Why Skinny-Fat people are generally ignored???

Options
123457»

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    The OP, Aniqana, has left the "kitchen" and deactivated her account. I guess the discussion in this "kitchen" was too much heat for her to take.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why should I accept or be happy with arm bigger than my head

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but if your arm is bigger than your head, you have a different definition of "skinny" than I do ...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Because the morbidly obese people are probably going to die or get severely more sick before you so, I think THEY have more of a problem than just aesthetics.

Oh, she'ss gone? Good. Another plea for attention. So tiresome.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat people are not ignored, you just aren't being told what you seem to want to hear. If you are skinny fat, as in are at a healthy weight for your height but have a high body fat percentage, focusing on the number on the scale isn't the right way to go. Your goal is less about losing weight and more about body composition, in which you reduce your body fat while retaining your lean muscle.

In order to do that, you need to eat at a slight deficit, about 0.5 lb loss per week, so that you will be losing fat and not muscle. Lift heavy weights, do a little bit of cardio, eat lots of protein to feed your muscles. You probably won't see much movement on the scale, but your measurements will shrink and you will be smaller and tighter.

ETA: You can see changes within four weeks, but you are not going to see a massive overhaul in that time. The process takes time, but it's worth it to get the body you want.
    seconded.

though im inclined to think that "skinny-fat" people should start out by bulking to get a good muscle base before cutting.
    if you cut then bulk, you will end up gaining a decent amount of fat in the process, and since skinny-fat people by definition dont have much muscle mass they cannot afford to lose any before bulking, as well as the fact that at a lower muscle mass you burn less calories so your eating is more restricted. if you bulk and then cut you may lose some of the muscle that you gained in the bulking process however it will be easier to cut down the fat at a higher weight with more muscle

Agreed as well!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Aaron_K123 writes...
    Haven't read the thread yet but my first thought when I read the title was this.

People who are morbidly obese are at severe health risk and their weight loss is vital to their long term health. Losing weight is what they should do and losing weight is what they want to do but struggle with. Therefore lots of response.

Someone who is skinnyfat is not overweight, not particularly at risk...they just don't like the way they look. A skinnyfat person would benefit most in terms of health by gaining weight in the form of muscle yet many seem to think they need to calorie restricte to get rid of a "stomach pooch" they seem utterly fixated on. Posters say this, OP says no no....I want to lose weight not gain it and conversation ends.

I think one should review the particular opinion of someone who is "skinnyfat" not being at risk. Actualy, the visceral fat that many outside observers can't really see when a skinnyfat person is clothed, is indeed a health risk. It raises cholesterol, causes disease, and is just as much at risk as a body type that would not be considered "skinnyfat".

Typically, the body type known as an Ectomorph is what we see ending up in the "skinnyfat" syndrome. An Ectomorph has skinny limbs that are long (both legs and arms), is lightly muscled, usually carries lower body fat, has small shoulders/chest/butt, has extreme difficulty gaining muscle weight, and has a fast and efficient metabolism. Yet, as they age and the CICO gets out of whack - they can still appear "skinny", but the fat starts packing on in the midsection where men will notice love handles, moobs, etc... while the women will notice some gain in the belly, hips, breasts, etc... . Yes - they will usually still appear as "skinny" to others because they are tall and lanky which is well hidden and distributed when clothed.

I know, I have that particular body type at 6'4" and my current weight of 165. I got as high as 212, before dropping down into the 180's. And this year was able to shed 21 pounds from 187 down to 165 and change. At no time did anyone call me "fat". Nor did I ever look, for all practical purposes to anyone (at least while I was clothed) as "fat". Sure, I saw the love handles, belly, and chest in the mirror with the shirt off, but that was not seen by others (outside of my family).

However, the visceral fat that I was concealing under my clothing needed to be trimmed away for reasons Aaron mentions "was not a problem". Although my weight was in the norm for my height, my heart doctor and I had a discussion about how I could get off of the cholesterol lowering medications (I was on due to family history and my inability to get the numbers low enough on my own with proper diet and exercise). Last chance was to trim the visceral fat. So I lost 12.7% of my body weight (thus far). Simply by trimming the fat that I did, I have been able to get off of cholesterol lowering medication. My current weight puts me at less risk for disease and other health issues.

Ectopmorphs all know exactly what "skinnyfat" means and looks like. Other body types probably will remain clueless about it, but it does exist. And the health risk is there as well for men and women who have the Ectomorph body type and carry around the dreaded health risk visceral fat due to the CICO equation having gotten out of balance which led to the weight gain.

I didn't see any pictures of the OP before she deactivated her account, but there will be other Ectomorphs who get in the "skinnyfat" syndrome that will post on the forums in the future. They can get lean and mean with proper training, and diet. It will lower their health risk, and improve their look for what is under the clothing. Others may not see it, but the Ectomorph will see it and know it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 writes...
    Haven't read the thread yet but my first thought when I read the title was this.

People who are morbidly obese are at severe health risk and their weight loss is vital to their long term health. Losing weight is what they should do and losing weight is what they want to do but struggle with. Therefore lots of response.

Someone who is skinnyfat is not overweight, not particularly at risk...they just don't like the way they look. A skinnyfat person would benefit most in terms of health by gaining weight in the form of muscle yet many seem to think they need to calorie restricte to get rid of a "stomach pooch" they seem utterly fixated on. Posters say this, OP says no no....I want to lose weight not gain it and conversation ends.

I think one should review the particular opinion of someone who is "skinnyfat" not being at risk. Actualy, the visceral fat that many outside observers can't really see when a skinnyfat person is clothed, is indeed a health risk. It raises cholesterol, causes disease, and is just as much at risk as a body type that would not be considered "skinnyfat".

Typically, the body type known as an Ectomorph is what we see ending up in the "skinnyfat" syndrome. An Ectomorph has skinny limbs that are long (both legs and arms), is lightly muscled, usually carries lower body fat, has small shoulders/chest/butt, has extreme difficulty gaining muscle weight, and has a fast and efficient metabolism. Yet, as they age and the CICO gets out of whack - they can still appear "skinny", but the fat starts packing on in the midsection where men will notice love handles, moobs, etc... while the women will notice some gain in the belly, hips, breasts, etc... . Yes - they will usually still appear as "skinny" to others because they are tall and lanky which is well hidden and distributed when clothed.

I know, I have that particular body type at 6'4" and my current weight of 165. I got as high as 212, before dropping down into the 180's. And this year was able to shed 21 pounds from 187 down to 165 and change. At no time did anyone call me "fat". Nor did I ever look, for all practical purposes to anyone (at least while I was clothed) as "fat". Sure, I saw the love handles, belly, and chest in the mirror with the shirt off, but that was not seen by others (outside of my family).

However, the visceral fat that I was concealing under my clothing needed to be trimmed away for reasons Aaron mentions "was not a problem". Although my weight was in the norm for my height, my heart doctor and I had a discussion about how I could get off of the cholesterol lowering medications (I was on due to family history and my inability to get the numbers low enough on my own with proper diet and exercise). Last chance was to trim the visceral fat. So I lost 12.7% of my body weight (thus far). Simply by trimming the fat that I did, I have been able to get off of cholesterol lowering medication. My current weight puts me at less risk for disease and other health issues.

Ectopmorphs all know exactly what "skinnyfat" means and looks like. Other body types probably will remain clueless about it, but it does exist. And the health risk is there as well for men and women who have the Ectomorph body type and carry around the dreaded health risk visceral fat due to the CICO equation having gotten out of balance which led to the weight gain.

I didn't see any pictures of the OP before she deactivated her account, but there will be other Ectomorphs who get in the "skinnyfat" syndrome that will post on the forums in the future. They can get lean and mean with proper training, and diet. It will lower their health risk, and improve their look for what is under the clothing. Others may not see it, but the Ectomorph will see it and know it.

It depends on where it is. The little bit of saddlebags I have on my hips can be hidden pretty easily, too, but it's not the kind of risk my man-style gut is for a woman to be toting around.
  • enzosmama
    enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Why do you care so much about what everyone else has to say about your goals? Your goals are your own, your motivation is your own, your reasons are your own. If people can't get on board with that- who cares? Do you need that attention to succeed and be motivated? You should motivate yourself. Do this for yourself, not for the attention you'll get from it. People can chose to support you or not support you. The non-supporters can either do so in silence or you can remove the negativity from your life.

Don't worry so much about being ignored or getting positive feedback from other people. Stick to your goals and work hard. You will feel good when you accomplish something for yourself- not for the attention it gets you.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    It depends on where it is. The little bit of saddlebags I have on my hips can be hidden pretty easily, too, but it's not the kind of risk my man-style gut is for a woman to be toting around.

You might want to educate yourself a bit more on the dangers of being skinny fat and association with risk of disease.

http://www.stylelist.com/read/skinny-fat-dangers-of-hidden-fat/

"But what we need to realize is that while obesity carries high risk of disease and cardiovascular issues, those who are 'skinny fat' might be at an even higher risk."

According to Time, "a 2014 report on people with 'normal weight obesity'-normal BMI, high body fat-found that they have a significantly higher risk of metabolic problems and death from these diseases than any other group."

So yes, you know that if you eat a lot of processed foods and excess sugar you're setting yourself up for danger. But while this kind of diet might not always make you go up a pant size, it does something worse: produces visceral fat. Different from its counterpart the highly visible subcutaneous fat, visceral fat will coat your organs. Because of its proximity to vital organs and virtual invisibility from the outside, it's far more dangerous and deadly.

=====

And...

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/skinny-fat

A snip from that link...

=====
    A 2008 study found that about one-fourth of U.S. adults with normal weight have some form of an unhealthy heart, like high blood pressure or cholesterol. Older adults with normal BMIs (well-known to be an imperfect measurement) but high levels of body fat are at greater risk for cardiovascular disease and death than previously realized, according to a 2013 study published in the American Journal of Cardiology. More recently, a 2014 report on people with "normal weight obesity"—normal BMI, high body fat—found that they have a significantly higher risk of metabolic problems and death from these diseases than any other group.

"When you're eating a diet high in sugar and processed foods, it causes visceral fat storage, and that can lead to all sorts of risk factors of being overweight," says Mark Hyman, M.D., author of The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet. Sometimes a person may not have a lot of fat stored up overall, but what they do have is the most dangerous kind. So a person may not be heavy, but their organs could be coated with visceral fat, whose origins, researchers recently discovered, are genetically different from that of subcutaneous fat. This can cause metabolic syndrome—when someone has several conditions, like high blood pressure and high blood sugar, that put him or her at a high risk for heart disease, diabetes, or stroke.
    =====

http://time.com/14407/the-hidden-dangers-of-skinny-fat/

http://www.stylelist.com/read/skinny-fat-dangers-of-hidden-fat/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18594089/ns/health-fitness/t/thin-people-can-be-fat-inside/#.U-9Y8SQ-3WY

The high risk remains for the skinny fat crowd due to the visceral fat that needs to be burned off via diet, exercise - or a combination of both.