiber per cup and brown rice only <3. These are given per cup so you can compare. Go make some chili using pinto beans and your troubles should be over. Nuts are great, too but watch the calories because they are so high in beneficial fat. One cup of almonds has 15 gm fiber but 821 calories! Use the USDA source. www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp Note that oatmeal has 300 cal, 8 gm fiber but 4 are soluble, which is good for you but does little for constipation. I eat it several days a week. Cantelope is also good because it draws water into the colon. If all else fails, buy an over the counter stool softener.

I have been wondering about substituting some pearl barley for my rice when I cook rice. Do you think I could cook it all together just like rice?
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have had terrible problems with this. I have started including nuts in my diet and an apple everyday (or I try to) and this seems to get me going with no problem! I know it's gross but it has helped me so much.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    100 % pure pumpkin is the way to go!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Just becareful when consuming fiber too much at one time can cause your body to remain constipated and bloated.. It's miserable. Beans are a good source a gastrointestinal doctor would recommend a fiber supplement along with your balanced diet.
  • kaddie125
    Options
    Just becareful when consuming fiber too much at one time can cause your body to remain constipated and bloated.. It's miserable. Beans are a good source a gastrointestinal doctor would recommend a fiber supplement along with your balanced diet.

Agreed! Make sure to drink lots of water too. Especially if you're getting your fiber from powders. If you mix too much powder into your drink and it isn't the recommended scoops per cup of water ratio, it will backfire. It will end up having a reverse effect and actually act like a plug. Ick. Powders never worked for me. Blueberries and all bran! Especially blueberry bran muffins that stuff gets the job done perfectly! Nowadays its mainly just drinking loads of water that gets the job done.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have had terrible problems with this. I have started including nuts in my diet and an apple everyday (or I try to) and this seems to get me going with no problem! I know it's gross but it has helped me so much.

I might have to go with this one. I have been eating an apple a day for quite a while now. I have IBS so I have very sluggish bowels and issues with constipation anyway. For the last few days I haven't been eating my apple and I've had a hard time the last few days. I'll have to check out the nuts - I prefer mine in Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut Butter which is YUMMY with apples. I'm having a hard time getting my calories each day and nuts and peanut butter really seem to do the trick.

Of course the mornings I have my Fiber One Original there are no issues. 14 grams and MFP only gives me 16g. But I make sure to try for at least 25g - because of my IBS.

But I tell you- I'm just happy to have it happening on a regular basis. (I went on a cruise back in 2001 and didn't have one BM for that entire week - that's rough).